Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonypumpkin

Hosta ID please help!

tonypumpkin
12 years ago

Please help in identifying these hostas--see link at bottom of post for pictures (you will have to cut/paste the address link into your address bar as this website is to archaic to allow me to post links and pictures properly).

Both were purchased at a nursery. The blue one was purchased as T-Rex and the lighter one with dark edges was purchased as Titanic. Neither look the way they are supposed to so I believe they were both mislabeled.

Please help ID if you can. I realize it is difficult.

The blue one looks similar to Abiqua Drinking Gourd.

The lighter one seems to be some sort of a sport of Sum and Substance--large leaves, dappled green margins with lighter center. Perhaps the full sun conditions are making it look different then a regular hosta Titanic grown in the shade?

Ideas? Earphones on the plant is for scale--it was all I had when photographing.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=277200#post277200

Comments (50)

• talynnp
    12 years ago

How's this?

Tanya

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

The second one looks like Big Daddy to me. I have T-Rex, and this is not it. (Thanks, talynnp, for giving us the pics.)

Steve

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting pics. . .I thought I followed forum directions but could note get it to work. . .and there was no ability for uploading to Gardenweb as far as I could see. Both hostas are large and seem to be very aggressive growers. They are entering their third year in the ground. Some of the leaves on the lighter one are deceiving--they can be very large--and of course they have not yet leafed out for the season yet.

Still. . .I am a little upset that I paid for specific kinds and didn't get what I paid for. From no on I will order from a reputable grower.

• Gesila
    12 years ago

The first one is drop dead gorgeous! I have a bright sunny spot to put one in!

Gesila

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah I kinda like it too. . .odd and thick wavy leaves. . .powdery white underneath. . .strange green margins that are not that consistent. . .wish I knew what it was and it's ultimate size. Seems to have more defined characteristics as it ages. Seems a little low growing for a sum and substance sport no (??) Leaves are also smaller I think. Perhaps it will gain some height as it ages? I had planted these very far apart. . .like 8 feet apart hoping to get massive specimen plants.

Oh well. . .at least they are bound to get reasonably large in this pacific northwest climate with tons of rain--even the smaller ones I have tend to grow larger then they are supposed to.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I think the first one is Beckoning. Yes it is gorgeous. I agree with Steve (evermore( that the second is Big Daddy.

Steve

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The leaves look a lot bigger than the top picture implies--very similar to sum and substance size--and when full leafed out they are quite round like Titanic. I wonder if it is Titanic but just looks different because of the full sun it gets (??)

Also, I checked the Hosta Library and it does not look like "Beckoning" at all in the examples given.

I'll try posting another picture.

The other one does look a lot like Big Daddy I think. . .at least in many of the pictures it is similar.

• ademink
    12 years ago

Steve...that was what i thought when i saw it too. looks like my beckoning!

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's very different from the Beckoning listed here (see link)

Can you please post a picture of yours so I can compare???

Here is a link that might be useful: link to hosta beckoning pic

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Here's the library pic

Steve

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Here's a pic from an auction currently on the Library
    {{gwi:1029829}}

Steve

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These pics look very different to me. . .but maybe it is because I am growing it in quite a lot of sunlight???

I am beginning to think it is a sport of Sum and Substance--who knows what or where from. . .the leaves have the texture and quality, and size of a Sum and Substance (except rounder). Also, the green margins are oddly spaced and show up quite lightly not dark like in the picture.

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

If upright, I'm thinking something in Krossa Regal/Regal Splendor family .... Regal Chameleon, Regalia....

Paul

• loujak
    12 years ago

Does this hosta come up all blue and then develope the lighter center, for this is what beckening does

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

Sorry, but there is no chance that your top picture is a sport of any kind from Sum and Substance and you are right, these were definitely mislabeled.

I think everyone has hit it right on with their ID for Beckoning. Beckoning is very different in every garden that it is grown and changes drastically through the season.

And I'd believe the other could be Big Daddy.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is another image. I will see if it uploads. Please have another look.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perhaps it is Beckoning after all? Maybe it is the sun that is bleaching it out a little?

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any other thoughts after that last picture?

• Mary4b
    12 years ago

Thoughts after last picture:
    heart palpitating, I must have that! It's breaking my heart it's so beautiful!

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

ctopher_mi is an expert. It's Beckoning.

Steve

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fair Enough. . .thanks Steve and others for their input. . .

Must be the high level of sunlight that it get's that is making the leaves turn a bit lighter and look different from some of the other Beckoning plants posted. I'll label it as Beckoning. Either way it is a good grower and I like it a lot.

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

You will know as the season progresses - if it is Beckoning then that center will get lighter and lighter colored. If not then we'll have to revisit this one.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. . .my feeling is that the centres will not lighten up--because they didn't last year. . .the whole thing just stayed this milky green color. However the plant was more immature at that time so maybe this year will be different. The other hostas I have are already showing mature leaves for the season. . .who knows. . .I'll post a couple of more pictures as the season progresses

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty sure this hosta is not Beckoning 3 years later on here. See picture. Leaves are massive, so is the plant.

Any thoughts? Starting to think it really is Titanic.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture. Plant is 5 years old now? Maybe 6 years and 6 feet across.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone want to revisit this? Any experts? Still think it's Beckoning even at this size? (see leaf pic--17 inch leaves).

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

I am not an expert but it looks like some pics of Vim and Vigor I have seen. 3 years waiting for an id is a long time I hope somebody can help you.

Denis

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Denis. I sure would like to get a positive ID. It has been a long time, and I wonder if it is too big for Beckoning? Can any of the experts weigh in? Are they still here after 3 years? lol

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump one more time :( Anyone?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I saw a beautiful mature Beckoning today but didnt take a pic. You could try emailing a couple of suppliers who sell this one and ask for I.D. Just don't tell them I suggested it, lol in case they object. I've taken pics in the past to a huge nursery for I.d. They were glad to take the time to help. Yes, I bought lots of plants too!

Just an idea...:-)

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

I'm sure the cognoscenti will be around soon. Meanwhile just the nightwatch present. I wasn't here for the 2011 post original. I had a hosta from that period that was a NOID then and remains a mystery now.

You know you are a hosta fan when you obsess over proper names. I don't blame you. It bugs me not to know every hosta in my garden.

Plus, your hosta is a great looker, and it is like tasty bait trolling before hungry fish!

Be sure to check the box below to have all replies to the thread emailed to you. I'm presuming you have your email listed on your Member page... I checked it so I too might be sent an email for responses to your question.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words all. Yes. . .I am very curious about this hosta. It was bought under the name "Titanic" and I've often thought that because I grow it in a lot of sun it looks a bit more washed out and thick leaved then a regular Titanic. However, the experts told me it was Beckoning. . .but the size seems a bit large to be Beckoning!

Either way I absolutely love the soft, twisted, and contorted large leaves on this one. . .and the smooth and creamy early spring colours are something to behold!

The other one I bought from the same nursery was DEFINITELY mislabeled as T-Rex, and I have narrowed it down to (Big Daddy, Tokudama, or Abiqua Drinking Gord). The picture is in this thread above. Feel free to comment on that one too :)

• User
    9 years ago

Tony....I'm looking at your screen name and wondering if you grow gigantic pumpkins?

If so, do you use the crushed crab shells to keep them getting bigger? I give a link below, because it seems champion pumpkins are grown using the stuff. The info is at this website.

I also use the crabshells in my potting mix to feed GOOD nematodes with the chitin in the shells.And I order from Neptune's Harvest up in Gloucester MA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptune's Harvest info for farmers

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

1st question is what is your zone? What time of the year were the photos taken? What do the flowers look like? If you have a sharp photo of the two in question, can you post them? If you take new photos, lay a soda can on the leaf to establish size for the viewer.

Titanic is listed as 15" high, dark green with a yellow edge. It is shiny on top and glaucous underneath. It has 13 pairs of veins. The leaf is 14" long and 12" wide.

Beckoning is 21 inches high, has 16 pairs of veins, and is yellow with a blue/green margin. The leaf is ovate and 13X 9 inches. It is glaucous on top and on bottom. Turns lighter yellow in the center later in the year.

It's probably not either of these.

How many pairs of veins does it have? I counted somewhere around 18. (the tape measure is in the way) Before it gets bleached out, what color is it? What does the underside look like? When does it bloom?

Same questions on your Big Daddy.

bk

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Holy Cow, your "Beckoning" that's perhaps not Beckoning is definitely beckoning me!

Did you google search the images for Beckoning? I saw quite a few that sure looks close to yours, and Chris at Hallson's didn't seem to have any doubt in his id, back in 2011.

Beckoning's look changes a lot with the light, etc, but there are certainly images that look like yours.

Did you see this thread by chance?
    I think I'd call it Beckoning until some major expert comes to my home and tells me differently.

Here is a link that might be useful: beckoning thread

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Moccasin. Yes, I like to grow giant things, pumpkin etc, but I think my success is more attributed to my growing climate and not so much my skill as a gardener. I don't put much stock in anything like crab shells etc (at least not for hostas). A few shots of balanced fertilizer early on in spring is all I need. I wish I would have planted some of the bigger ones in my more choice spots as I am sure they would grow even larger in the loose, deep garden soil. I am currently looking for rare giants to plant in my main garden where the roots won't get so bound up and they won't grow like ant hills and instead have room to breathe and expand.

@bk I will answer the questions I can.
    -Zone 8a
    -Photos taken in early spring (top ones at least--bottom leaf pic and the other one of the entire plant taken a week ago--so May-June).
    -I don't have a pic of the flowers, but I think they are purple or pink.
    -not sure on the pairs of veins--I do have a beer bottle in the top picture to indicate size.
    -The color of the hosta is yellowy-green-grayish--and it get's more yellow as the season goes on--but it is planted in almost full sun so it burns a good deal. the leaves are soft and contorted in different shapes. The underneath is powdery white.

I will try to take pics this year of the blooms. Normally I clip the blooms because I think they look messier and I prefer the leaves all season.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Mary. . .thanks for your opinion, and the thread. Perhaps it is Beckoning. . .it just seems rather large so I was uncertain and thought I would re-post 3 years later to see if opinions have changed.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mary, this is really big for Beckoning. I don't have it, so I'm certainly no expert. And you are right, Chris is usually right on target. The photos are not great, which makes it harder to ID. The first photo looks like it has a darker edge. But, look at the close-up with the tape measure. It doesn't look to have a contrasting edge in that photo. If you can't tell if it has an edge, how can you ID it?

Tony, look at Gray Cole. It could well be an old variety that is no longer bought and sold regularly like that.

Other than that, I don't have a clue. I downloaded the photos and tried to count the veins. They vary a great deal. I get everything from 14 in the first photo to 18 vein pairs in the leaf closeup.

Get some photos after sundown so that the colors are somewhat correct. It's been fried in the sun. Then the photo washes it out more. Get a photo of the flower and time it is open. Take a photo of the underside of the leaf as well.

I don't believe you will get an accurate ID with the photos and information you have. If I really wanted the ID, I would get those photos and start over here with a new thread.

I have Big Daddy and I'm in 8a, so they should be a similar size and color. It just finished blooming. The flowers are almost white and made lots of seeds. Get a good photo with as much detail as you can. Maybe I can help with that one.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Tony, thanks for all the great info.
    If you don't mind, leaving at least one scape on the ones you wish to identify will help come up with some options. When everything else is equal, it is frequently the bloom color and the bloom period which gives a definitive name to the hosta.

It is great having you come to the forum, you grow hosta with a difference it seems. Rare is always welcome.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@bkay. Thanks for the info. Perhaps I will have to start over next year with pics posted at each stage :(

I have attached a couple of more pictures that I had on my iphone. This side of the plant is where I ripped out a bunch of leaves that had been stepped on and growing all torn--so the leaves are not fully out on this side.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One last pic to show colouring.

I looked at Gray Cole. . .it looks to be a more blue hosta then mine :(

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That's quite a monster hosta, Tony. Also a tough I.D.!! I don't think I've seen a hosta stump so many people.

I'd say congratulations, but obviously your hope is to get an I.D., not stump everybody! There is still hope, though. The only thing I can add is I'm certain it's not a Blue Mouse Ears. ; )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Hi,

That unruly nature and large thick leaves now looks more like a sum and substance sport. Maybe it was from a batch of Titanic that sported all over the place and if that's the case it won't be a named variety.

The blue one isn't cupped enough to be Abiqua Drinking Gourd but could be another cupped blue (unless it has really deep cups now).

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input folks. I am thinking it may be a Sum/Substance sport after all! And here I have been telling everyone it is Beckoning for these 2 years! lol!

Here is a more recent pic of the other one (attached). Thinking it is Big Daddy or Tokudama? The leaves are very unusual and stiff on this one--almost like waxy cardboard, but powdery on top and underneath! This one was sold as T-Rex, but definitely is not.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

here's my beckoning

excuse the bugs ⦠17-yr cicada hatch â¦

dave

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Tony,

If you show us a picture of the flowers, we should be able to tell if it's a S&S or Titanic sport.

Steve

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

Tony - Beckoning starts out plain green and then lightens as the season progresses. I tend to think you have a Sum and Substance sport there. Here is a picture of Titanic with Winter Snow on the bottom edge. Sorry nothing to compare sizes, but they are huge leaves. Your colors look totally different, even allowing for lighting ......

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the thoughts and comments folks. I am wondering if the colour is so different on my plant only due to the fact that it is grown in almost full sunlight? I also wonder if some of the crinkled, unruly nature of the leaves could be attributed to the fact that it is root bound (because of the surrounding grass) and kind-of "bursting at the seams". The actual area where the eyes sprout is quite small (maybe 18 inches across) and it seems very tightly packed (lack of room to move--maybe causing the leaves to crinkle more on their way out?). It does share certain qualities of the Titanic sport in Jagd51's picture.

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Can I assume this is Titanic now? It's now my biggest plant. Regular size grey garbage can for comparison.

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you for bringing this plant back for an update. Awesome pictures with the garbage can for comparison! Nice touch! Hope someone can report back to you. The flowers are faintly lavender so I (in all my 4 years of hosta experience) say it doesn't look like my S&S in bloom and though mine is smaller, the flower colors would not alter.

I've watched Titanic programs since dinner time, so I was ready to see the Titanic hosta too. Someone else will have to provide an answer, it is beyond my ken.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?