Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Anyone have a Devil's Advocate? Thoughts?

brandys_garden
10 years ago

So I am looking in Hallson's... I am thinking maybe I'll order 3 this time and get 4. I think Devils Advocate looks awesome... Thoughts on it or any photos?

Comments (9)

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Girl, you got it bad... playing all the angles I see. I don't have DA but it looks like an awesome hosta. It has my favorite coloring. WW

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm just looking at different colors and thinking of combos and types I don't have yet... I don't have one like DA, not even close... I might get it instead of June. Or I might get all 3- Irish Luck (for sure), June (possibly), and Devil's Advocate (possibly).

• jadie88
    10 years ago

You will need to start rethinking your "exit strategy" pretty soon...Devils Advocate is huge when it matures. You'll be putting hostas on your roof before you know it! :)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I have Devils Advocate. I believe this is its third, maybe 4th year.

It's starting to get rather large... probably about 4 feet across. But it'll be over 5 feet across before it's mature.

And Jadie is right... much like you, I was on a buying spree a few years ago. I placed hostas 2 feet apart cuz I wanted that 'filled in' look faster.

Now, here I am in year 7 of my garden and I have 30... YES 30 hostas that need new homes because they're being overtaken by bigger hostas that I didn't give enough room for.

But DA is no comparison to June. Period. June is at the top of the favorites list every year.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is IT for the year. I got 3 times as many as I set out to get. I have a plan and 20 is the perfect number for that plan. Next year, there will only be one, maybe 2 hostas on the actual patio. I am having the display built but it's actually going to fit around the patio and be like a stage. It'll fit all 20 (or more) of them on it fine. But I am only going to put so many, maybe 15 so they can be spread out. The larger hostas will be right by the steps set up like my albomarginata and wheee currently are. And perhaps 2 on the patio itself. I have thought it through pretty good. And it's taking a lot of water and time to get watering done in the mornings now so I think 20 is just fine and more than enough. I probably won't get anymore next year? Not until I move into a larger place with an actual yard that is mine.

• dg
    10 years ago

I don't have Devil's Advocate hosta, but am willing to play "devil's advocate" and offer some thoughts for you to consider.

Hallson Gardens have terrific minis and smalls that are more manageable for growing in pots like you and I do.
    :-)
    Consider some beauties like Blue Jay, Rainbow's End, Rainforest Sunrise and Stiletto as alternatives to large hosta that will be unhappy trying to exist in pots.

hth,
    Deb

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I have Devil's Advocate...2nd year...in a long, narrowish bed with Blue Angel and Earth Angel and no other hosta. Planning for it to get huge and they rewarded me by at least doubling in size from just last summer.

At this point, I don't like DA nearly as much as I thought I would. There just isn't enough contrast between the green & blue. For that matter, I'm not really crazy about Blue Angel either. But they're in a bed at the far end of the yard so they're supposed to function as background so it doesn't matter much if I don't love them. (I do really like Earth Angel--have three of 'em and have a couple of Guardian Angels that I plan for specimens.)

I heartily second Deb's suggestion to get Rainbow's End. I got one early this spring/ summer and have it potted up and on the porch where I can admire it. It's such a happy hosta, all shiny & smiling with great contrast. It's a young one and I don't trust it out in the garden yet. And being so special, I like to keep an eye on it.

Another one that I like a lot and new to me last last fall...is Adorable. Great contrast on that one, too, plus, being a sport of Royal Standard, the bonus of fragrant blooms. And it's another shiny hosta. Having plantaginea genes, it should adapt to your Ozark summers. It's supposed to be a med-large size, though. And, for that matter, Royal Standard is a great hosta, too. RS was the first hosta that I bought and I still love it as much as I did when I first got it--and didn't even know that it bloomed or was/ is (wonderfully) fragrant!!

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I think I will pass on DA for now. I just want to make sure this last order of the season and last additions for awhile are hosta that I really want and add something different to my hosta patio garden is all. I will look at Rainbow's End and I will let you know what the final order is. Thanks!

• LRB3
    10 years ago

I've got DA, in it's 2nd year. And I like it quite a bit, primarily because the variegation is so subtle. Plus, it's blue-green variegation, which I think is pretty cool. I'm weird like that...

T.