Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

my Hostas (pt 2)

Hello again,

The following pics are some more of my more 'mature' hostas...I don't think I have duplicated any from my previous post, but if I did - just enjoy it again!
{{gwi:1029111}}
{{gwi:1029112}}
{{gwi:1029113}}
I really need to do something behind Earth Angel but it is completely dry due to the eavestrough overhang; any suggestions are welcome
{{gwi:1029114}}
{{gwi:1029115}}
{{gwi:1029117}}
{{gwi:1029118}}
{{gwi:1029119}}
{{gwi:1029120}}
{{gwi:1029121}}
{{gwi:1029122}}
{{gwi:1029123}}
{{gwi:1029124}}
{{gwi:1029125}}

Comments (16)

• dg
    10 years ago

First Frost is soooo pretty and I'm lovin' Paradigm.

A suggestion for the dry area behind Earth Angel might be a fern. There are several that will do OK in dry areas. Below is a quote from hardyferns.org:

"Drought-tolerant ferns

Although drought tolerant ferns may seem like an oxymoron, there really are a number of ferns, that once established do very well in drier sites.

Athyrium filix-femina - Lady Fern
    Blechnum penna-marina -
    Alpine Water Fern
    Dryopteris crassirhizoma - Thick Stemmed Wood Fern
    Dryopteris filix-mas - Male Fern
    Polypodium glycyrrhiza - Licorice Fern
    Polystichum braunii - Braun's Holly Fern
    Polystichum munitum - Sword Fern
    Polystichum neolobatum - Long-eared Holly Fern "

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, it doesn't get 'any' water there at all, Earth Angel is in a pot with a sprinkler feed. I still have to check the entire watering system this year, I haven't needed it yet with our 'lovely' spring! Good for hostas, though.

I love First Frost, too. I purchased Autumn Frost last year so it isn't very big yet but the colours are evident already.
    {{gwi:1024160}}

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Paula - lots of beauties here, but I must say that your 'Praying Hands' almost makes me like it! My sorry ground-bound specimen should perhaps search for a pretty pot!
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

Really have a lot of beauties on your hands.
    I cannot read the name of the one above Halcyon, and am not familiar with it.

I'd take a look at some tuned wind chimes, hang a small one behind Blue Angel. Or, I'd put a wrought iron trellis that can perhaps hold a couple of minis in pots. If you are watering that area anyway, would be no stretch to water the tiny ones.

GraceNotes.com has the audio for each wind chime they create. My large chime is about 20 years old, and this winter I sent it off to be refurbished at their place. It came back good as new, and totally in tune.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grace Note chimes

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for you compliments!

The one above Halcyon is Francee. I like the trellis idea behind Earth Angel, I don't water that area by hand but I might make the effort for something that looks unique. Great idea, thx

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what they think these two hostas are?
    {{gwi:1029127}}
    {{gwi:1029128}}

• User
    10 years ago

OH, yeah! Guacamole is the bottom one. Dead ringer for a picture in the Hosta Library. Pretty one in your garden too.

I think I've seen that first one before and should know it, but I'm not a blues person so much. If it isn't one I have, I'm clueless.
    :)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I realized after I posted this that I should have started a separate thread - which I did. Stained Glass has been another suggestion.
    What do you think?

• User
    10 years ago

Paula, you started another thread for the second hosta? or ......

Well, we went through the genealogy of Stained Glass with Mr.Gary's sport, so.......yeah, they're related.

Does it EVER have any gold to it? Even just a couple of weeks?
    It is the nature of Stained Glass to keep the yellow middle, but I guess could be seen as chartreuse. Even when mine was in the shade, it's been gold/yellow in the middle. Now I have two and they both are more gold in the middle. Two examples does not a fact make, but I still vote for it to be Guacamole.

Take a look at the link below, go to the sport family of Guacamole. It is shown as being yellow/green margin too. But I haven't seen it as yellow myself, so I think of it as a two tone green. Then Stained Glass is a sport of Guacamole, and it too is shown as yellow/green margin. (y/g) Which I've see two of my SG's always keep the yellow middle with the green margin.

I was looking at that Guacamole family sport tree, and realized tonight I have MOST of those in my garden....the ones readily available recent years, any way. Got a big box of them delivered today. And that's where I was headed to make a new post and reveal their names. Love those fragrant hosta.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyHostas Index of Sports

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, I love reading about, and seeing, hostas. I did start another thread and called it '2 noids' - I realized that it was a different topic.

I think it is a guacamole...maybe...lol

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is Guacamole! I found a pic from last year and you can see Great Expectations in the background (at least the sign for it).

{{gwi:1001065}}

• User
    10 years ago

Yeeeeee HAAAA. I got one right. :) :)
    Oh happy day.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Swoonworthy 'Blue Angel' Paula. Yours has that almost powdery blue color, how much shade do you give it? I have 3 that are in their 2nd season and can't wait until they grow up.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliment on my Blue Angel, I really like it, too.

Our lot is relatively small to be growing hostas (lots of hostas) but I try and fit in as much as I can! In the photo below you can see Blue Angel to the left of the gargoyle. The fence behind the garden is south, so the hostas are facing north (towards the trunk of the large maple that you can see in the pic).

The hostas left of the gargoyle receive morning sun, probably between 7am - 10am or so and dappled a few times throughout the rest of day.

{{gwi:1029129}}

This next pic isn't a very good hosta photo but it puts the back yard into perspective, the pic is taken looking down from the deck on the second floor.

{{gwi:1029130}}

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Where did you get that Charlotte's Web????? I need one!!! LOL

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At one of my close garden places and this one really is local, four kms down the road. Are you familiar with Uxbridge? It is a small place called John's Garden Centre. He used to work for Sheridan Nurseries for years and started on his own about 7 years ago - he is very knowledgeable.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner