Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

A Couple of Duds. Your Opinions?

hostanista
10 years ago

I've been enjoying all the wonderful photos of all your beautiful hostas this season, keep it up! Wondering if anyone ever takes pics of their duds. I know you have 'em, c'mon!! I can't be the only one.

Here's a pic of ENGLISH SUNRISE. Everyone else around her is doing just fine, but boy, she is so slow and sooooo tiny! Any guesses as to what her problem is?

Comments (6)

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dud #2 - here is WAR PAINT. Bare root planted a few weeks ago along with a bunch of others who are all doing well. This one looks like a goner to me. You?

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Hi 'nista,

I don't think that your English Sunrise is a dud. It is a very slow grower (see link) and it looks like you got a very young plant.

The same think happened to me with Blue Shadows. I thought I lost it after the first year because it completely melted away. When it showed up the following year I realized that it was planted at the wrong depth (too deep) and once I raised it up the plant started to throw up lots of new foliage.

I'm not sure what is going on with War Paint...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hostalibrary.org/lemke/pdf/e/English%20Sunrise%20ID%202986%20RC.pdf

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

On somthing like this I would pot it up to work out its ISSUES, and I would put something that was a little bit more vibrant in the spot...

• User
    10 years ago

I don't have English Sunrise, but I do have one of its two sports, Teatime. It is not a fast grower in its second year, but it is decent looking and really pretty.

Here is my Teatime on May 6 this year. Expanded to cover its pot nicely.

Plus, here is the info I found in MYHOSTAS.BE about English Sunrise. Had no idea it was the same as June except for the coloring!

"This is the all gold form of'June' and is essentially identical except that it does not have the blue border. Because it retains the glaucous bloom on the leaf it is, I think, one of the nicest golds I have seen, especially in the spring. Like 'June', I would expect the color to be very dependent on the light level and season.
    Sport of 'June' found several years ago at our nursery (Q&Z) that becomes a medium-sized mound of gold foliage; striking when combined with 'June' and 'Halcyon' in group plantings."

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

why are you guessing.. dig them up and find out whats going on undergrounds...

what.. .you gunna just sit here whining.. and wondering???

and once out of the ground.. pot them up.. and give them some TLC.. and replant in fall if they thrive ...

perhaps a new post on how the pot peeps nurse things... especially the media in the pot ...

ken

ps: and while its out of the ground.. get mad.. and throw them around the yard a bit first.. show them who is boss in this garden ....

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

English Sunrise looks like it is/ was a liner size. How long have you had it?

Since ES is a sport of June...in 2011, I got two June liners. I potted them up when I rec'd them & babied them all thru the summer. They basically did nothing. Popped them out of their pots for the winter and overwintered them in a heap of decomposing wood chips. They came thru the winter just fine and emerged hardly any larger. Last summer, I moved them into their permanent location. They made it thru the last long, long, cold winter and emerged 2-3 times larger. They're still small, mind you but one of the two is now a two-eyed plant. So it's a case of Sleep, Creep and Leap a Little. I'm expecting them to really look like something by next summer.

Halcyon....the grand parent of these, I'll had for a long time. Halcyon has be steady but not a fast grower by any means.

Agree with Leafwatcher in that I'd pot that puppy...it looks like it needs to be carefully watched over and babied for a year or two.

(If it helps you, I just pretend that my little liner babies are the 'mini-hostas' that are becoming so popular!!)

Also, I'd lift War Paint and see what the roots look like...have you had a lot of rain because it looks like you have some kind of rot going on? If the roots still look good, then I'd pot that one up, too, in some really loose, airy media and keep it under roof or under bushes so it doesn't get too wet.