Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irawon

Well, I almost did it.

irawon
10 years ago

My aim last winter, after viewing the alphabit posts was to reduce my hosta choices to only thirty hostas. Here's the final tally:

1. Alligator Shoes
2. Arc de Triomphe
3. Artic Blast
4. Blueberry Cobbler
5. Blue River
6. Clovelly
7. Cool Waters
8. Corn Muffins
9. Deep Blue Sea
10.Delona's Smile
11.Designer Genes
12.Dress Blues
13.Golden Needles
14.Grand Canyon - replaces the one that died over winter

1. Irish Luck
  2. June Spirit
  3. Lakeside Cindy Cee
  4. Mayflower Moon
  5. Neptune
  6. Oshima Silk
  7. Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
  8. Popcorn
  9. Prairie Moon
  10. Rainbow's End
  11. Rascal
  12. Rocket's Red Glare
  13. Secret Ambition
  14. Spartacus
  15. Stepping Out
  16. Summer Squall
    31.Thunderbolt -replacing one that's not doing well
  17. Yankee Blue
  18. Wishing Well - don't know how this one got into my cart but I'm starting to like it.

The alphabet threads were very helpful. Thanks again Paula/ilovetogrow for organizing them.

I bought half of them at Budd Gardens and the other half at Whitehouse Perennials. I like the fact that Budd's has started to give a 10% discount if you buy five hostas.

Comments (11)

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

I wish you luck sticking to that list. Wait till the next hosta alphabet comes out. It's like when I go to my Hosta supplier with my list and come home with others that weren't on my list.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

those are great choices- happy planting! Irish Luck is another one I wish I could squeeze in here.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

irawon - I hope to get to both of those nurseries next month. Rideau Woodland Ramble is another favourite stop.
    Happy shopping!
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

Ahhhh, you have one (or several) on my current wish list. Starting with Alligator Shoes. MUST I wait until next year? I cannot begin to sort the receipts from nurseries, not even figuring the containers, the potting mix, the chemicals/foods, the water bill.

What the heck....it keeps us from running the streets. Lists are always a good starting point. Where we go from there is serendipitous.

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Jan, I haven't been to Rideau Woodland Ramble yet this year. I will probably see something there that will tempt me. Leaflover you're right on the mark.

Moccasin, I know what you mean about those receipts BUT then I don't have any other expensive hobbies. My hubby asks me how much I spent and I always underestimate. Funny thing is he sometimes points out spots where another hosta could fit in.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Soooo, your goal was thirty-ish hosta, not 30? ;-)

tj

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My goal was to narrow down my 275 like list so that I would end up with 300 different cultivars in my hosta gardens. I was 30 short but then I had some winter kill. Anyway I'm 4 short of 300 at the moment. Probably doesn't sound too logical but then, what can one expect from a hostaholic???

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Woohoo. . .that's way to do it. . oh, what a list it is, too. . THIRTY HOSTA. .NICE.. . soooo have you made your next thirty er a, I mean your next three list yet?

Moc, I'm posting this one for you. . .Next year is sooo far off, ya know? Oh heck, what's another receipt or two. . .lol

• Gesila
    10 years ago

What a nice list. There are a few in there that I don't have. I'm checking out the HL!

Here's a preview of Arc de Triomphe. I bought it as a liner two years ago, it was only about 6 inches high!

Gesila

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sidney and Gesila, thanks for confirming that Alligator Shoes and Arc de Triomphe were good choices. Hope mine will become as blue as the blue seems variable in pictures of them I've seen.

Moc, one more hosta can't hurt, can it? And they're so easy to put in a pot. I have to cut away tree roots before I can plant but the job is finally done. All 33 are in the ground and some I've put in spin out bags. I'll post some pictures when it stops raining.

Sidney, there were some hostas that I passed up because they had been picked over already and the remaining plants weren't very healthy looking: Chesapeake Bay and Komodo Dragon. Now I have no big spots left, so I'm limited to adding only small hostas. I'm getting up there in years, so I have to make hay while the sun shines.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

irawon good choices. You did your homework during the alphabet and was very active. Wait till you see Neptune. It is awesome.

Another reminder to get the cameras out. The Hosta Alphabet is a useful tool as well as being fun. Starts 12.26