Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

What's on your List?

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

Here's mine....I keep a chart with size, picture, price, and where it's available. Welcome your comments on any of these...successes, failures.

Annabel Lee
Atom Smasher
Broad Band
Double D Cup
Fragrant Queen
Frank Lloyd Wright
Good Golly Miss Molly
Jade Cascade
Joshua's Banner
Lake Superior
Nantucket
Nippers
Nutty Professor
Piecrust Promise
Prairie Sky
Raucus Ruffles
Sharp Dressed Man
Smoke Signals
Stag's Leap
Swirls
The King
Tropical Dancer
Tobacco Road
Allen C Haskell
Alley Oop
Blue Lightning
Gunther's Prize
Quiet Waters
Sea Prize
Sparkle
What's That

Please add your hosta list. We all need a little enabling.

Paul

Comments (39)

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

A great question. I'm not in your league, not being a hostaholic and having severely limited space.

Here's my list:

1. June

End of list.

• peteyfisk
    9 years ago

War Paint
    June Spirit
    LS Dragonfly
    Indigo
    Blue Jay
    Fleet Week

It was longer before my last order from The Boyz!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

annie, having only one on your list is severely limiting your hosta dream state. I have many on the list that have been there for many years.....due to price, or availability, or whatever reason. Many will never be acquired or something else will catch my eye and replace it....but gotta keep dreaming.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I love Prairie Sky, Paul. It's a good one. Loves to stay blue long into the season.

Don B.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

"Hosta dream state". Now that made me sit up and take notice. You have captured the essence of these amazing plants with that phrase.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Shadowfax
    Nougat
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Exotic Treasure
    Lakeside Foiled Plot
    Jade Cascade
    Wallys bullfrog
    Quesadilla
    Warwicks comet
    BattleStar

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I don't have any of the ones on your list Paul... but here's my never ending list:

Awakening Angel
    Blue Cherub
    Brave Attempt
    Clown's Collar
    Curly Fries
    Dragon Tails
    Dress Blues
    First Mate
    Garden Treasure
    Gemini Moon
    Golden Meadows
    Goodness Gracious
    Grand Marquee
    Grand Slam
    Great Expectations
    High Society
    Hyuga Urajiro
    Journey's End
    Kabitan
    Key West
    Lakeside Cha Cha
    Lakeside Coal Miner
    Lakeside Paisley Print
    Mr. Blue
    October Sky
    Popcorn
    Revolution
    Ruffled Up
    Smooth Sailing
    Spartacus
    Tenryu
    Thunderbolt
    Venetian Blue
    Whirlwind
    Woop Woop
    Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

• User
    9 years ago

Comments on the plants I have.
    Fragrant Queen. Slow growing. It is one I put in the ground, but have another in a pot. It might like more sun to do a good job, but if I'm looking for a big fine fragrant hosta, I'd choose something else. I think Diana Remembered is a better one to grow.

Swirls...It is a narrow bladed streaker, shiny green with yellowish streaks. Not a high profile streaker, but it holds its colors well. Swirls is on the left in this picture

Nippers is a cutie. It has no shine, its leaves are round as dollar size dark green (but matte) pancakes with a puffy cushion look. I like it. Cute. Also fast multiplier.

Annabel Lee is an Alttara Scheer hosta, and I like her work. I have many of her hosta and this was one which Gary at Naylor recommended I get. I have not regretted it. The leaf tip sort of has a spit curl similar to Ringtail, there are sooty frosted scapes, lavender flowers, some coloration on the petioles as well. Attractive shape.

Sharp Dressed Man is not a fast grower but it is steady. At one point I thought it was turning into a streaker. Mine seems to have taken a fancy to Diana Remembered and every time I look for it, that's where he is, right beside her. I was noticing how beautiful he looked today as I shuffled pots around. I suppose I must take a new photo because this one is from late April. He looks nice today with no leaf problems. And that is saying a LOT for the 100 degrees and 100% humidity we are having.

Atom Smasher is one I really like. It is fertile, and has some progeny I also like...and have. I'm sure you've looked that up already. So far it is holding a nice yellow color. Not as narrow of leaf as Curly Fries, something like Feather Boa but longer of leaf. I got mine in July 2012 from Mason Hollow Nursery. Mine will bleach out in a lot of sun.

My list?
    HA!
    Atomic Momma
    Black Mamba
    Cherokee
    Flemish Sky
    Gold Regal
    Grand Prize
    High Noon
    Marrakesh
    William Lachman
    Yea

I had Nefertiti on it, but got one from Plant Delights last week.
    I also wanted Wave Runner (a Squash Casserole sport) and got it last week too, along with Piedmont Gold and Roy Klehm. Things which do nicely here, I look for their sports or hybrids. Also looking for highly fertile things to set pods easily.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Lakeside Prophesy
    Great Expectations
    Blue Ivory
    Goodness Gracious
    Blue Mammoth
    Lakeside Banana Bay
    Seducer
    Neptune
    Frisian Pride
    Frisian Waving Steel
    Key West
    Spacious Skies
    Blueberry Waffles

The problem is space, even when I dig my next (and final) bed on the property I won't have room for more than 4 or 5 of these plants (I already have 90 cultivars including some soon to be giant varieties)

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I think I inspired you to add Raucous Ruffles to your list, Paul - and Hostanista to add Awakening Angel.

There is only one more coveted space in my garden. The hosta must be sun-tolerant, medium-sized, and colorful. So my choice is:

Orange Star

DD

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Here's mine as it is today. I never write mine down, because it changes too often! But these are some that have been on it for a while.

Frank Lloyd Wright
    Dawn's Early Light
    Manhattan
    Continental Divide
    Gitchigumi
    Great Plains
    Hoosier Dome
    Tobacco Rpad
    Lakeside Prophecy
    Lakeside Cindy Cee
    Blueberry Waffles

• User
    9 years ago

Paul, just want to point out one which will make a great companion to Nippers. It is Little Hobber. I also got it from Naylor Boyz. It cups up not down, and is not shiny. It arrived end of July 2013.
    In this 2014 picture, it is the darkest greenie with good texture and substance. Note that Eye Catcher is a gold which looks quite similar to it except for color. Eye Catcher is viridescent. Nippers, Little Hobber and Eye Catcher seem to grow about the same size and at the same speed..

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

My list is a little exotic....

Tassles
    Subcrocea
    Barbara Elizabeth Hoover
    Fascinator
    Heart of Chan
    Terry
    Yellow Highness
    Green Dragonet
    and finally...
    Mito-no-hana

I was able to cross Amime Tachi off this Spring.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

I added some of your list last year and this year, haven't had them long enough to give you an opinion of them. Gunther's Prize was worth every penny. It grows well and is such an eye-catching plant.

I filled almost everything on my want list this spring. The ones that are left are the ones I wanted least or that I didn't find.

Cool as a Cucumber
    Dark Star
    Lakeside Prophecy
    Hollywood Lights
    Minnesota Wild
    Fleet Week
    Spinach Patch

Since we're a retired Navy family, I'd like Sails Ho and Sailor's Warning, but at $100+, they're more a dream than on the list.

Got War Paint this spring, but it doesn't look right to me. If it doesn't have some variegation and rippling next spring I'm asking for a replacement.

• User
    9 years ago

MadPlanter, did you tell me in another thread you already had Smooth Sailing? It is one of my favorite hosta. It would be a good one if you happen to find it. I got mine at MasonHollow in Mason NH (mail order for me).

That's Key West on the left of Smooth Sailing.

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

This thread is making my list EVEN LONGER!!! THANKS GUYS!

Oh my....

The only one I have from your list is Fragrant Queen. She is a good grower for me! Have her in shade, I am sure she would do better in more sun. In the below pic, all of the cream edged leaves are from the first flush, the yellow edged are a recent flush from the past month. I can not wait to see her next year!

Margaret

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Dang Paul ! I am getting behind the times..
    I do not have a single plant on your dream list !

As for my dream, its a invisible roaming robot that punts rabbits...

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I like how organized you are with your chart. I only have two on your list (Fragrant Queen & Prairie Sky) ...and I haven't seen or heard of a lot of your other choices.

I keep a running list, mostly influenced by all the enablers here :-)

Fair Maiden
    Frisian Pride
    Cerveza
    Lakeside Kalaidescope
    Snake Eyes
    Valorie's Vanity
    Stand by Me
    Pewterware

Don B. that's a great looking Praire Sky you have there.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

A list! I have a long list, like most everyone else, but here are a few from said list:

Stingray
    Paradise Sunshine
    Tobacco Road
    Continental Divide
    Manhattan
    Frosted Dimples
    Fragrant Queen
    Blueberry Muffin
    Almost
    Vim and Vigor
    Sun Power
    Blue Umbrellas
    Kiwi Skyscraper

I could go on...and on...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sandyslopes. It's the bluest in my garden. I'm not a 'Guru of Blue' or anything else, but Prairie Sky and Silver Bay have both been AMAZING with their blue and silvery-blue colors! And good growers, too.

DD, Orange Star looks like a winner. Similar colors to Orange Marmalade, but this one will GROW!!!

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mocc! Smooth Sailing is new to me, but it's certainly going on the want list. Fits the sailor theme, looks good, and isn't big $$$$, either.

I'm going to have to check out everything on the various want lists and add to my own some rainy day.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moc, I have Diana Remembered, but growing so slow against the north side of the house....gets very little direct light. Thanks for info on Annabel Lee and Nippers - I've seen Nippers and Little Hobbler in tour gardens....Eye Catcher is a good name very nice form.

DD, yes you did with your Raucous Ruffles thread.

Gary - Tassels looks interesting...a streaked form of Striptease....I wonder how hard it is to keep that way.

MadPlanter1, my War Paint went almost directly to green the first year and then settled in for a longer transition in subsequent years....gets morning sun.

Thanks all for the input from my list. Still have a few that I lost in pots to add back to my list - LS Prophecy Fulfilled and Simply Sharon are two I was really looking forward to this year....:-(

Paul

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    9 years ago

June
    Blueberry Muffin
    Whirlwind
    Stand By Me

and many many more!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I did already look out for what I wanted to add, but then some hostas jumped into my car at a hosta sale and internet cart, so I have this bunch waiting in pots with water trays under to get planted. Now the question is where to plant them, some shrinking plants have to go with their soil, so it seems.

Alex Summers
    Beckoning
    Blueberry Waffels
    Bridal Falls
    ChooChoo Train
    Dino
    Elatior
    Final Summation
    Frosted Jade
    Gentle Giant
    Golden Sculpture
    Hollywood Lights
    Liberty (a 3rd)
    Paradise Joyce
    Paul's Glory
    Silver Bay
    8 final streaked Seedlings.

Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 17:10

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Paul, If you need replacements for LS Prophecy Fulfilled and Simply Sharon, I found them at In the Country. SS isn't listed in the catalog and is very small. I suspect they're waiting a year so she can put on some size. I'd been hunting for one a long time and figured it could grow in my garden just as well as in a pot.

I knew War Paint greened up fast, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for one year. The lack of a rippled edge is more worrying than the color.

Bernd,

I got a Golden Sculpture from a friend this spring. She gave me a generous start, and it looks good (well, it did until I burned some leaves), but I saw some truly awesome GS in the tour gardens at the national convention. Can't wait for it to mature! Put it in shade - apparently it can't take even a little direct sun.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Madplanter - my orig LS Prophecy Fulfilled was from ITCG.

Paul

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Madplanter, thanks for the hint to shade for 'Golden Sculpture'. Some plants simply can't take sun, but are gorgeous in shade. Right now we have 92, not so good to plant.
    Quite a few of the plants on my list will be very large. It will be a challenge to find spacy places for them, and then I have definitely to stop buying.
    Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Bernd, what is LIBRARY (a 3d)??? Never heard of it.

And Don, Paradise Sunshine is a reverse sport of GUACAMOLE and you don't have it yet? tsk tsk, bring that lonesome hosta home to papa. Mine is doing great and in its 3d growing season.

I feel like one of the sharks circling a school of feeding fish..dashing in for the frenzy to begin....so often I've seen that start up in a sea that is as still as a bowl of melted ice cream....an August day off Louisiana, a wind riff somewhere, then the fish rise to feed.....and the sharks come right on cue.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MadPlanter, I think your Golden Sculpture may be struggling in sun because it was divided this year....give it a few years - it is on the sun-tolerant list. Saw a number of nice GS growing in some sun on MN tours and at local arboretum.....did I say nice....

Paul

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Mocc, you are right! 'Lib' I read on my map, but that should read 'Liberty', though Bob Axmear has a Hosta Library. I only mixed up 3 letters, old age.

Paul, WOW, that's a huge 'Golden Sculpture', I would need to divide it then when it starts to get that big.
    Bernd

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I'm very new to gardening and have discovered I love Hostas. We just purchased our first home so getting to plan the landscape has been so much fun. The house had two hostas already that I moved and seperated. Our property is mostly different levels of shade and perfect for Hostas. I have 5 kids and am slowly building a bike/walking trail around the property and want Hostas, Ferns and other shade loving plants along the trail. Does anyone have any sites they recommend ordering from? My selection has been minimal at the garden center and Lowes. So far...

Fried green tomato
    Dream Queen
    Guacamole
    Twilight
    Blue Flame
    Pauls glory
    Little Dart
    Whirlwind
    Abiqua Drinking Gourd

Then 7 different kinds that were gifted or already on the property. Unsure of what they are.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi BungalowMonkeys....love your screen name. With 5 kids, it is good you keep a sense of humor. Glad to have you join us.

I would recommend you create a separate thread for your subject so that more folks will see it and respond. You will be most welcome too.

When you post your thread, please tell us your gardening zone and approximate location so suggestions will be appropriate.

Gardening is all about the fun. :)

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

Here's ONE wishlist. I could certainly work up another if anyone wants me to, lol.

I have a bit of a problem.

Aquamarine
    Bachelor Party
    Binkie
    Black Star
    Crystal Tiara
    Filigree
    Golden Boy
    Honey Hill Gravy Boat
    Ivory Tiara
    Je me souviens
    Lakeside Hazy Morn
    Lakeside Waltz King
    Nutty Professor
    Midnight Moon
    Misty Gold
    Oil On Canvas
    Rain Dancer
    Regal Promenade
    Rolled and Pleated
    Second Coming
    Seventh Heaven
    Shadowfax
    She's A Dancer
    Simply Sharon
    Tobacco Road
    Wally's Bullfrog
    Wild Walt

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Faerie Cups is COOL!

Don B.

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

Don, I've never seen any hosta like it that's available for sale, either!

Here's Big Kahuna.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Wow, that's well-named. I love it!

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Per Google search Walters is TCing it and sells 20 cnt plugs. Possibly no 2 to 3 year old plants are for sale yet. I would buy a plant. This will get 28 inches tall, 4 ft wide, nice big leaves, etc.
    Bernd

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Im such a nerd. Looking back at this post just realized it was a wish list and not a what you already have. Guess that is what skimming and not wearing glasses will do. These wish lists have certainly opened my eyes to some I love and hope to get.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022