Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta of the Day - Dream Queen

Posted by evermore z 4b/5a NB (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:52

Every year on the forum, we talk about Great Expectations and its lookalikes. I grow four of them: GE, Dream Weaver, Thunderbolt, and Dream Queen. My favorite, at least this year, is Dream Queen. Mine is a bit crowded by Paradigm, but she holds her own. A good grower (much better than GE in my experience), incredible substance, and a real eye-catcher. Let's compare notes again!
Dream Queen 2013 photo IMG_0707.jpg

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta of the Day - Dream Queen

I'm folding on this round. My Dream Queen disappeared this year, from a wee pair of leaves it put up. Now nothing. Maybe in a few years I'll try it again. Right now, I have all these other hosta that seem to appreciate what I try to do for them, rather than that ungrateful Dream Queen who died on me.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 14:29

Oooh, that's purdy, Steve! Looks to me like there are 4 different colors in her leaves: blue, green, golden yellow and a creamy white center line from the stem.

I can't wait to see more Dream Queens ;-)

Deb

o

Beautiful hosta, Evermore. I lost mine to the darling demon doglet last year.

bk

o

Looks much better than mine - although, mine looks much better since I moved from the path of the destroying dog......I've found that despite being knocked down for 2 years, that it still comes back and is recovering nicely so far since the move....

o

This is a pic from last year,but it looks basically the same this year. A slow grower,to be sure,but worth waiting for. Phil

photo 2012-04-19033928PM.jpg

o

The 11 leaves of my Dream Queen sure filled this spot up nicely this year. Must not have been much to write home about in previous seasons as this is the first year that I've taken pictures of it.

photo IMG_5851_zps7aaa5d6e.jpg

Great picture Greenthumb, it made my evening!

Gesila

o

photo DSC_0764_zps70c21ad3.jpg

Not close to the others posted, but it looks like some vigorous new growth and it may fill-in a lot more as the Summer goes on. The variations in coloring due to positioning, zone, soil or whatever is very interesting. Mine gets a good amount (4-5 hours from 9-1) and dappled from then on.

Jon

o

My DQ is a verrrry slow grower and not worth a pic. DreamWeaver in its second year in my garden grows well in morning sun and very acid soil. I took a pic of it instead:)

o

First year. So far so good.

Don B.

o

• Posted by mbug nj 6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 22:09

Big Leap this year....and still going
 photo DREAMQUEEN1.jpg

photo DREAMQUEEN.jpg

o

Oh greenthumb - how sad! Makes me wonder what colour your other fingers are lol???
Jan

o

Out of the four hostas mentioned, I am really partial to GE. Here are two new additions to my garden---GE(#3) and a Dream Queen.

o

I really don't have any trouble with GE... two of my three are very nice. I do have to divide a big chunk of blue off one one of these days. My largest and oldest for many years took a nose dive some years back - either silver maple root competition or underground damage of some sort, so it is a shadow of its former self... looks like a second year plant.

I don't have Dream Queen. I've got a few Thunderbolt and Dream Weavers around... they are all older plants, but in lots of shade - and though pretty, they really haven't grown for me.

My gardens are large and I'm getting older, so I've pretty much had to take a "you've got to do it on your own" approach. I'll water - it is up to them to do the rest. I think these guys want more food and light than I'm giving them. The successful GEs are in much more light.

Pictures... must get out with the camera tomorrow if time permits. I've been busy digging and dividing for folks and haven't spent as much time observing and enjoying as I should...

o

Young Dream Queen leaf.

o

Dream Queen in a birdy place.

photo DreamQueenJune2013_zps31e77afe.jpg

Thunderbolt

photo TboltJune2013_zps5fb4c679.jpg

o

Dream Queen this year. It was a bit windy out when I took the picture. I lost Dream Weaver two years ago.

o

My GE planted in 2007, suffering from tree root competition only has 2 eyes but they're fat. I'm planning on lifting him in August and replanting him in a spin out bag now that I have some. I'll ttry to remember not to plant too deep. Hope lifting is not the same as relocating.

o

My Thunderbolt wasn't doing well on a slope, so I've relocated him. I bought a new Thunderbolt and planted him in bright shade in a northern exposure, the same as my Dream Queen. The eye in front is the old Thunderbolt. I notice a broken leaf ... it's really been windy here.

o

LOL @ Jan - My thumbs are green, but my dogs paws are not....It's definitely not looking so sad now......Very vigorous growth this year. I gave up training him out of that area and moved it.....Will take a new pic...a tribute to how great a plant this one is

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here