Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noid assistance

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 13:34

Purchased this one a couple of years back as Sunlight Sister. Which is described as "Large lemony; that turns bright gold in summer"....not too lemony....any ideas. This was from an avid collector's garden and I would guess 1980's or 90's for original purchase date. It is close to 5' wide and growing in some late afternoon sun. Biggest leaf is 10x13 with 14 vein pairs. Closest I have in my garden would be Montana - but that is not ready to bloom, so I'm ruling that out.
Looks like purple/lavender is likely bloom color.
"Hosta 'Sunlight Sister'
"Hosta 'Sunlight Sister'

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noid assistance

Looks sorta like Fried Green Tomatoes. Check if has fragrant flowers when it blooms. Just a guess. Phil

o

The leaves resemble those of Devon Green , don't know about the flowers.

o

If you are going by families, it looks kind of like montana or one of the Angels. No rugosity. I assume it's not fragrant or you would have told us that. Maybe Green Angel? Based on the timeline it's probably something Aden bred.

Steve

o

i am surprised paul .. no library checking???

sunlight sister is an elata sport ...

so check.. elata ...

ken

o

I personally doubt it is a plantaginea offspring, because it is already sending up its scapes, and you're up in MN, and mine here in AL zone 9A are not scaping. It is a nice green like many of my plantagineas though.

A friend in Idaho had frost last night....she just planted a hosta bed (I'm a bad influence I guess), but the hosta were not hurt. Message is, in MN you probably still having cool weather, I know MA sure is, but also beaucoup rain with it.

Is this kind of cool wet weather going to bring on the blooms for hosta even up in MN?

o

Elata is a montana hybrid. Makes sense. Check the flower pics on the library.

Steve

o

I looked up Elata last year on HL - matte surface and leaves don't seem that close a match to me.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here