Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shade_tolerant

I Do Not Like This Hosta...

shade_tolerant
13 years ago

Beckoning---

Okay maybe the jury is still out but after four years in the garden not sure I want it in a prominent position anymore.

Anyone growing this one and like it or dislike it? Any photos?

Here is mine. Beckoning is a big hosta, not sure if you can tell the size here. It will be a big job to move, probably next year.

Comments (14)

• User
    13 years ago

I like it. Want to move it to my yard? ;-)

What about it disappoints you?

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I like it too! Got just the perfect spot for it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Welcome to Chaos

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Manyhosta it is the sort of sickly yellow coloring to the leaves. I have a lot of hostas so I always look for something different or unique. I like it's early spring coloring, not so much what it turns to but I guess it is different.

• nchostaqueen
    13 years ago

Well, Shade I'm in your court with this one. Not a fav either. It looked so much better in the catalogs and the Hosta Library.

I plan to move it to a place where it can be used as a filler because where it is now can be used for a better selection.

Deb

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deb, so nice I'm not the only one who doesn't care for this hosta. I'll keep mine too, maybe offset it with some solid color greens in an out of the way spot.
    Mosswitch your blog is cool.

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

Hi,

Yes, I don't care for this one either. I tried it, gave it a couple years to see if it would grow on me, and then decided I wasn't going to sell any more.

Your plant is one of the best looking I've seen, but I don't like how it starts and transitions its color, looking different all year long. Towards the end of the summer I don't think it looks too bad, but I don't care for it the rest of the year.

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Chris, I guess it doesn't look too bad in that photo.
    Funny the hosta I think will make a terrible pic tries to make me a liar :-)
    When a nurseryman says "I tried it, gave it a couple years to see if it would grow on me, and then decided I wasn't going to sell any more." ---Believe it.
    Eileen

• loisflan
    13 years ago

Beckoning is hard to position in your garden. I found I placed it for its gold color, but most of the year, it's green. Moving it to a remote location might be the answer.

• halds
    13 years ago

Seems ironic that it's name is Beckoning....

• User
    13 years ago

I admit the one and only I've seen in person wasn't attractive. On my computer, it appears to be Palmolive soap color that I would like if it was consistent.

• mary52zn8tx
    13 years ago

Mine is a replacement for one I lost a few years ago. Just the other day I decided I like it. Maybe it is the difference in climate? Right now the color reminds me of Guardian Angel, only it is more uniform on the leaf. Guardian Angel doesn't hold its color in the south any time at all. Beckoning may not be as pretty, but it will be different. If it gets anywhere near as big as Blue Angel, I think I will be impressed, I guess I will know in about 4 more years, LOL

• chris-e
    13 years ago

Different strokes for different folks...I do like the light green color in the middle of the plant. I also like the contrast of the light and dark green. Do those colors stay or does it turn yellow? I have enough yellow right now.

I have never seen this one in person.

chris

• gardengirl_nancy
    13 years ago

Maybe if you put a dark green on one side of it and a yellow on the other side of it. Would that help it? It didn't do anything for me either, sorry.

• marquest
    13 years ago

I agree Shade, It is different but it looks sick now. Was it pretty in the Spring?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert