Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So Sweet-6 years old

Posted by plantgnome 6b//7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 13:00

Heres So Sweet-turning 6-can't wait till she flowers.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So Sweet-6 years old

She's one of my favorites, too.

bkay

Photobucket

o

Very pretty! Mine are babies planted this year so nice to see mature plant.

o

very vigorous grower and never had a problem. I have two more-but they too are babies. planted one bu my new Sun Power.

o

I like, "never had a problem", especially when it's pretty.

bkay

o

LOL- those are my favorites too. My others are fairing well, but Komodo Dragon appears to draw slugs more than the other hostas I have. gggrrrr doused it with DE

o

I'm no expert, but I've never heard that DE works for slugs. I thought it had to be a hard shelled insect like fleas. I heard, years ago, that the way it works is that it's really sharp and cuts the shell of fleas, ticks. chiggers, etc. it's also supposed to get between the plates and kill them that way. I used to use it under my deck for fleas before the introduction of Frontline. I still have about 1/2 of a 5 gallon can.

Are you sure it works on slugs?

bkay

o

Hi-its considered a moderate preventative,
"Diatomaceous earth (tiny fossilized skeletons of ancient aquatic diatoms) is moderately effective as a slug barrier"
"Scratchy things such as crushed eggshells, sandpaper, cinders, wood ashes, and diatomaceous earth (this will need replacing if it gets wet), work well as a barrier. Again, this method will not kill the snails and slugs, but it will slow them down."
I tried the beer thing, really did nothing, takes too long to collect egg shells, buying crushed oyster shells supposedly works. all I had on hand was DE-figured it was better than nothing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here