Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

A Summer Song

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Trees swayin' in the summer breeze
Showin' off their silver leaves
As we walked by

Link below to A Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy ....sorry have to skip ad.

Color Festival (for Vanessa) - center brightened up to show off third color

Rainbow's End - this one was lost in my west garden where things go to get smaller and disappear - moved it to east garden in morning sun and already it's happier. Same bed as Irish Luck....wonder if there is a hosta Pot o' Gold - sounds like a theme garden.

Spring Fling - have a feeling it is gonna eat my path soon. A bright wide margin big leaf with ripples - what more do you want.

Rhino Hide - covered in morning dew, so color is a little off. Planted in 2010 and leaped this year

Pamela Lee - nice small hosta that will fit anywhere. Center and margin will both darken thru season but still contrast.

October Sky - planted late in 2011, small/medium vase shaped Don Dean plant - so should hold color late (October?). Still very immature.

Liberty - what margins and center pattern. This one get morning sun.

Harpoon - best it has looked, took quite a few years to get happy. Has some yingeri, so has spider-like flowers.

Great Expectations - planted in 2011, so far growing well.

Gold Standard - likes all the rain.

Fragrant Bouquet - surprised this one is this far along, does better in the heat of summer.

Allegan Fog(less) - fog doesn't seem to arrive till later in summer. As good as I've see this one grow, it struggled last year and looks much better this year.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: A Summer Song - Chad and Jeremy

Comments (19)

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Paul you never cease to impress, good show !!!

There is in fact a hosta named Pot of Gold . . . it is the all yellow sport from Rainbow's End.

I know Hallsons has it listed this year in their catalog, haven't checked any other retailers though.

Thanks for sharing :)

Ludi

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Thanks for the Color Festival picture. It's gorgeous!
    Vanessa

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ludi, Pot of Gold looks interesting with shiny leaves, thanks for checking.

Vanessa, I moved it this Spring as others were filling in around it - hasn't missed a beat to more sun so far.

Paul

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Love seeing your pictures, and your comments!

• User
    10 years ago

Appreciate the Harpoon picture. It has been on my radar for a while since you mentioned my Sam Spade looking similar. I lost my yingeri species hosta over the winter. Perhaps Harpoon......
    because I NEEEEEEEED the spider flowers!

Thanks for the treat of so many new pictures with comments. Color Festival looks impressive.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Paul-thank you for brightening my day...have awful cold, feel terrible, so thought I'd redirect my focus to hostas...there you were, with some beautiful pics but your segue into it got me humming...we must be in same decade age wise lol...I feel better, albeit temporarily...as I hummed and looked at your pictures.

You have some unusuals...Harpoon is new? I love the crisp look of it. Does the yellow margin fade at all? Hope not as it looks beautiful as is.

Your Grt. ex. Has the coloration for which it is famous...lucky you. Liberty is spectacular, loving the wiiiiiide margins..you have no chewers in your area? Pristine hosta!

You have become one of my faves because of a number of reasons..your hosta and commentary are helpful and informative but above all, your hosta are beautiful, simply beautiful, the setting in which they thrive is to be envied...sigh..and you have some unusual ones I've never heard of.

Anyway, thank you for the lift today, needed it. Jo

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, I enjoy taking pictures and always happy to share with my forum friends. I've added many hostas to my gardens and wish list from seeing pictures in your gardens. Really slowed my hosta additions these last 2 years - and have a lot that should be having their leap years soon, so it keeps me always looking forward to next year.

moccasinlanding, Color Festival got better from day 1 and looked great in a pot. Moved to the garden in 2011 and seemed to have fewer divisions in 2012, but leaves were more mature. This year seems back on track with divisions, so not too bad of a setback. Growing in a lot of light but still very fresh looking right now, though we have had few hot days so far.

moc and Jo - Harpoon was planted in 2008, and looking at pics it goes to cream edges in July or so. If I notice a yingeri connection, I give that hosta a second look for the flowers.

Jo - I have an older GE in shade and it doesn't color up as nice and is still 1 division . That Liberty has had wonderful margins the last 3 years - definitely a hosta worth waiting for the change.

Cutworms have been hitting the last week - hopefully they pass soon.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Paul, your 'Harpoon' (among others) looks great. Between yours and Steve_Mass's, you have inspired me to try again with it. Mine disappeared during the winter, which was a surprise since it was doing well last summer.

Your gardens look fantastic. I look forward to your continued postings.

Regards,
    Don B.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Paul, You have a really good eye. Once again, I love your combos.
    Thank you, WW

• idiothe
    10 years ago

thanks - great pics!

You are right about Spring Fling... just looking at mine the other day... didn't know when I stuck it in that spot that it would get really big...

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Hadn't seen Spring Fling or Pamela Lee before, love them both. The photos were all beautiful, but those two may go on the "want" list. Also enjoyed the way you've combined big and small hostas.

I got Bridal Falls this year. Before I add Spring Fling, does any one know if they are going to look alike?

• irawon
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for posting those pictures. I'm still waiting for my Liberty to produce wider margins. Yours looks magnificent.

I just planted a Rainbow's End but it doesn't appear too happy. Your comments are very helpful.

I'm really happy to see a picture of your October Sky. I have some open pollinated seedlings in the vacinity of Frosted Dimples and Salute that look very similar. Hope you post more pictures as they mature.

I'm intrigued by the deep blue hostas to the right of Fragrant Blue. They're not Blue Mouse Ears, are they?

Hope you're feeling better, Josephine. A summer cold is no fun.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MadPlanter1 - I also picked up Bridal Falls this spring - BF and SF both have montana heritage so I expect there are some similarities. What few pics of BF I've seen, leads me to think its margins may be whiter and end up wider.

Here's a leaf from Spring Fling in August 2011-

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 22:58

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

for those of you.. who dont know better... technology handicapped and all ...

you right click on pauls link to youtube link... and open it in a new window or tab ... and listen to it.. while you go back and peruse the pix ...

ken

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

irawon- those deep blues are Love Pat seedlings and just above them for comparison is a few leaves of Tokudama. Slow growing seedlings for sure, but getting some cupping. The pale greenish seedling just below them is a Tokudama Aureonebulosa seedling - same age (2010). I was hoping it would be yellow, may have to move to some sun and see how the color does.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for taking the time to reply. Your seedlings look great. The T. aureo seedling, although chartreuse, still looks good ... hope more sun makes it yellow for you.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Breathtaking!!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Love Pat seedlings? Then they will be fertile! Hot dog! I can let her seeds fall and self sow for a naturalizing appearance in my garden. Sure thing, now I know to add Love Pat to my in-ground driveway bed. I'm very cautious about what I put in the ground. In fact, I feel that I am sending my babies on a "mission to Mars" when I put them in the ground.

That is what I consider a dangerous mission into outer space...outside the container, outside the protection of the privacy fence. ....

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Paul, Thanks for the advice. I think I'll let Bridal Falls grow for a couple years and put Spring Fling on my "maybe" list. I've got too many big ones to add a look-alike.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the two once you've had them a while.