Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Zounds owners, do you think this is Zounds?

This is either a sport or a reversion of Laura & Darrell and I'm trying to find out which it is. If it's a reversion, it would be Zounds and it definitely has the look of Zounds, but without having a Zounds myself, I have nothing to compare it to, and photos online aren't giving me quite enough.

What do you think? Zounds or no?

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i am pretty sure.. that that is what L&D came from ...

so close enough for me ...

maybe in 10 years.. you will see some differences.. but i doubt it ...

i would label it Z

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that is definitely what Laura & Darrell came from, that is why I was asking about Zounds specifically.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have two Zounds,and this is a pic of one of mine from a little earlier this year. Yes,it does look like Zounds. Phil

{{gwi:1024245}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought Zounds was cupped?

• User
    9 years ago

I have Zounds from 2012 and it still doesn't have any cupping going on. So I read that happens when it is a mature hosta. Mine seems very slow growing. I also have Dick Ward which sported from it, and there is only slight cupping going on there.

Mine is definitely gold and developing more rugosity all the time. It's the one with the violet in the pot. :) This one stays gold all season long.

Dick Ward obtained in 2010 from PDN
    May 2014 it shows more cupping at the end of the season

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

This Zounds,which I moved from the garden,where the other one still is,came from a former forum member,when we traded back in 2005,and yes she knows what hosta is what. . It has never been 'cupped',as you put it. Phil

Original Author
    9 years ago

2005 and still no cupping? I would say that is mature! Huh, this is very interesting. So, either the one that I have is not Zounds or it's a very (can't imagine it would be more mature than Phil's, that just seems ridiculous) mature Zounds? Do you think there are different varieties of Zounds out there, some with cupping, some not, maybe coming out of tissue culture differently? Not adding up to me, here! Look at how cupped this is:

I wonder if this is off of a mature division of Laura & Darrell and next year, it won't show the cupping? Hmmmmm

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, here is another picture of my Zounds. It wasn't taken this year so I hesitated to upload it. Several of the leaves ARE cupping. There is no serious degree of cupping, and so I simply ignore the expectation that there is or is not any cupping.

I get that you want to make sure you know what your plant is, but even within the same nursery, don't you find that some will have better color or better substance or stronger flowering traits? That's why some folks only buy one they can see in person, because all are not created equal....and that raises no question of them being what they are sold to be.

I think you have a Zounds and a fine one.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you posted that, Mocc. I find these type of things very interesting. Especially the fact that there can be almost no difference between two sports and they will be registered and named differently and then sometimes when you're talking about the same hosta, there are more variations from plant to plant of the same named hosta than there were from two different named sports! I like to dig into these type of things, forgive me if I've bored anyone. I think it's Zounds as well, but I never mind a good discussion about these things. Sometimes intriguing topics come out of it. Thanks, all.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

I haven't grown Zounds in years but you guys had me going out to look at my mature Dick Ward and it definitely has cupping to it - so do the younger divisions of it - and I had never actually taken much note of that.

You are right that there is often quite a bit of variation in the plants that get to the market, usually through mutations in the tissue culture proces. To name just a few of the classic examples, I've seen distinct variations of Striptease, Paul's Glory, Captain Kirk, Whirlwind, Allegan Fog, Frozen Margarita, Orange Marmalade, Patriot, Emerald Tiara, Peppermint Ice, Gold Regal... Some propagators will be producing one variation, often as a result of a misfire in the TC process that got repeated over and over, while other propagators have a different variation in production.

I've also seen what appears to be different plants being sold as a named variety that were simply culls from all supposedly related sports, but they don't all appear to be the same. For example, have you ever seen a solid blue sport out of Guardian Angel? From the parentage it should be Blue Angel but in reality the solid blues out of Guardian Angel tend to grow lower, flatter clumps and have a wave to the leaves that isn't seen in Blue Angel. So either it is a sport of a sport of Blue Angel or the edge and center both sported to create the plant we know as Guardian Angel. That doesn't stop some propagators from selling the solid GA as Blue Angel. Another case is with Elegans, where I know one grower that sold all solid blue culls of every Elegans sport as Elegans, even though they all look a bit different. That tells me that many of those Elegans sports were probably sports of Elegans seedlings and not of a "one true Elegans".

So is your plant Zounds? Looks close enough so you could call it that and probably be just fine with it :)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Went to a private garden recently and took this photo. This hosta was labelled Zounds. It resembles photos found in the Hosta Library. There is plenty of cupping and corrugation. Thought you might like to see it. I think I need to get me one!

• irawon
    9 years ago

My Zounds is 7 years old. Your reversion looks like Zounds to me.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

In all fairness,my other Zounds,down in the garden,has some cupped leaves,but not all of them are,so it's a matter of where they are growing. This one I showed,is blooming this year,and none of them had ever bloomed before. It must be that moving this one to more sun,caused that! I expect that this Zounds will grow to be a lot larger than the one in the garden. Phil

• User
    9 years ago

I think Phil has it headed in the right direction. I will move mine back to more sun like it was earlier this year as well as most of last year.

It did not look like much in the fall, bless its little heart, but it came back fine this year. Even picked up a nice violet in its pot over the winter. I had to repot it plus remove the violet, so its roots were disturbed. It is slow growing for me, and in fact I thought it would be at best a medium. However, it is considered a ML. Since Dick Ward sported from it, I rate Zounds a strong hosta too. Dick Ward was still going in December....looked awful, but only went dormant when it got really cold.