Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

'Tis time for mini treats!

Here is a mini display I completed the other day and decided it deserved its own thread. Since both Paula in Uxbridge and Mocc in Alabama have shown interest in the mini garden items available these days, why not pursue this further? I am in the process of developing another display. While I am playing with that, perhaps some of you might be interested in bringing your minis to the forefront. The pictures do not have to be current.

Do you have pictures of mini hostas that you would like to share growing in something other than the ground?

'Tis time for mini treats!

Jo

Comments (22)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top left hand corner sits Cracker Crumbs - one of three divisions from last fall. A bright gold hosta with that hand painted look of green margin.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Continuing clockwise is Dixie Chickadee lending a strappy leaf for contrast and new as of last month...has a lot going for a mini! :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears - the catalyst for the minis in my garden! What's not to love about this invincible mouse? I wanted more, so I also divided it last year. Must have been the leap year for it because among the four divisions, it grew from 11 eyes to 39 total this year!

Original Author
    9 years ago

The fourth member of this mini display is my latest acquisition, Mini Skirt. She adds some vivaciousness to her peer group with her wavy yellow edge.

Also scattered about are hens n chicks and various sedums, moss and ground covers for added interest and colour echo and contrast.

Thank you for looking!

• tonypumpkin
    9 years ago

Very nice! I have a couple of minis. I like what you've done with these.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Here's a few of mine

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

and another...

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

still another...

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

and one more... Not all minis, but small none the less.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Jo, that's a beautiful presentation of your minis. I like the little table and chair...nice touch. Looking forward to seeing your next creation.

Gary your minis in pots are lovely too.

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Great collections and presentations.
    Gary....I'm intrigued with the rectangular planter in your second picture. Is it clay or plastic. The shape is very unusual.
    Jan

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Jan, its plastic. I found it at The Anderson's, which is a local retail store that carries everything from plants to furniture, to groceries. Its 23"x18"x7" deep. If memory serves, it was under $20. It also comes in ivory (?).

• jimr66
    9 years ago

I put my mini/small hostas into two raised gardens. The gardens were built to help with steep grade off that side of the deck.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Raised beds or pots are the way to go with the minis IMO. I really like what you did with yours Jim.

• dfrench200 (7a)
    9 years ago

Here is one of my minis in a pot. This is a tough little bugger. I don't know the name of it but I like it... It has been in this same pot for 9 years, never transplanted or divided. The moss has been there a while and the little fern popped up this year. That is an immature hickory nut in the pot too. You can see the flower scapes...

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Now that I am seeing the medium and larges growing to touch each other I am more interested in the mini gardens. Jo you did a wonderful presentation of your in the display.

Jim66 love the hosta steps off the deck and that is beautiful idea too

Gary I love your rectangular container too. Something a bit different from the regular rounds I have

I have been collecting up some of my mini and had to take out my June as she had pushed and crowded everyone out and hidden under her.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I see by my picture I may have to take a few others out soon too and a view from the other side .

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Almosthooked, your mini display bed is simply outstanding! Love the stump and all the little accessories.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Love 'em all, very creative!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick note for now...There are so many mini hostas out there that I haven't even heard of yet. If possible and not too much trouble, can you please identify your minis while posting? Your little mini may just be the one that gets someone else enabled!

I will enjoy looking at all these pics tomorrow afternoon and reply then also. ;-).

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

DFrench, your mini could be Tiny Tears, one of the most popular of the minis. It is a real toughie alright. Having a hickory nut in the pot with it is so appropriate! I mean, that nut looks the size of a basketball compared to the little plant.

Oh. Another option for an ID is venusta, the species. But I think it is Tiny Tears.

Most of my little guys had a rough winter with the squirrels digging them out of their pots. This year I repotted them and until a week ago kept them under close surveillance near the back deck. Now they are back in the main garden with no digging in the pots YET. I refresh the crushed red pepper regularly, and spend a lot of hours in the garden. Hopefully they will continue to thrive.

I will be looking for the small table and 2 small chairs to match the real bistro set my DH and I sit in when we have our bubbly and cheese now and then. He is not so much smitten by the hosta as he is by the effect of the hosta on the back yard. It is a real magical spot now. I absolutely love the way Jo captured that magic look in her container.

Here are a couple of the mini bowls.

This last picture has Tiny Tears in it

• look4angel
    9 years ago

Hi, I just wanted to say these mini hosta gardens are adorable! Penny