Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Is this Wide Brim?

My sister gave me this plant a few years ago. She did not know the name of it. I think it looks like Wide Brim. What do you think? I am right?

Thanks
Linda

Comments (20)

• irawon
    10 years ago

That's my Wide Brim on the left. i don't think they look alike but you be the judge.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon, I agree with you, they don't look the same. What could mine be? I really like it whatever it is.

Linda

• irawon
    10 years ago

Very pretty whatever it is. I'm not very good at the identity game but have you looked at Twilight? I have a couple of green and yellow NOIDS too. I'm waiting for them to bloom and mature. Maybe somebody else will recognize yours right off the bat as it looks pretty mature.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Linda, I think we can rule out Twilight too. What do you think?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think it's Twilight either. Probably would be something that was readily availble at nurseries. It is a mature plant that is a little over 2' wide and about 13" tall. Leaves are approximately 5x7.

Linda

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Whatever it is, I like it.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Is it 'Shade Fanfare'? Sorry, I don't have a pic. Anyone have a pic?

Don B.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Ya I have a pic of Shade Fanfare, but I don't think that's it. No I don't have a pic of SF yet but I'll take one soon.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ah, well....Back to the Hosta Library! I'll be happy to do some more 'research' there! ; )

Don B.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm...maybe I will have to wait and see what the bloom is like.

The mystery continues...

Linda

• hostasrgreat
    10 years ago

Fragrant Bouquet

• User
    10 years ago

Or, my exasperating NOID, which was IDed as Satisfaction. Here is a real Satisfaction.

• User
    10 years ago

Here is my Wide Brim in its second year.

• ogrefcf
    10 years ago

Here's my Wide Brim last year

I agree with the others, it's not Wide Brim. Whatever it is, it sure is pretty.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

No good at hosta ID, so FWIW here's a photo of Shade Fanfare.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

And here's a photo of Wide Brim. I like yours better than my WB and SF.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

How big is it Linda. I am not very good at deciding what a hosta is as well as what it most likely isn't. It looks nothing like the Wide Brim I have seen, nore FB. The leaf shape, wavy margin and variegation reminds me of Regal Splendor except it doesn't seem blue enough. Is your photo late in a season with much sun where the waxy coating has washed off. Is it vase shaped or mounded. A top photo doesn't show this. How big are the leaves and what color are the flowers.

If we knew these things I'll bet some of us will have your answer.

But it sure is a lovely hosta that I would be proud to have in my garden. :o)

Theresa

• irawon
    10 years ago

Could it be Atlantis? I don't have Atlantis. How old is the hosta? The 13" high doesn't fit Atlantis if it's really old though.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plant in question is only about 15" tall (I measured it again at the highest point) and is at least 5 years old, maybe more. The biggest leaves are about 5x7. It has a similiar growth pattern as So Sweet, upright with wavy leaves. The picture was taken yesterday and the colors are true in the photo. It does not have a blue tinge to it ever. I don't remember what color the flowers are or when it blooms. It does not have a bud scapes coming up at this point.

In the pictures below you can see it planted with So Sweet behind it and 2 of those commom green and white (don't know the name of them either) ones that you see everywhere. It is just a cute medium sized plant that has upright wavy green leaves with a creamy yellow edge.

I have Regal Splendor and I know it is not that and I don't think it's big enough to be Atlantis.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I guess you're all as stumped as I am? LOL, maybe when it blooms that will give us a clue.

Linda

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner