Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Opportunity for MN hostaholics....

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

....Idiothe (Jim) used to do a couple weekend sales of hosta - growing out liners and also divisions from his garden....he's changing things around this year and is digging divisions out of his garden as he gets requests - in person or by email/phone. Just picked up 4 plants yesterday - Ophir, Royal Flush (pic below), Katsuragawa Beni and Ice Age Trail (he is generous and very reasonable). Jim, probably has 800 cultivars (not all will be big enough to divide.....but you get the idea). If you interested, send me an email thru my MyPage info and I'll get you the details (don't want to post his email or # here). Be sure to include your Email address in the message portion as some of your GW accounts are protected from return emails.

If you are outside of MN .....same drill, as Jim will ship.

Paul

Comments (14)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Paul - When you are in contact with idiothe tell him that some of us here on the forum feel a bit abandoned. Some time ago he started a great project here of choosing 'best' in a variety of categories....and then left us high and dry. I thought perhaps something terrible had happened to him - so I'm relieved to hear that he is selling hostas!
    Jan

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I second Paul's notion on Jim's plants.
    I've always done really well with his divisions.
    He has 3 nice size plants he's holding for me, if I can ever get up his direction.

And I second the notion on his reasonable price and generous divisions. His garden has been established for many years, and by his own admission, he's added very few in recent years, so you get divisions from strongly established plants.

Give him a shot!

• janann
    10 years ago

I just had to follow up and say that I sent Jim an order. It arrived yesterday. I potted them all up to wait for me to get enough time to get my new beds planned. they are beautiful! Such lovely big divisions. Thank you so much Paul for putting me in touch with him. I plan on going back through his list sometime when I have time to look them all up on the hosta library and place another order. But the best thing was that I was able to get a hosta that I had been wanting for the last couple of years and hadn't been able to find. So I am such a happy girl today! Now I just need to find time to get all these new beds planted. :)

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, don't exclude the rest of us folks outside MN. My three new plants are from Jim, as it just so happens. How about that.....small world. I had the winning bid on his benefit auction item, H. 'Derriere,' and he sent with it Ice Cream, as well as Heart And Soul. In fine shape, I might add. Pictures are posted on another thread about the new arrivals.

• janann
    10 years ago

Exactly Moc, as I had read the original post thinking maybe if it was close this Iowa girl could load her van full of hosta friends and drive up. But then I saw Paul's last line, that Jim would ship. So then I emailed Paul to get the list and was and am still so excited! LOL But like I said, I have so many sitting around in pots right (here and at a friend's) now waiting to be planted, that I thought I should make some sense of the chaos I have created before I get more. :) And I need time to sit and look up photos on the hosta library. Though Jim was a great enabler and gave me lots of suggestions on his favorites, ones that grew well, etc. And it was so fun opening the big box and ooohing and ahhing over each one as I potted them.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I already mail ordered one, then went to the MN hosta society sale- picked up two more, my sister (read enabler) wants to take a trip down to Venero and I'm going to the Midwest Convention (going to miss nationals in Wisconsin). Dare I email Paul for this list as well?

Hmm.
    Beverly

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly, I'll be away for a couple of days, so if you send a note be patient for a reply. BTW Jim is NW side of the Twin Cities, so if you have time - his gardens are a nice tour as well.

Paul

• janann
    10 years ago

Yes, Beverly, you need to look at the list. :) I am sure there are hostas on there you will want/need. And Jim is known for his generous divisions and great prices. You won't be disappointed I am sure. And it never hurts to look at a list.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly, I rec'd your msg but no email address for me to reply. Get that to me and I'll send on Sunday or Monday when I get back.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly, I rec'd your msg but no email address for me to reply. Get that to me and I'll send on Sunday or Monday when I get back.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back in town and sent info to everyone that asked.

Paul

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

I had the pleasure visiting Jim's garden on Sat. Words can't describe how fabulous it was. He spent two and half hours explaining the families of hostas and how each was related to another one. I learned a ton about the background of hostas. I also purchased some beautiful plants. He is very generous with his time and his prices. His garden is a MUST see. Thanks you again Jim.

• tutti_fruiti
    7 years ago

Is Jim still selling hostas? I'm in the Twin Cities several times a year and would love to purchase from him. I cannot figure out how to message paul_in_mn. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I just started following Paul today. Thanks, and this is a great Forum!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

then went to the MN hosta society sale- picked up two more

==>> this is a 3 year old post ... not sure either of them are around much.. if at all ...

i would track them thru the society ... if you fail here ...

ken