Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie_meyer1609

If I grow in deep shade, should I expect smaller, slower?

DiggingInTheDirt
9 years ago

Before I came on this forum, I thought hostas were perfect for those deep shade areas, but so many of you share success stories of hostas grown in part sun. I've even read comments that suggest that the size of a hosta, or the fast growth of one, is related to it receiving sun.

So if I plant in deep shade, meaning it doesn't get any sun at all, should I assume they will not reach their full size potential, and plan accordingly?

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

shade is such a useless term ... it really doesnt mean anything.. if you understand what i mean ...

if your trees are limbed up.. 40 feet... it can be a brilliant growing situation ... as compared to you being in a grotto ... and a 6 foot canopy ... perhaps a pic ???

all you need to avoid.. it ALL HOSTA WITH A WHITE CENTER ... except maybe the undulata ...

they already are lacking chlorophyll due to the white ... and deep dark shade will be a death sentence ...

one trick... is to move big clumps into shade.... as compared to putting little tiny plants out there and hoping for the best ...

if you could find.. that hillside of gold standard post .. thousands of plants.. you would note.. how high the trees are trimmed.. and though all shade... it might be much different than dark shade ... i cant find it .. and cant recall the title ... but i recall how the trees were trimmed ... because i was envious ....

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

to answer your title directly... yes.. in a dark grotto... they will lack vigor.. and grow smaller.. and slower ...

ken

• DiggingInTheDirt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ken. I like your idea of transplanting larger clumps to that area. But at any rate, I will now have realistic expectations for that bed.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

ken:

you mean this one?

clik right herey to see 1000s of 'em

This post was edited by bragu on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 17:26

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Is this what you meant, Ken?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea of Gold Standard

• tonypumpkin
    9 years ago

In our climate I've had a lot of luck growing many hostas in almost full sun. They do tend to fry during July and August though, but I am fine with that. . .every year they come back bigger and more sun tolerant. I think it is a bit of a myth that the hosta is a shade plant. Sure they are one of the few plants that will grow quite well in shade, but they prefer some sun for sure (at least where I live). I've had a Sagae in deep shade that I've just moved because it went nowhere in 4 years, and so I finally moved it. That being said I just moved a massive 4 foot Guacamole that was in full sun because it was always burning. I am finding it is a bit of trial and error. I am always looking for sun tolerant hostas. I have a two year old Parhelion that is in full sun and I can't believe how fast it is growing--larger then many of my 4 year old plants!

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

It depends on what is causing the shade. If you're taking about maple trees or conifers, you're asking for disaster down the road.

The hostas may do ok for 3-4-5 years, but not only will they never reach their potential, never color up as much as in sun, but they also will dwindle away to a slow demise.

I planted a lovely garden in 2007, under the canopy of several maples and conifers. This year, as with the previous 2 years, I'm noticing major digression. The plants are getting smaller, losing vigor and some have even completely disappeared, after a puny existence last year.

If I end up having the time this year, I plan to dig a few up to remove the invading maple roots and hopefully plant them in spinout bags, so this can be avoided in the future.

BUT, lets say you're not dealing with trees with mean root systems. Your hosta will be smaller, not as brightly colored, more susceptible to slugs and nematodes and generally less impressive.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, my tree guy was just here and limbed up the trees. I didn't think it would make much difference, but already I can see there is more dappled shade and less dense shade. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the hostas from "shrinking".

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I have hostas growing in 6 hours of morning sun, and they are doing fine - great, actually. Of course, I make sure they are sun tolerant.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

I have what might be considered a "grotto" - it's pretty much zero direct sunlight due to a large forsythia nearby, trees from the neighbor's yard, and a line of ostrich ferns on the other side. I have 3 hosta in that grotto that come back, but only a slightly big bigger than the year before. It is very slow growth, but not a death sentence.
    And I agree that some (many) varieties can handle more sun than you would think. There are dozens of hosta in one part of my yard that used to be under the canopy of a tree. That tree died and we had to have it removed, leaving all those previously sheltered hosta out in direct sun. And they are no worse for the wear from the direct sun. What tends to make them start looking craggy towards the end of the summer is the japanese beetles actually.
    So I guess the best you can do is experiment with sun and shade. If one is frying, move it to shade and try another in that spot. If one is failing to grow in deep shade, move it to more sun and move an established (green) clump to the shade.