Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herds of rabbits...

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 11:49

I swear they are everywhere. I keep seeing them in groups of three and four along the roads in the yards.. Its insane.

I am trying to grow a few flowers from seed, they have been mowing them down.. Even my Golden Tiara can't grow fast enough to be safe at times. They totally topped off a new Heuchera.. I fenced it and saved it.

So far they are only hiding under the bigger Hosta, and not cutting them off. But I fear the dry season ..then who knows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herds of rabbits...

Herds is a good word for the rabbits this year. Also fear dry weather! The winter was so harsh on plants, but the rabbits multiplied...not going there!

Nice rains we have been having so far.

o

Leafwatcher, if you cannot lick them, join them.

I discovered up in MA (zone 5B at the time) that they loved my nasturtiums. Can you plant a long row of that somewhere away from the hosta? I wish I had a picture to show you of the 100 foot x 4 foot wide row of rampant nasturtiums. Spicy leaves and flowers. I learned that aphids can come in other colors besides green from these plants, but also that they set prodigious amounts of seeds and rabbits love to eat them and hide in them.

A little sacrificial produce couldn't hurt, could it? Plus they are gorgeous. I was trying for the Claude Monet effect. It is too hot to grow them down here, or I would use them a lot.

I think rabbits come in "warrens" or some such, not "herds"...although they seem to be herbivores. Check out a fantasy novel titled WATERSHIP DOWN lovely story about rabbits or hares.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit community

o

Try sprinkling dried blood or blood meal around the seedlings.

tj

o

Mocc, plant your nasturtiums in the fall in pots. I haven't tried it yet, but it was suggested in the gardening section if the paper.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here