Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

hostas and virus help

hostacats
9 years ago

hi guys, I've been reading the hosta forum the past couple of weeks to get some help and ideas. I think I have the virus X in a few of my hostas. One is called "so sweet" and I just dug it up and put it in a pail for now. It is juvenile from last year. It looks funny it is all puckered and distorted. The second one I have in a pail is called "sept sun" and it looks like the tissue is collapsing on pretty much all the leaves. This is still a young plant but bigger. Its leaves are as big as my hand.
sorry I am new on here first posting and didn't know if I should remove them spray them with roundup or just leave them. I know not to plant another hosta in its place. I have put a different perennial that doesn't concern me too much and in the other spot I will put a fern.
I have only been gardening with hostas maybe the last 5-7 years, so my hostas are still fairly young. The oldest bed is much bigger and healthier. This bed I found these in are both from the same local nursery that just happened to close down last fall.
I also don't know how to put pictures on my email or here but I have some on my phone that I do know how to send through texting if anybody wants to see......sorry

Comments (19)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Are you aware of the Hosta Library? I have provided you with the link that will take you to the section about HVX.

You are correct to not plant another hosta in the same area where you believe an infected hosta grew. BUT you must also remember to clean and disinfect your tools regularly. When digging in the area where your virused hosta grew, all your tools must be disinfected each time.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Virus X

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

pix would sure get you an answer ...

and if you are going to hang around this forum... may as well learn how ...

sterilize your shovel also ... just in case ..

ken

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi thanks for responding. I am aware of the hosta library that's what started getting me concerned. If you go on the hosta library my sept sun with collapsing tissue looks like the gold edger and or fanfare that's on there. and my so sweet is just so funny looking it reminds me of the Montana aureomarginata on there.
    Can I send somebody my cell phone number for now to text you the pictures, since I am just learning??? I still haven't disposed of the plants, they are still sitting in a pail. AND its getting hot outside.
    I have to figure out how to post pictures yes you are correct Ken.......just need a little help NOW.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

When you are posting a message, there is a line just above your name that has a box called choose file. Click that. Select a file (jpeg photo )from your computer/phone/tablet. The name of that file will show up next to the "choose file" box.

Then when you click on preview your message IF you can see the photo we will too. IF not, don't click the "submit message" button, and try again. There is a link to a test forum at the bottom of this page if you'd rather. You can only post one pic per message.

If you want to do more, then you will need to put your photos on the web at a photo hosting site, like Photobucket, Flickr, etc. Then you copy and paste the html links right in your message.

Keep trying, it is rather easy you will see.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

thx for your note ... see above what babs said...

please do not send them to my email.. thats a different kind of virus that worries me ...

ken

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Figuring this out.....

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks babs....I am doing it by opening a gmail account on my phone.... Here is another one.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Smaller one.......Thanks for the email newhostalady and ken....and the great advice babs

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one I don't think has but I took a picture anyways

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The smaller one I dug out but haven't thrown away yet, its in the pail......this is "So Sweet"

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Yes, you are right they are very infected with HVX. Glad you are learning about it and taking care of it now before you've had them so long that you might accidentally spread it around.

The only way to really get rid of them in your garden is to dig them out and throw them away in the trash. Get as much of the root system as possible, along with the dirt that was around it if you can and put in new dirt. Roundup doesn't kill hosta roots but only tends to top-kill hostas, and even if it did, per Agdia and other research the virus still remains infective in dead tissue. That is why it is important to get rid of the dirt if you are going to plant any other hostas nearby.

Chris

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the bigger one "Sept Sun......who's leaves have grown more since the last picture was taken and was on my phone. Took these last two just a few minutes ago.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Chris.....even though I knew this is what it was just from looking and searching for pictures on the internet, it still hurts to destroy them. What pisses me off is that they didn't come from a big box store but a damn nursery. Where the little one was I planted just some random perennial that was growing in my yard, don't know its name and where the big one was I planted a fern. I am now looking around my hosta beds and it seems like I see it every where!!

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To add a brighter picture of my good bed.......still growing....and pray no virus gets in with these.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry to see that...At least you have a good I.D. on the infected ones, and can work from there. Good luck.

P.S. In my area, I see a lot of plants that already appear virused. At big box stores, AND nurseries, too. Really sad to see. Whether they're actually virused or not, I'm no expert, but I won't buy 'em if they look 'wrong'. Of course, many plants look just fine at the time of purchase.

I like Hallson Gardens! : )

Don B.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I live in Canada and cannot buy from the US, so Hallson Gardens is not an option for me. I've read that many people like thjis Hallson Gardens. Wish I could have some of their plants.
    For the first time ever, I have ordered hostas online from Ontario. They haven't arrived yet, and now I'm scared I have too much in my gardens. I will have to put new ones away from my gardens.
    Its just so upsetting, I don't have lots of money to spend, and dispose of plants, but I know this is what has to be done. I just hope I didn't infect too many by NOT sterilizing my tools. I am guilty as all hell, cuz I really didn't know or understand.
    I'm glad I started investigating, reading, and looking up on the computer and joining this forum. I need all the help I can get.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

There are a bunch of Canadians here who know the good safe places to order hostas up north. Perhaps they will direct you. If not make a new subject post about ordering safe virus checked hostas in Canada. That might grab their attention. So sorry about what you have. Your photos are so demonstrative of HVX, they could be used in a FAQ! My sympathies to you. Just be glad you figured it out sooner rather than later. Pots might be in your future?

-Babka (a pothead)

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, pots are not option for me, I have the serious hosta fever in the last 5-7 years. Don't know exactly when it started. Few here few there, and bang I can't go a year without a number of hostas. I HAD over 300 even gardening under pines trees, but last year I was sick and many of those are tiny or didn't make it due to neglect of water. SO, I currently have 250ish plants. I don't know if I had the virus last year or not, if I did I didn't know. This year looking at them I was like saying to my husband somethings not right about these plants, so researching photos and hosta library confirmed it. I didn't want to accept it. I even sent a picture to Saskatoon school of Horticulture and they confirmed it, and today on here. Rough day for me!! Sad.........I think I have three more.

I have ordered more hostas from three hosta nurseries in Ontario......so pray to God, these are good. Hope so, I will keep them isolated if I can.
    Thanks for the advice babs

• trudy_gw
    9 years ago

Chris, thanks for mentioning the fact that Round Up does not kill the hosta when sprayed.

I did this by accident on a few plants, sprayed twice with a sprayer I thought was Liquid Fence. The hostas didnt look good, but didnt die.

Sorry about your HVX in the gardens Michelle.