Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hccaver

Hosta hybridizing

HCcaver
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm a budding hosta enthusiast and I'm looking for some assistance in regards to pollinating my hosta(s). Best put, I want to try my hand at "creating" my own hosta. This year will be my first year trying this, but I'd like to take it more seriously as I learn the ropes.

Can anyone recommend any basic botany reading material that would explain to be the "cans" and "cannots" regarding hosta hybridizing? I've had a difficult time finding reading material when it comes to this. I know there are "rules" regarding hybrids and this is the kind of information I'm looking for.

I *think* I know the process, but I've often wondered why my 50+ varieties of hosta don't have little seedlings popping up everywhere.

I realize I should probably join the local or national hosta association, but money is rather tight this year with a wedding on the way. I'm also a younger gardener which makes it difficult to find people my own age with the same interests - they're just few and far between.

Any advice is much appreciated!

P.S. My reading material regarding the species is rather slim at the moment. I own a general book called "Hosta's", and the 1992 version of "The Genus Hosta". If money werent tight, I'd likely buy 4 or 5 of the better hosta books on the market. The "Hostapedia" looks like a must-have. Thanks again!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations