Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pests that eat Hostas

Posted by star_2007 86322 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 11:39

Hello,
I recently bought 2 Hostas and planted them, they were doing great and then I noticed that the leaves were eaten in half! I searched the plant and found two culprits ...one a brown grub and the other sow bugs also the stem of the plant is barly there, it has been eaten to almost the whole stem!!! I did'nt know what to do? so I wrapped alumum foil around the stem... and sprayed the leaves with Hot pepper sauce mixed with water.
Does any one out there know of what to do??? I love my Hostas
I am in Camp Verde, Arizona where the elevation is 3,500.
So the weather is about 10 degrees cooler then Phonenix Az.
thanks
Star

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pests that eat Hostas

grub or slug?

ken

o

How about a rabbit or some other maurading rodent?
Linda C

o

You need Leroy Brown

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

o

Janet, you linked to my other addiction. Like Hostas, I would love to have one of every chicken. They are so decorative and hysterical to watch (seriously!).
The downside is that they love hosta, so I can't turn them loose to eat bugs anywhere near my hosta since they will eat the hostas in minutes!
Annette

o

I'm with Linda C--My pet bunny, Mr. Hopkins, LOVES to nibble on my hostas any chance he gets. He is a beautiful french lop (think Thumper) so I choose to just look the other way. These are so hardy, they always recover.

W.G.

o

sow bugs generally don't eat live plants. They eat decaying ones. They are not considered harmful in a garden but beneficial.

o

(joins BuyOrSell in the defense of the sow bugs)

I heard they eat tiny roots, too, but Wikipedia says no, they're just detritivores.

I've never heard of sow bugs / wood lice bothering hosta.

o

I'll look through my photos cds for a pic of a group of sow bug here eating live hostas so people will see for themselves that it does happen :-( I think mary_ann has seen them eating her hostas also.

o

Annette, I know chickens can tear up a garden, but isn't there one that doesn't, or at least, much less than the other breeds?

Ever since I started gardening I've wanted a chicken, but I live in the city.

I haven't been around live chickens often, but one day when I was driving in the country, I saw a rooster chasing 4 hens around and around the front yard of a farmhouse. The 4 hens looked as if they were running for their lives. It was hysterical. I don't know what kind they were but they were beautiful.

How many chickens do you have?

o

Jamie's right. I've watched helplessly as armies of sowbugs chow down my healthy leaves right down to the nubs even tho' there's lots of organic debris on the soil for them to feed on. Sowbugs are the #l pest here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here