Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

King of the Castle

mctavish6
11 years ago

Niagara Falls wins this one - at least in the courtyard garden.

Comments (18)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Yours is the best NF I've seen. I think even Olga would be envious.

Steve

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Geez,Myrle,your Niagara Falls must be twenty years old by now! My paltry plants are just big enough to identify! One thing about it,though mine have a long way to grow. All kidding aside,how old is NF? Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Wow! Niagara Falls reigns supreme! Simply magnificient.

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

We'd all be proud to have one like that. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• irawon
    11 years ago

I like the way your 'Niagara Falls' has retained the V-shape. It's very eye-catching.

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. It has done well over all though I set it back a couple years at the beginning. I have had it since 2004. Follow the link below to see the progress. It was really as if it was a new plant to me in 2007.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0815062916111.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Progress of Niagara Falls

• esox48
    11 years ago

Send me some Niagara Falls magic potion. I've planted three and killed three.

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago

WOW! He is magnificent! So is your courtyard Btw. I maybe in seriously trouble if mine ever gets that large. Truly beautiful!

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Its been awhile since we had some pics from Hobbitown ;)

Lord of the rings always comes to mind when I see your gardens..

• Wendys_garden
    11 years ago

Myrle,
    Your Niagara Falls is the reason I bought mine last year. It is just so beautiful. Love it, and love your courtyard garden.
    Is that Cool Hand Luke in front of Niagara Falls? That one is gorgeous too!

Wendy

• timhensley
    11 years ago

Now I've got to get Niagara.........

Thanks for enabling.....

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

What a show stopper. Having that big boy out there really draws out all the other hosta around the perimeter tying it all together. Very nice.

tj

• weekendweeder
    11 years ago

Just chiming in to say that this is phenomenal, Myrle. And thank you for linking to the old thread documenting the history of your Niagara Falls.

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

Glad I bought my NF this year... I doubt it will ever be as nice as yours. Its absolutely huge and perfect... and maybe your beautiful courtyard has a little to do with its magic.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    John

• User
    11 years ago

Oh Myrle, that is a traffic stopper. If it is visible from the street, you probably have folks running off the road all the time. I never fail to feel refreshed viewing your peaceful perfect gardens. From spring right through fall, when they say good night and sleep through the winter.

• User
    11 years ago

Myrle, I may have remarked elsewhere about the ruffled edges of Niagara Falls reminding me of Marilyn Monroe, like the plant named for her. Well, dear Norma Jean also starred in a movie called "Niagara Falls" so it is only fitting the hosta by the same name make a nod in Marilyn's direction.

It is indeed a STAR QUALITY hosta.

• prairie_love
    11 years ago

Wonderful specimen.

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Niagara Falls measurements in the Hostapedia are 33 x 60 leaves 14.5 x 10.5. My plant is 33 x 60 with leaves 16.5 x 11. I am relieved to know it shouldn't get much bigger or else where would I put it? It is one that has done well for me but either the weather here or my gardening style isn't for all plants. I have a 16 year old Blue Angel with only 2 eyes. My Montana Aureo. is 13 with only a couple eyes. All the Montanas seem very slow for me. Some eventually get big - Stardust comes to mind - but even they take longer than would be normal.

leafwatcher it delights me that you think of my garden as Hobbit like. I guess it kind of is.

Wendy, yes that's Cool Hand Luke. I post picture of this plant all the time and no one else ever seems to be as enthusiastic about it as I am. It is in a spot close to the table where you can see it up close. It would probably not be noticed too much if it was viewed from a distance.

moccasinlanding, no person in a car would ever see my garden. We live 1/4 mile at the end of a dead end road with us being the only people on the road. We do get tourists who can't read. I have signs posted starting at the 1/4 mile away corner "No Turn Around". Then comes "Llamas on Duty, Will Spit" (that was a joke on my neighbor who's llamas are always wandering around free) After that is "Back Up", "Private Property" and "Stay in the Car and Honk your Horn, Guard Dog on Duty" (which all who know Brody would just laugh at). The point of the signs is not that I'm unfriendly (well maybe I am). People get down here where the paved driveway starts and realize they really can't turn around. Some try. I've had them run into my stone planter and back over plants and into the fence.