Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasrgreat

What is the right environment for H. Patriot?

hostasrgreat
10 years ago

H. Patriot (I have two plants) has not grown the way I would like it in my garden and I need to move them. I was concerned about burning out the white edge when I bought them and planted them in areas of my garden that received very little direct sunlight.

What is the receipt for growing Patriot (or Minuteman for that matter)?

Comments (10)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Can't resist... In a garden with a lot of Liberty.

I put Patriot in morning sun even here in CA, and I don't think its edges have ever burned.

-Babka

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

5 Patriots and 19 minutemen. Those that get more sun (none get more than 6 hours) grow larger and nicer. None have any burn.

Jon

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I have Minuteman. It gets 4 hours of morning sun and then the sun comes around and hits it from 2-3 pm. Mine has never burned and grows well. I keep it well watered, of course.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Rescued one from heavy shade to bright shade and in 2nd year since move it is responding very well.

Paul

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Mine gets about four hours of morning sun and looks good! I don't know how old it is though. It is a sheltered southeast exposure and gets pretty hot over there...for Nova Scotia (not really very hot).

• hostasrgreat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advise. Feedback is unanimous, Patriot (and Minuteman) need more sun. I will move them this weekend.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Mine gets sun here at the 45th parallel from dawn till 3pm. No crispy edges here.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Not that you needed more advice, but I've also had luck moving mine (for aesthetic, not growing, reasons) from heavy shade to a bit of afternoon sun.

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

I have Minuteman... He gets direct morning sunlight and then dappled sunlight from 11am-1:30pm or so. Research says he is more "sun tolerant". He is doing excellent! My Fire and Ice is also doing good... About the same amount of sunlight as Minuteman.

This post was edited by Brandys_garden on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 23:41

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I planted Patriot late last summer...in near full sun...along with Abba Dabba Do, Sun Power, Yellow River, Stained Glass and Wide Brim. Alex Summers is tucked back in a bit more shade.

So far, so good but we've had a very late and exceptionally cool spring. Remains to be seen how they will hold up during dog days. I've been telling DH, "Summer has been canceled" so I'm not sure that they will get tested this year. Anyhoo, they're taking the sun just fine (long, long summer days here on the frozen tundra) and I'm extremely pleased with their growth. Heat, of course, is a separate issue. (The hostas are planted in a raised bed & the soil we brought in is on the heavy side. I also mixed in some of those moisture crystals when I planted them because we don't have irrigation on that side of the driveway.)