Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta alternative

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 12:55

Looking for an alternative to Hosta "Sum and Substance which is large and chartreuse.
I have deer and of course hosta is "deer crack". Also a full sun area. Once the border has matured, it'll get its sun from mid-morning to sunset being on the west side of the border.

I'm in the planning stages of redoing a border.

Thanks,

Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta alternative

It's not chartreuse but what about rhubarb? It can get huge & it is a beautiful, sorta' hosta-ish looking plant. With red petioles! ;-)

oh...and the deer don't eat it.

o

Amsonia?

o

There are alternatives to hostas? When did this start? The only alternatives that I know of are bigger plants that give shade to hostas. Alternatives. Never heard of such a thing. Phil

o

I'm with you, Phil. That's pure heresy. The nerve of some people...to suggest there is an alternative to hosta.

bkay

o

My first reaction just as Phils. There are no Hosta alternatives. If you are sincere you need to go to a different forum. Hosta alternative: a Russian Wolf Hound or Irish Wolf Hound! They would solve your deer problem once and for all.

On a grand scale, if you like hosta shaped chartreuse leaves have you considered planting a Catalpa Tree?

Les

o

Or a Scottish Deerhound. They're said to be fabulous animals.

bkay

o

How about colocasia, alocasia, or xanthosoma? They would have to be dug up for the winter, but you can find them in all different colors.

o

How about colocasia, alocasia, or xanthosoma? They would have to be dug up for the winter, but you can find them in all different colors.

o

There is a chartreuse colocasia, and there is a chartreuse windmill palm. The palm does not die down in the winter, but then I am zone 9a, where it is in the ground. It can thrive in a big pot as well. Not much will mess with this palm, it has some of the biggest SPIKES on the stems of the fronds once it gets to growing, that I ever saw.

Are you thinking of another hosta subbing for S&S or some other kind of plant entirely?

o

Hosta 'Sea Fire'"
SeaFire2012-06-09_13-05-57_870

Hosta 'Squash Casserole':

fwiw,

hh

o

Also, seriously consider Hosta 'Sun Power'. We've seen them grown in 'full sun' that are, literally, MONSTERS!

Best to bury a weeping soaker hose under/by/around it, though.

hh

o

yeah plant hosta... and then plant a bunch of sage or salvia to deter the deer lol....alternative plant lol
john

o

Walters has introduced a plant called Aralia cordata 'Sun King'. It is described as a hardy, tropical looking beauty with very large, bright gold leaves. It has tiny white flowers and black berries in fall. It is said to be 3' tall and deer resistant.
Call around and see if any of the local nurseries carry it. If you do get it, please report. I haven't even seen it, I was merely quoting from their catalogue.

o

Thanks for everyone's help.

o

Here is a second year Aralia 'Sun King' from In The Country Garden...

Don't know if it is good for full sun (listed as Part shade - Full shade).

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Aralia cordata 'Sun King'

o

In sun I use dwarf conifers and heathers, they like sun whereas hostas will only survive in sun with a lot of watering. Dwarf conifers can be global, prostrate or like a pillar in shape, can be gold, blue or green in color, and have winter interest.
Bernd

o

By coincidence just *today* I put in the ground a Sun King that I bought just today. There seems no consensus as to the height it will achieve.

o

I assume that 'Sun King' is a conifer? The labels on conifers show usually the size at 10 years of age, but conifers continue to grow at a similar rate after that. So when it says on the label 10 ft, then you should plan on it growing with 1 ft/year after 10 years of age. This is also applicable to width. The Conifer forum has a lot of posts about this topic.

o

Sun King is a deciduous plant.

o

It's actually herbaceous. Here's a picture of a larger one.
Aralia cordata 'Sun King'

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here