Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rainbow's End growth rate & mail order?

Posted by paula_b_gardener 5a (Uxbridge, ON) (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 12:36

Hi,

I am having trouble finding this hosta. There is one place that has a small 4" one (so she said over the phone) and I would like to know how quickly it will grow. The info sites say 'medium' but any comments?

Also, I am in Canada, what would be a good mail order company? I haven't done mail order before.

Thanks for any tips!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rainbow's End growth rate & mail order?

I bought a very small (think first year TC) Rainbow's End in 2007. It wasn't until 2011 before it became something to actually look at.

It wasn't a super fast grower for me.

Now, in its 6th year, it might be 20" across.

o

i dont think most of the US growers will bother with mailing to canada ...

and for one plant.. the phyto costs would be thru the roof ..

try the place at the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

As far as I understand the US won't send to Canada to private addresses. Agricultural rules I suppose, but I am not 100% certain.
Thanks for this link, I will check it out.

Melissa, I am surprised it took this long considering it is only supposed to be 11" tall. Perhaps I should keep looking and try to find a larger one.

o

Have you tried Goldenbrook. They advertise on the Hosta Library opening page and have an extensive selection of Hosta.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldenbrook Hostas

o

Paula,
Can you please email me through My Page?
I can give you a tip on where I saw some within the last couple of weeks at a great price in Bowmanville.
Also, have you tried Crooked Creek Garden Centre in Newtonville?
Vanessa

o

Hi I see you are in ontario have you tried OHS they have under suppliers tab a number of different hosta sellers in Ontario http://www.ontariohostasociety.com. Just a thought

o

I did try Goldenbrook and she said she has 2 left and has sold 38 this year! It is only about 4" tall though. She is holding it for me until Sunday.

I haven't heard of Crooked Creek Garden Centre, I will see if they have a website.

Thanks for the help everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here