Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenitycove_gw

Is this hxv?

serenitycove
9 years ago

This is an older variety that's been in my garden for 10-12 years and this is the first year it looks like this. It's not a favorite of mine and I have no problem getting rid of it but its in a part of my garden I want to redo and want to make sure I don't plant a hosta in that area if it is hxv. Isn't that kind of a long time for the virus to show up if it is indeed hxv?

Comments (9)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Leaf closeup would be nice without the reflection. I downloaded to my computer to enlarge and see it better. Badly infected it appears. I agree HVX usually show up before 10-12 years. HVX is sap to sap, but there are other virus that are carried in non-hosta as well. So could have happened more recently. Sorry.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: HOSTA VIRUS X

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'd agree with Paul. I had a Royal Standard that showed HVX just the next year after I bought it. I tested it and it was HVX.

bk

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

This whole HVX testing is not the clearest at all for me. In the past I had on a total of 4 hostas with full-blown HVX indication of HVX during tests.

I just tested 6 hostas because the Hosta Library pictures showed similar markings as I see on these 6 plants. None of the tests with Agdia HVX test strips indicated that mine have HVX. The first test strips I received 8 months ago, so they are OK to use, the last 3 I used I just received in the mail. All tests showed the Control line, that means tests are valid. There seem to be a lot of other virus around which create similar symptoms. 3 of the tested hosta leaves had ink bleed, see the link.

As I read in those links of the Hosta Library, HVX can be in a plant for years before there is a symptom showing. Some hostas never show it. HVX tests might only work at full-blown HVX as in the above photos. My plants have only symptoms covering 5% on a leave. It seems even if my quarter size sample is 100% with symptoms, the virus concentration might be below the trigger for the Agdia test to indicate HVX. So I will do nothing yet.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX symptoms explained

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

bernd, do you have a pic?

Paul

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Paul, No, I have to relearn how to charge the battery of my camera.
    I have a yellow Hosta 'Dancing Queen' which has white bleed on yellow. I have a beautiful blue-green corrugated seedling, and two 'Queen of the Seas' growing next to each other, all have white bleed on blue-green. All of my cases grow in one corner of my 1/2 acre property.
    I probably should call Agdia and get my question about a threshold explained.

I wonder how all these people here do plant their new purchases. They should really read about clean tools in respect to HVX.
    Bernd

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Bernd, does it look like this picture? This is a picture of dead tissue/cells from spring dessication or frost. When you said white, my first thought was this pic..... Just thought I'd ask.

Paul

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul...I've been at work all day. Will try to get a close up pic tomorrow. I just thought it strange to show up on such an old hosta.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I don't think it is HVX based on the look which I don't think shows the typical bleeding or sunken and discoloration associated with HVX. Also, the age places it almost out of the HVX era and is not one of the species that were infected in the early years which started the problem. Probably not tissue cultured either which is the predominate spreading method.

My guess is frost damage, but if you don't like it anyway then paint it with glyphosate (Roundup) and get rid of it without any chance of spreading any HVX.

I agree with Bernd about the usefulness of testing, but for a different reason. HVX testing only tells you that the hosta doesn't have HVX. It could then be one of several other viruses which can spread far more easily. The question is, what good does it do to only eliminate only one of the possible viruses.

If it looks like a virus then spray around the area to kill thrips and nematodes that can spread viruses other than HVX and spray it with glyphosate to kill the infected plant in case it is HVX. I don't know of any virus that can be 'cured'.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Paul, I will send pictures, but camera now has a memory card problem. Several of my hostas have a setback due to the winter I think, though I am only in zone 5. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:12