Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Summer Solstice--Take your shade pictures

User
9 years ago

Today is the longest day of the year, summer having arrived at 6:51am EDT ....

What I usually do (besides having a Mimosa drink at sunset if the hour it arrives finds me still asleep) is take pictures of my house and garden shade patterns. That way I know what stays always shaded and what is always in the sun. After a while it becomes embedded in your mind and you'll simply check to see if what you plant is getting its proper light conditions.

So enjoy this longest day, and the first of many which will seem longer still because of the enduring heat, maybe dryness.

You might say this is "Hump Day" since the day immediately begins to shorten on its swing back to the shortest day, first day of winter.

Ah, Time. We never have enough of it.
Happy Summer everyone. May you have adequate rain and abundant harvests.

Comments (3)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Great idea and lovely post, Moccasin.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Lovely idea! Here, because I scheduled a yard sale, it is cooooold, cloudy and sprinkles. If I'd scheduled a day of planting, it would be super hot and sunny. But I need to update my shade map because a neighbour took down a giant tree, so this is a great reminder to get going on that chore!

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I started to map my shady areas this morning but couldn't maintain focus. I know the shade pattern has changed over the years since my first shade study in 2006 but since everything is going gangbusters, I'm guessing the plants don't really care/have adapted themselves to their growing conditions.

I did plant some winter sown Dianthus, dig out & pot up a handful of volunteer Virginia knotweed seedlings.