o
Going back into hybernation..

Posted by hosta_freak z6 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:39

Not my hostas,but me. See ya next year! Phil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going back into hybernation..

I know the feeling!! This morning I hunted slugs and it was 56 degrees!! It made me wonder at what temp do the slugs go back into hybernation?!!

o

• Posted by luuk 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 12:32

Here today we had 90 degrees, ...the colors melt down, look this green flow.

photo LY_zps9d4b35d0.jpg

o

LOL, Phil! Holy hosta, Arcy! Beautiful!
LUUK, what is THAT one called? What a great pic!

o

Why are you going into hibernation???

o

56 degrees sounds pretty comfortable in the early morning, at least to me. Was that a low temp, Arcy? Your garden looks amazing, by the way!

What's wrong, Phil? Why the hibernation?

(Stares open-mouthed at Luuk's hosta, wondering WHAT IT IS...)

Don B.

o

Josy/Don, I'm glad to have stimulated your curiosity, ...is a Liberty, some unusual new leaves are growing.
 photo LY_02_zpsb66c60e7.jpg

o

Whoa, there luuk...that must be the most incredible sport I've seen. Now that is one I would be desperate to see return!

o

Yes, the low was 56 with a 25 mile an hour breeze..so it was CHILLY IMHO. It did not hit 70 yesterday. Today we woke to 50 but the high will be 10 degrees up from yesterday. I love the 70's!!!

o

That's a very rare Liberty leaf, would be a winner in hosta sales.
We in NY have 65 and constant rain. Plants got really big and love the moisture. Tomorrow might be dry and everyone here will be mowing high lawns.

o

Don,and tropic lover,there is nothing left to say. The hosta garden looks like crap,and it will just have to hang on until next year. Yes I know I posted a few pics,but what's a few hostas,compared to 350 plus that look bad? The rest of the garden isn't worth a pic,until next year. Phil

o

Gotcha, Arcy. Yeah, a 25 MPH breeze is a bit stiff. That'll do it.

Thanks for telling us what your plant is, Luuk. Beautiful leaf.

Don B.

o

Hi Phil,

Sorry you're discouraged....understandably. I've seen the beautiful stand of hostas near your ginger jar.

Third day of rain here, coolish and the weeds are agrowin'. On a positive note, so are the hostas, as my hubby is reminding me

Nice sport. luuk. I'd buy that one.

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 9:11

o

Thanks, LUUK! I'd be guarding that one!
Josy ;-)

Here's to next year, Phil. Enjoy what you can - HOPE keeps us going. I've realized that there is safety in numbers...even though some suffer, there will be those that flourish - appreciate those till next year. :-)

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:46

Phil- Come on now, you have been growing these for years. We know how beautiful your garden retreat can be. It is very frustrating of see them get wrecked in spring knowing that it ain't gonna get better in summer. BUT please don't abandon the forum this growing season.

There are so many newbies here and they haven't seen your forest wonderland. I'm sure you have photos from previous years? It is your years of experience and knowledge of hostas that makes you VERY relevant here, not just some fab photos.

I know what will perk you up...go to your favorite nursery and pick up a few of the newer introductions. If some of those biggies don't come back as big next year, you will have room for MORE!

-Babka

o

Phil....what Babka said...

Go buy a few more and surround yourself on your patio with some Hosta filled pots....

Don't give up now....

jill

o

• Posted by luuk 9b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 15:00

A sport? ...early to say, but I really really hope so!
Thanks for the comments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here