Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Hosta for dry sandy soil?

whaas_5a
10 years ago

I'm thinking this is a bad move but can anyone suggest otherwise? Perhaps there are more robust colorful selections that wouldn't mind a couple weeks in hot weather after establishment and not cry for water?

Suggestions/advice appreciated!

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, how can they have just a couple of weeks in hot weather? You have a really short hot dry spell?

I like to add a supplemental water bottle to some of my hosta in containers. At first I bought a special "olla" from Arizona Pottery. Made of unglazed terra cotta, it slowly seeps water into the container directly to the roots. Here is a picture of a small one in a bowl of minis. I added the lid to keep debris and bugs out of it.

Another option might be that stuff which you can add to the planting hole in moderation, the water crystals. That can be tricky though, if you use too much it looks like bad Jello. Goo.

I've taken to making my own self watering bottles by unscrewing the lid of a 2 liter plastic bottle just a wee bit to let water drip out of it into the pots.

Similarly, years ago I took the tall square cans which welding rods came in, drilled some tiny holes around the bottom edges, just a few holes mind you. And planted them in my raised bed garden. I previously laid multiple layers of newspaper, had tons of it available, and then put the bags of garden soil on top of that to plant my flowers. So, think about lining your planting hole with newspapers.

But, I don't know if such efforts will be appropriate for ONLY a two week period, if things are fine the rest of the year. That seems like the watering bottle might work better.

I don't think you can "wean" hosta off their need for watering. But consider that I've only grown them for at best 3 years. The experience of others may vary.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

The basic 'green & white one'...undulata albomarginata...will work. Impossible to kill. Cheap, plentiful, fast growing. You can find it at yard sales for next to free.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Yeah, it's probably a bad move. Why not amend your soil with some compost?

Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Yes, amend the soil with some compost and topsoil. Ohio hosta growers actually amend their soil with course sand.

None of my hostas could take a couple of weeks of hot weather without water, no matter what kind of soil they're in.

My Empress Wu is growing like hot cakes in this soil, but it receives plenty of water. I didn't amend the planting whole or fertilize either. It's growing in full sun:

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

Gesila, you are setting a fine example for me, you know. I think your Empress Wu is able to deal with less than optimum conditions, and that means I have a chance of growing her. With lots of water, of course.

Did you choose not to amend the soil or fertilize because of tree root competition? How long has Wu been in that spot?
    Thanks Gesila.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

No root competition here Moc, this is where we removed the deck. I don't know why I don't amend the soil or fertilize. I just stick them in the ground, dig them up, move them around, and plant them again. It seems to work for me. I am, however, OCD about watering them.

Gesila

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback all. I amended ever so slightly.

I ended up picking up some of the basics in quart pots.

Dream Queen, Blue Angel, June, Loyalist, First Frost.