Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
netcub_gw

Dorothy Benesnail Hosta.

netcub
10 years ago

I looked back in my files, and noticed that I got this plant back in 2005...

Comments (15)

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is Today... 8 years later... Its smaller than my hand...and I have small hands...

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Not going to crowd out its neighbours is it lol.
    Jan

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is after I photoshopped the bug Damage.

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Jan... No... Shes being very space conscious...

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Do you talk about hosta 'Dorothy Benedict'? The name you use is not in the Hosta Library. 'Dorothy Benedict' is well known and widely used in hybridizing. Bernd

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Bernd... Im talking about Dorothy Benedict... It was sort of a play on words... :)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

You seem to have it still in a pot. Then it is time to plant it into the amended ground which has morning sun and frequent watering. When you plant it remove the old soil first to give it a jolt to grow. A little balanced fertilizer would be good. Bernd

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice Bernd. Its been in the ground since the day I received it. I guess you are right though, about moving it into some morning sun... Does anyone else grow this hosta?

• Gesila
    10 years ago

The photoshopped picture cracked me up!

Dig it up, put it in a pot, and let it get some sun. All my streakers get a ton of sun. Since we only get small divisions of these guys, I give them the sun so they'll grow faster!

DB is on my list for next year. This year, I can only afford the seeds!

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

You've got a nice plant, and it is surprising it stays so small since 2005. But, at least it has not disappeared! I'd say it is pretty strong too.

I have seeds of Dorothy Benedict. Have you looked at the prices in Hosta Finder? Good grief, thatsa lotta money. She's worth salvaging and getting her to produce some seeds for you.

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I haven't seen the prices in the hosta finder... How much does she cost?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I had DB seedlings last year, only 2 survived last winter. But I have new big seedling this year again. I planted those in 3 hrs direct sun with watering by the vegetable garden sprinkler. They liked it last year.
    Bernd

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, if anyone needs a Hosta Photoshoped, Im their guy! :)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Well netcub, I know Jim's Hostas is selling OS divisions for 200 bucks. Cha-Ching!!

Don B.

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, Mine has added one leaf in 8 years! Not ready to start having babies yet!