Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

XXXX rated hosta

My gosh I can't believe this hosta picture that Mctavish sent from her yearly trip to her sister's in Washington state. If my High noon ever gets this big I will be in so much trouble for space. It must be sheer paradise to tour in Sebrights and the girls have been back twice and I would guess again before the visit is up. Her sister is almost 6 ft with shoes on and this is huge . Over 7 feet wide and towers over everything

Anyway this is an example of XXXXX rating and that is Climax

This post was edited by almosthooked on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:19

Comments (16)

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Climax is a sport of High Noon and I thought it to be big this year(3 yr) but maybe I am totally wrong. (fly on leaf to compare size)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

That plant must be on steroids!! Wow! Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

SPEECHLESS! except to say Extraordinary! WOW!

• User
    9 years ago

Just picked up a 2.5 gallon container if climax today! Crossing my fingers it looks like that someday.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another man eater but not sure what it is but would sure make great hypertufa stepping stones or a LARGE bird bath

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

Is that last pic Gunnera?
    We're going to need more hypertufa!

9 years ago

Yes, it is a gunnera - I used to have one and it was THE monster in my garden! No Wu can touch this! Lol

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Wha the??? I expect to see a freaking DINOSAUR step out from behind one of these plants!

Reading that these are pics from McT's sister's garden, though, I can't say I'm all that shocked. These are typical examples of the absolute MONSTERS she grows.

She has a H. 'Tiny Tears' the size of a mature H. 'Fried Bananas'!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Almost there.......Just another decade or two...

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These were pictures of plants from Seabrights but Judy's plants are a giant size too. The High noon is my 3rd year plant. The two of them are trying to just purchase smalls and minis this trip because they're both out of room for too many more . If my husband was not haying , I would have him til up a hunk of her ground. It could be viewed from the south side of her pool and deck. Enough room for another 200 hosta , especially how she can pack them in , Sorry Myrle, maybe next time

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

don, it will get bigger if you feed it $100 bills â¦

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Oh, OK, thanks, Faye. My mistake. Looks about the size she would grow a 'Climax' though. ; )

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm sitting here with my JAW dropped....BOTH of them.
    What is in that soil? Good HOLY MOLE!

And the gunnera leaves were what Little And Lewis (near Seattle) made objects from....hypertufa or cement, they did great work. Still have a website up. They used to visit the GWeb Hypertufa forum. I have their book which has had its share of drooling on many pages.

Wanna see some fantastically painted gunnera leaves? their website....and some ancient ruins too....hypertufa ones. The first picture you'll see will make you want to look at them all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little & Lewis made objects and gardens

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Wow wow wow, that Gunnera is wicked, too big for my gardens but an impressive plant for sure.

Here is another giant, Japanese Giant Butterbur (at Goldenbrook).

I made the mistake of taking a chunk home with me two years ago. I had to rip it out this year.

It was so invasive it was popping out all over the place (like the front lawn, in different gardens etc. Much too big for my subdivision (60' X 130') lot..

• User
    9 years ago

Jim, a plant that size would cover your whole house in no time. I'd hate to go to sleep at night thinking about it coming through the windows looking for f00d!!!!

And Faye, I am smiling every time I think about the fly on the leaf for scale. Honey, it is not easy to see a FLY but sure nuff, it's there, and that is one big hosta already. How did I miss High Noon, such a fine golden plant. I suppose I'm going to put my Climax in the ground to make it happy too. At least I have a starter version. Photo taken June 14 2014. It's been here since 2012, most likely same age as yours Faye. In more shade here, turned darker of leaf.

{{!gwi}}

9 years ago

Nice to meet you, Jim! :-)
    I am still pulling rogue butterburs after 6 years of getting rid of them...roots go way deep. They are wonderful in your shot but will eat up your hosta! Keep ripping, Jim! :-)

Jo