Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonypumpkin

Francis Williams

tonypumpkin
9 years ago

One of my favourite coloured hostas. I have wished many times that I would have put it in a better spot so it could get large like some of my other varieties. Perhaps it is time to transplant it. . .beer bottle for scale--sorry, it was the only thing I could find lying around the yard ;)

Comments (17)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

That's a nice FW. Really great color.

Mine is really chewed up this spring. Worse than ever.. Every other hosta looks much better than last year.

I often find beer bottles when looking for a scale object in the yard. I rarely have to look further than the end of my arm.

• User
    9 years ago

Wow that is gorgeous. I keep looking for a FW but the garden centers just seem to carry Francee all the time. I remember FW being in the stores a couple of years ago nonstop and I kept (foolishly) passing it by.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hey, that looks pretty good; What kind of beer is that?

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My local Lowe's has all-blue Frances Williams for sale. A whole bunch of 'em. They must be very special.

Don B.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I was walking down the streets of old New Castle, DE when I spotted a row of FW's along the side of a house. They were huge; must have been there for years. Sorry, I didn't have a camera with me. Nice FW, pumpkin.

Harry and Bob - you funny guys!

DD

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

If you have a Francis Williams that doesn't shrivel, burn, or brown in the summer heat, I wouldn't move it. That one is a beauty. I haven't been as lucky, but I find that Olive Bailey Langdon is a great lookalike.

Steve

PS I guess her name is Frances Williams, not Francis.

This post was edited by evermore on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 16:26

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

My two FW in a full shade bed have super-sized themselves along with Dream Weaver and Tokudama flavocircinalis for the second consecutive year. They're lush and beautiful but look WAY too huge for the bed in which I planted them.

Moved OBL to a part sun oval bed a couple of weeks ago so it's no longer a solitary specimen plant near the edge of the road. Dumb garden idea #? now rectified.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

All dong well. One with slight leaf burn.

{{gwi:1026317}}

{{gwi:1026318}}

{{gwi:1026319}}

{{gwi:1026322}}

Olive Bailey Langdon is supposed to be superior, but 6 of the same is good for me.

Jon

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have 6 Frances Williams plants,and they all thrive. Nice plant! BTW,it's Frances,not Francis,which is a mans name! Phil

• User
    9 years ago

Just after I said I couldn't find FW at any of the stores I am willing to buy from, yesterday at a nursery I saw one 2.5 gallon FW! I didn't get it because I promised myself I would only use the cash I had on hand to buy this week, and I wanted to check one more nursery outside town for a Liberty. If that's a bust, I'll go snag that nice sized FW.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have several h.'Frances Willams'. Any little burn on a leaf is not a problem for me because they have such a nice statuesque appearance with their large leaves. Here is the largest of mine.
    Bernd

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I also have two h. 'Olive Bailey Langdon', but they are slower growers, no pictures here. Here is another hosta which could substitute for FW : 'Northern Exposure'.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I also have a h. 'Spartan Glory', but which does not get as tall as FW.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Here is a hosta 'American Halo' which is quite expressives.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I also think that h. 'Paradise Expectations' is somewhat similar to FW. Bernd

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

TonyP, that is a beautiful Frances Williams. Instead of moving her, you could begin carving out a space in the arborvitae.

My Frances is now getting squashed between two itea shrubs. After reading your post, I have just decided to prune back the shrubs because Frances is almost at the backhoe size and there is no way I'm moving her.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

When I bought this house it had a little white picket fence with two, FW anchoring a line of albo-marginata and agopodium. All that remains are the FW, and one AM. I took divisions of FW years ago and have two more, already near giants. I love them, they are happy, healthy and showy.