Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

More help please...

mbug_gw
11 years ago

I know I'm being a PIA, but the forum expects are my best resource. I found this guy off in a corner at a contractor's site looking a little beat up and kinda like a hosta orphan. I thought it looked promising, and with a little TLC might come around. BUT......, as usual, I have no idea what it is. Would appreciate help so I can find the right spot for it where it will thrive.

Thanks once more!

{{gwi:1030354}}

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

love pat ???.. abiqua drinking gourd??? whatever the lakeside name version ????

what does an ID have to do with where you put it???

you see its minimum size.. may get taller .. definitely wider..

its blue.. no afternoon sun ...

plant in mother earth.. roots down .. water copiously ...

ken

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was primarily concerned with finding the right amount of space for it. The ID would tell me that. I do like to know what I have. I am still "new" and I can recognize more by site than I used to, but have a long way to go. Thanks

• irawon
    11 years ago

Mbug, I know how you feel. Could it be 'Bressingham Blue'. I planted it and allowed space for its mature size but it's gotten bigger than anticipated. I'm planning on moving it at some point. BB was planted in 2007 and has root competition. It's good to know what your dealing with to save yourself future headaches. Good luck.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Checked HL and it could be Bressingham Blue...but when I looked up Love Pat I thought the same thing. I this helps...Largest leaf is 8x6....some are cupped...some not.
    Yours looks very nice and pretty big!

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    11 years ago

My first thought was Abiqua Drinking Gourd. The leaves are already a bit big for Love Pat. Could also be Big Daddy. All three of these have the cupping you are seeing here. Of these three, it reminds me most of my ADG, which is likewise looking ratty this year. In fact I laughed at a description I read recently that said ADG was slug-resistant. Not mine!

Steve

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Steve, I just bought a nice big three eye division of ADG. Huge, cupped leaves. I bought it because I cannot get Big Daddy to grow to save my life so I thought I might swap it out for ADG. BUT I did notice that the leaves of ADG are not nearly as thick as big daddy, so I expect some damage. Big Daddy and Love Pat are very thick.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

It's definitely got siebodiana genes in it, but I don't think it's Elegans. My guess is Big Daddy. It's not cupped enough to be ADG or Love Pat.

Steve

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like Big Daddy too! I keep changing my opinion, LOL. How about best 2 out of 3?

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

Its still young... give it a couple years and then you can be sure... but its a hosta... so definitely plant it!
    John

• Bennie0203
    11 years ago

Black Hills?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I was primarily concerned with finding the right amount of space for it. The ID would tell me that.

==>> not really ...

height is height ... its genetic ..

width is unlimited ... given decades ... and good culture ...

since height is genetic.. but for hyper fertilization.. as i said.. its all right there in front of you.. that is.. most likely.. basically ... its height ... perhaps 1/3 taller ...

also.. as a youngish plant.. obtaining an ID.. is near impossible.. as the above peeps are showing you ...

the easy answer.. give it a 3 to 4 foot circle .... and wait 5 to 10 years.. until it fully matures ...

in the mean time.. plant smaller things.. that can be moved out.. when this one achieves its full potential ..

as one above said.. and because it is blue.. it has sieboldiana in it.. that means it can and will get very large ...

and you have until the end of summer.. with this 'newbie' excuse.. i .. we.. plan on bringing you up to speed very quickly ...

ken

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

I have two acres of hosta I have lost track of the names!! What I do know is yesterday I noticed my Francis Willimas had a part that was reverting back to all blue/green. No variegation in the middle of the leaf. I cut it out and as Ken said put it where it has a four foot circle to grow into. It is in the back of a bed so will go unseen for a few years. The part I cut out looks like the picture you posted. With something potentially as large as this hosta will get, I have learned the hard way give it space now. If you have to move it later you will lose all the years you gave it and start all over trying to let it fully mature!!

• irawon
    11 years ago

Here's my 'Big Daddy' for comparison's sake. He had to be hosed down because the deck guy got wood stripper all over him. He's usually a lot bluer. I find BD's leaves a lot smaller, rounder and more cupped than Bressingham Blue's. My BD is quite a bit smaller than BB, although he's been in the ground longer. So, he's a much slower grower than BB. I'd allow at least 4 feet for BD and 5 for BB.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for your help. I will continue to ask so I can get "up to speed" as soon as possible. Each post brings great information and your pics provide the inspiration...more so than any other source I've found.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the ground and happy (I Hope). When I took it out of container it looked liked it was growing in mud. Made me think of Ken's driveway philosophy. Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert