Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

HVX in Sum & Substance question

gogirlterri
10 years ago

I can't show a photo because it is in a group of S&S being sold by a national hardware chain (not big box) in their outdoor greenhouse.
I have never seen the likes of what I'd seen. On any given leaf the colo.r was traditional chartreuse of early S&S being sold. However, almost all leaves had a section of much darker green that seemed to be bleeding from the veins where in places filled in solidly, yet the veins themselves were the same chartreuse as the normal soft tissue. Where the "bleeding" occurred it was laterally out of the veins-not lengthwise as when a hosta sports.

They had other hostas that didn't look right to me either. However, their streaking off color could have been sun dessication. I have no idea if they had been kept in direct sunlight, only that they are now under cover. I did leave a message for the manager to call me because of my suspicions.

My experience with S&S in direct sun has never shown it causes dark green stress syndrome. But I've heard that the ink bleed being dark wouldn't come from a light colored vein.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I am sure the local store doesn't specify the plants and their spring stock may very well be managed by a different business under license. My concern is that the whole lot of the 5 varieties my be showing early stage HVX symptoms, at which the buyer needs to address the question with the source.

Theresa

Comments (3)