Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jack of Diamonds

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 13:41

It took a few years (planted 08) to crank up and get going. Last year it looked good, but the leaf size and margins took another step this year. Growing in some sun thru early afternoon. MyHostas.BE notes it is a sieboldiana hybrid, but considerably smaller than 'Elegans', 'Francis Williams'.....non-burning, strong gold margin.

Jack of Diamonds
Hosta 'Jack of Diamonds'

Thanks for looking. Hope you'll share your pics.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jack of Diamonds

Paul, do you (or anyone else here) know what distinguishes Jack of Diamonds from Tokudama Flavocircinalis? Both, I believed are described as looking similar to Frances Williams but smaller (and without the dreadful desiccation). Despite having two Tok. F's I found myself purchasing Jack of Diamonds a few years ago. I'm trying to figure out if I need to keep it around if visually it's going to be practically identical to Tok. F. I guess I bought it thinking it would be noticeably smaller than Tok F...but I don't really know. My Tok F's started with small margins but widened with age- don't you love when that happens.

o

Paul - what are the 'plain greens' keeping Jack company, and what is the variegated plant on the lower left?
Jan

o

I also think it looks a lot like a Tokudama. What's the growth rate.

Steve

o

coll_123, I don't know how much they differ. These colors and also blue with green are my favorite hosta color combinations - so having one more is not a problem in my garden.

Jan, to left is plantaginea, to the right is Diva and in front is Artemisia - green, white and yellow splashes of color. It started out behind plantaginea and JOD, but it migrated front and center over the past 2 years. I think it was purchased at a garden club plant sale, which suggests to me that it is easy to grow.

Paul

o

Paul, the blue with the chartreuse edge is my very favorite combo- which is certainly why I did buy Jack of Diamonds. Don't even ask me why I have two Tok. F's...see, I can't resist that combo. I think I am going to keep my Jack and plant it next to LAkeside Beach Captain.

What I REALLY wanted was a mini Frances Williams lookalike- something very small- say 18" wide, dense mound, with thick leaves and that color combo. Tropical Storm is the closest thing I've found but it's not quite right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here