Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wifes Latest Hydrangea, between the Reptilian, and Sum/Substanc

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 12:08

There is NO WAY this plant can look like this naturally ! Its just too blue..However she had to have it. I have no idea what color purple or pink it will revert to..IF it survives the coming winter. This last winter REALLY set back a few of our Hydrangea big time.
 photo IMG_4198_zpsd8e27a29.jpg

photo IMG_4199_zps4b98f9c1.jpg

My other Tri-Color Beech down at that end of the Hosta bed. Not the best picture.

photo IMG_4197_zps32a7d9f8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wifes Latest Hydrangea, between the Reptilian, and Sum/Substa

Twist and shout endless summer hydrangea. They really ARE that blue if the soil is acidic enough.

If you want it to remain blue then just give it something to acidify the soil. I like holly tone as it feeds the plant too, but there's lots of products that will do the trick.

o

There is an old trick used by hydrangea lovers...push a handful of long rusty nails into the root mass from above ground. It will keep the blue colour. Strange but true. Worked for me years ago. :-)

o

I use Aluminum Sulfate. This guy in the background was pink two years before. (Photo from last year.)

Link: http://www.bonide.com/products/product.php?category_id=705

o

Leaf watcher your wife's hydrangea is looking good, tell her I really like the blue. W3CXS have never seen one so intense of blue!

o

Oh the Trip Color Beech has a nice color for as young as it is.

o

I actually prefer the pink, which is lucky, as I have alkaline soil. (And pink compliments the tricolor beech, should they happen to be near each other!)

o

I actually have this Hydrangea. It's called Twist and Shout and was developed by Michael Dirr. It blooms on both new and old wood and thus you can prune it or not according to your taste. It looks great in a Hosta garden. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Steve

o

Beautiful also Steve!

Hydrangea's are a plant for some reason, dont grow well in our gardens....so I am enjoying the photos!

o

Hydrangeas are one of those few plants (to me) that have leaves so nice it doesn't matter if they bloom or not !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here