Looking for the name of these 2 Hostas.

Comments (21)

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other one

• Gesila
    10 years ago

First one looks like Golden Tiara to me.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

The first one is definitely Golden Tiara. If the center of the second one gets lighter as the growing year progresses, then it's Emerald Tiara

Steve

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't the the center gets lighter at all, that plant has been growing for 4 + years.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any other thoughts on that the second one might be?

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Can you take another picture of number 2 with something that shows the scale of the leaves?

Gesila

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't have a ruler so I used a pen, I hope that works.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also here is more of an overall picture.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

if anyone doesn't know what this is can you give me a link to some place I might be able to try to get it ID. Thank You

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Just a stab . #2 looks similar to Honeybells, but a lot of green hostas do. The mound shape looks right and the wavy margins. If is has about 4-4 1/2 foot scapes and light lavender flowers that are mildly fragrant it might still be Honeybells - or it might not!

There is one Les had bought that was mislabeled as Invincible, but it didn't have shiny leaves. Only here on the GW-HF was it given what is believed accurately Honeybells.

Theresa

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah, I have a feeling Theresa is right about Honeybells. It sure looks familiar to me. The pen on the leaf gives a better impression of the size of the plant.

Here's one of my Honeybells taken the other day. It is a division of an older hosta, and it is in its 2nd year here. The color is a bit "off" because I bought a new yella umbrella, and that does something to the colors.

See if that looks familiar to you.....if not, we try something else. When you have a green hosta, sometimes it is the color of the blossom, and the time of year it blooms that can help identify it. Have you noticed any fragrance with the flowers?

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks like some flowers might be starting up but nothing has bloomed yet. I will post again as soon as I get some flowers blooming. I never really thought about using the flowers to ID it. And I must say that yes it does look like it. Thank you everyone

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i will guess.. that there are near 2000 named green hosta.. and another billion un-named green seedling hosta ...

you may never get a name for it .. no matter how many times you ask ...

perhaps you will get lucky.. and i wish you luck

just dont get frustrated if we cant name it..

and frankly.. if we cant.. there is no other web site ..

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Here is a link to the Hosta Library where you can look at numerous hosta.

Where it exists, there is a link to information at MYHOSTAS.BE at the top left of each hosta's photo page. Some have a lot of info, others have almost none. If it is a registered hosta, the American Hosta Society will have a description of it.

One problem you'll begin to have when you visit the Hosta Lobrary, is you will begin jotting down hosta names, and then looking at online nurseries to see if you can get one of those. It is nigh on to impossible to gaze for hours on end at pretty hosta without coming under their spell. Use the HL at your own risk...... :) ......and have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library main page

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I have a green one that looks almost identical to that....but it is a seedling. Sometimes that's the trouble with green hostas...there is no id! Anymore if I find something like that with no id, I just give it a "backyard" name and put seedling or noid on the bottom of the name tag. Saves my fretting over it, and if I ever find out a NOID's actual name, I can always change it.

Sandy

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the flowers to the first hosta plant.

• solusumbra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the flowers to the second Hosta

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

#2 .. someone suggested honeybells...

is that flower fragrant????

it looks like the proper trumpet form for a fragrant one .... its plantaginea heritage... one might say ...

a hundred dollar hosta.. w/o a name tag.. is a 5 dollar hosta.. because so many look alike ...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Ken, I can appreciate what you say about "without a name tag" because I fret if I lose a tag. How could I ever know if some of my seedpods have fragrant seed in them...that means a lot of green plantaginea hosta, with a nice number of the variegated thrown in....to keep track of.

But even pro hybridizer circles, one parent is sometimes listed as UNKNOWN. :)

• brucebanyaihsta
    10 years ago

First is Golden Tiara, second is Hyacynthina

• Eleven
    10 years ago

It's not Hyacinthina. Here is one for comparison.