Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

H. 'Robert Frost'

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi all,

Anyone growing 'Robert Frost'? Looks like a great plant; is it? I'm seriously considering ordering one, that's why I'm asking.

If anyone has opinins/reviews of this variety, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks Very Much,
Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 14:16

Comments (13)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I think it is a very attractive plant when it reaches adulthood. Unfortunately, I think it is slowish getting there. I like watching the color changes... the margins on mine are still quite yellow, though they will become cream (almost white) with good streaking/color overlays.

Mine is over 10 years old and holds its own amongst a few hundred other display plants. A friend grew a piece of it into a great mound, about 8 years old - and it simply disappeared over winter. I attribute it to varmints or disease, not a flaw in the plant. In any case, he now has a large chunk of mine.

Definitely a good hosta - give it a healthy space. And mine is in very deep shade, so maybe a little brighter spot would speed up the growth. It's one of the famous ones from Lachman. The pod parent is of fortunei heritage, so growth should be good from that end, as well as pretty good sun tolerance. The pollen parent, however, is Frances Williams and those slow-growing sieboldii genes seem to be pretty strong. RF does have a bluish cast, especially in spring, that reminds one of its papa's bluish cast.

I haven't been on Gardenweb very much for a couple years - I've forgotten how to post photos. I know I used to put the address inside of some kind of code and it showed up... maybe somebody can send me to the spot that explains this and I can start posting some photos...

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Jim,

If you only have one photo to post, you can upload directly from your computer. Use the box up above the message box called "Image file to upload (optional)". Hit the browse button next to it find your photo on your computer and place it in that box.

If you want to insert several photos into your message, you need a service like Photobucket or Flickr. Upload pics to the service. Copy the HTML code and paste it directly into the message box. GW will automatically resize it.

Steve

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Thank you Steve... I do use photobucket... so it is the HTML code that just works directly... thanks!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Don, for what itâÂÂs worth, Robert Frost has been on my Wishlist since early this year.

I did the research, IâÂÂll spare you the details . . . BUY IT . . . that is all :)

Ludi

• hostasrgreat
    10 years ago

Are you a short term or along term investor in hostas? Robert Frost is extremely slow growing. You better be in to it for the long run if you are intested in Robert Frost.

I would probably go a different direction if I did it again.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good. Growth rate is of no concern. Thanks guys!

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

yeah, right ... 'I think I'll buy one.'

No one can buy just ... one.

Lays potato chip anyone?

go for it

dkB

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I got this one in April 2012 and loved the colors. It has grown very fast I thought and will post another picture of it only a year later and seems to have grown quite quickly , unless it is not who he says he is

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

This is a picure of the same Robert Frost 2013 with three eyes. Hope this helps you decide to get him
    Faye

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bragu, I only implied I'd be buying one 'Robert Frost', and I will buy only one. Of course, that will be in an order with several other hosta! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I never said only ONE HOSTA! Thanks for the pics, Faye. I have decided to buy one 'Robert Frost'....Now, I need to decide what will come with it.....: )

Again, Thanks Everyone!
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

DonB, you know you have a long list of possible travel companions for Robert Frost. Look for Living Water....it is a new fragrant.....and so is Jade Stone....outstanding, both of them. Trust me.....go for it. :)

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

I held off a whole year of getting Robert Frost because I thought it looked like too many of my other variegated hosta, but I literally kept picking it up at the nursery without seeing the tag first thinking, "My what a pretty hosta! Wonder what it is?" Figured, if I kept gravitating to it, may as well pick it up. I think it is one of those hosta (like Wide Brim) that always looks good.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

This is a pic from a couple years ago. It doesn't look so good this year,due to the strange weather. Phil

{{gwi:919355}}

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company