Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Is this a seedling?

I was watering this morning and pulling up the odd weed when I almost pulled this up too!

Could this be a lonesome seedling?? I didn't want to disturb it but it looks like it is growing unattached to Krossa Regal.

If this is a late eye of KR would it not also have the same coloured sheath that first emerges? This one looks green.

I had no hosta growing there that was blue or green. What was previously growing in front of that sport, in the ground, were English Sunrise, Flemish Sky, Ann Kulpa and Bedazzled just as an FYI.

If this is a surprise seedling, then it is my very first and I am excited about that!

Any thought you might have? Thanks!

Jo

Comments (7)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another angle and not a very clear picture...windy today so I likely moved too!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Sure looks like one to me. I found one next to my Fragrant Queen and was wondering if she sported or if it was a seedling. Dug it up and sure enough it was a seedling. The seedling was almost as big as Fragrant Queen!

Congratulations Jo!

Gesila

Original Author
    9 years ago

What should I do? Do I let it grow a bit more? When is a good time to give it it's own space? This really is an EVENT for me, peeps!

Woohoo, I have a baby! seedling, that is! Lol

• User
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the new addition, Jo.

I'd try to take it out now, but I'm inexperienced with seedlings. It would keep extensive roots grown later this summer from intruding on your KR roots. At least, that is my thinking.

I'd water it really good, so the....
    First though, is this in a POT or in the ground?
    I always jump to pot conditions, you know.
    But watering it prior to any messing with the little thing is my thinking. Make it nice and loose, don't even disturb your KR that way. The sooner the better.

Ah, Jo, I can see you now, down on your knees and elbows beneath Krossa Regal talking to that baby hosta.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

You can take it out now Jo. Seedlings are pretty tough. I dig mine up with a small trowel all the time to relocate them. I've never had one die.

Gesila

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

This has happened to me this year...i've got little seedlings all over...
    I though hostas clump and stay put and then divided down the line. Not complaining as i found an area where i wanted some and transplanted last night...
    They have no sign of transplant shock what so ever...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations to you too, Sleevendog! Lucky you to have many!

Thanks, Mocc! I'm a silly proud mama! And...I've already talked to it, lol "look at YOU, oh so pretty, and the slugs didn't find you down here?" Etc.

Gesila and Mocc, I will dig it up tomorrow morning then. It is in the ground, Mocc as is KR. I think I'll pot up the seedling and keep it on the deck nearby. Early fall I will find a permanent home for the wee thing. I will try to think up a fitting name for it. Oh, say, How about "Regal Tot" ? Since Krossa Regal lent her canopy for protection? Suits it now, may be silly later, depending on its size! Lol

Going to see Maleficent at the movies with grand kids. (Can't play in the dirt now.) :-)