Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniegolden_gw

Squish

anniegolden
9 years ago

I plant things too closely. Here's a photo taken this morning of poor Regal Splendor, getting squished between an increasingly enormous native hydrangea (which I cut back but it seems to not mind), and a patch of polygonatum (which has helped me to internalize the meaning of the term "geometric progression").

In my defense, the hydrangea was 8 inches tall when I planted it 4 years ago. And there were only 2 pips of poly the reproducer.

Would anyone like to share their own crowding problems/solutions?

Christine

Comments (7)

• maggiepie_gw
    9 years ago

Hah, I have some.

Ice Age Trail

Lakeside Old Smokey and a couple of seedlings

Christmas Tree

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I think they look lovely all cozy together like that. I have the opposite problem right now - too much space not enough plants! When you decide to thin yours out, send 'em over here please!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Pretty pictures, but I am so hosta oriented that the only plant I want to see squishing a hosta is another hosta.

Hostinista- be patient yours will fill in soon enough.

-Babka

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, Ha! Yes, after considerable shameless lurking on my part, I think I can guess that Ken would comment that this is not the shade gardening forum!

Hostinista, Babka is right. Soon enough comes way quicker than we think. Here is a picture of this same bed taken 2 years ago. There is no discernible squishing. Regal Splendor and the now gigantic native hydrangea are located northeast of the crape myrtle trunks.

And here's a recent picture of another Regal Splendor planted at the same time as the squished one, but this one has had plenty of room.

Chris

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

All look good to me...squished and "non-squished" alike!

• User
    9 years ago

AnnieGolden, I notice you like the white vinca too! I love to plant that where it sits in evening shade to border a pathway. It lights up the way to walk without the distraction of lights.

I have a new Regal Supreme which I think should quickly look like your Regal Splendor. Or so it seems. I got it from Plant Delights this spring, and put it in a taller pot with more room for its huge roots to grow. I'm going to enjoy watching it.

I like to have all my hosta touching too. One consideration I have with mostly container gardening is to leave enough space between the pots for my fat older dachshund to walk between them! Both my girls disappear beneath the greenery, noses to the ground, sniffing for frogs or squirrels. Only the younger one is a digger after moles.

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moccasin,
    The white vinca is actually impatiens. But the effect is as you describe. White flowers are special. This year I could not locate flats of white (I plant about 150 of them), so I decided I loved magenta. The magenta impatiens look especially good near gold/chartreuse hosta, I think. I'm afraid this is getting badly off topic, except that I could mention that I plant the impatiens too close together also. And then, by August, they decide that they need to be quite tall.
    Christine