Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my Hostas?

Posted by kgd25 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:45

Hello! I am wondering what is eating my Hostas and how I can get whatever it is to stop! It is only in my back yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my Hostas?

Might be something moving around in that bark mulch. I never have luck growing immature hostas by surrounding them with mulch--they tend to get eaten like that as well (just my experience). My advice is to clear the mulch from the base of the plant and maybe put down a ring of insecticide around the plant.

o

Little holes are usually slugs. Big holes are usually some kind of caterpillar. (you could have both) Go out after dark with a flashlight and you might see what is eating it. The caterpillar will be gone about 2 weeks after they hatch. In that two weeks, they continue to eat more every night. If it's slugs, they will continue to eat until you kill them.

There are various treatments for each of them. For slugs - drown them in beer, shoot them with 10% ammonia, apply Sluggo, etc. Sluggo Plus is supposed to help with caterpillars. I use Dipel Dust for caterpillars. I usually sprinkle it on the ground, not the leaves, as it doesn't wash off well, especially on blues.

I agree with Tony. Pull the mulch back to the drip line.

Someone else might have some ideas as well, as I don't have much of a slug problem.

bk

o

I do have a slug problem so I save eggshells through the winter... actually, all year... and when my hostas begin to emerge in spring, I spread crushed eggshells heavily around the base of each plant. Slugs won't cross the eggshells because the sharp edges cut them. When the shells finally disintegrate, they add nutrients to the soil.

The slugs, deprived of their preferred diet, move on to munch holes in other perennials so I'm widening my application to include other plants in addition to hosta.

I crush the eggshells with a potato masher.

This post was edited by gardenweed_z6a on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 19:32

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here