hosta_freak

Going back into hybernation..

hosta_freak
9 years ago

Not my hostas,but me. See ya next year! Phil

Comments (16)

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I know the feeling!! This morning I hunted slugs and it was 56 degrees!! It made me wonder at what temp do the slugs go back into hybernation?!!

• luuk
    9 years ago

Here today we had 90 degrees, ...the colors melt down, look this green flow.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

LOL, Phil! Holy hosta, Arcy! Beautiful!
    LUUK, what is THAT one called? What a great pic!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Why are you going into hibernation???

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

56 degrees sounds pretty comfortable in the early morning, at least to me. Was that a low temp, Arcy? Your garden looks amazing, by the way!

What's wrong, Phil? Why the hibernation?

(Stares open-mouthed at Luuk's hosta, wondering WHAT IT IS...)

Don B.

• luuk
    9 years ago

Josy/Don, I'm glad to have stimulated your curiosity, ...is a Liberty, some unusual new leaves are growing.
    {{gwi:1024959}}

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Whoa, there luuk...that must be the most incredible sport I've seen. Now that is one I would be desperate to see return!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, the low was 56 with a 25 mile an hour breeze..so it was CHILLY IMHO. It did not hit 70 yesterday. Today we woke to 50 but the high will be 10 degrees up from yesterday. I love the 70's!!!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

That's a very rare Liberty leaf, would be a winner in hosta sales.
    We in NY have 65 and constant rain. Plants got really big and love the moisture. Tomorrow might be dry and everyone here will be mowing high lawns.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don,and tropic lover,there is nothing left to say. The hosta garden looks like crap,and it will just have to hang on until next year. Yes I know I posted a few pics,but what's a few hostas,compared to 350 plus that look bad? The rest of the garden isn't worth a pic,until next year. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Gotcha, Arcy. Yeah, a 25 MPH breeze is a bit stiff. That'll do it.

Thanks for telling us what your plant is, Luuk. Beautiful leaf.

Don B.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Phil,

Sorry you're discouraged....understandably. I've seen the beautiful stand of hostas near your ginger jar.

Third day of rain here, coolish and the weeds are agrowin'. On a positive note, so are the hostas, as my hubby is reminding me

Nice sport. luuk. I'd buy that one.

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 9:11

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Thanks, LUUK! I'd be guarding that one!
    Josy ;-)

Here's to next year, Phil. Enjoy what you can - HOPE keeps us going. I've realized that there is safety in numbers...even though some suffer, there will be those that flourish - appreciate those till next year. :-)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Phil- Come on now, you have been growing these for years. We know how beautiful your garden retreat can be. It is very frustrating of see them get wrecked in spring knowing that it ain't gonna get better in summer. BUT please don't abandon the forum this growing season.

There are so many newbies here and they haven't seen your forest wonderland. I'm sure you have photos from previous years? It is your years of experience and knowledge of hostas that makes you VERY relevant here, not just some fab photos.

I know what will perk you up...go to your favorite nursery and pick up a few of the newer introductions. If some of those biggies don't come back as big next year, you will have room for MORE!

-Babka

• newhostaaddict
    9 years ago

Phil....what Babka said...

Go buy a few more and surround yourself on your patio with some Hosta filled pots....

Don't give up now....

jill

• luuk
    9 years ago

A sport? ...early to say, but I really really hope so!
    Thanks for the comments.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida