Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

H. Luna Moth arrived and a bonus.. Hosta #17

brandys_garden
10 years ago

I got my H. Luna Moth from Hallson's just a few minutes ago... She is gorgeous!!

And... As a bonus (which I was not expecting but thrilled about!) H. El Nino! Says it is a derived from Halcyon. It is stunning, too! I had to rush and get him a pot because I didn't have one. But, can you believe I've managed to fit 11 hosta on my patio?!

All of the patio babies...

The entire hosta patio garden from different angles

Comments (15)

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Yeaaaaa Brandy! And what a sweetie, too!! She'll be feeding those hummers soon, too. . .lol

You will LOVE El Nino. She will be a great adition to your deck display! Did your neighbor get your shelving done for you yet?

• idiothe
    10 years ago

nice!

First Frost... Halcyon sport that starts out in the spring with a yellow margin that changes to cream and white through the season... gets better press... I think because Bob Solberg, a great hosta man with great contacts, released it... Just got the Benedict Award...

but I actually liike El Nino better. It starts out with the white edge and it is an excellent color contrast with the Halcyon-blue leaves. It's Dutch originator says it is a seedling of Halcyon and unknown pollen. The idea of a Halcyon giving a margined seedling seems so remote, I really question the origin. It sure looks like a sport from Halcyon...

• idiothe
    10 years ago

nice!

First Frost... Halcyon sport that starts out in the spring with a yellow margin that changes to cream and white through the season... gets better press... I think because Bob Solberg, a great hosta man with great contacts, released it... Just got the Benedict Award...

but I actually liike El Nino better. It starts out with the white edge and it is an excellent color contrast with the Halcyon-blue leaves. It's Dutch originator says it is a seedling of Halcyon and unknown pollen. The idea of a Halcyon giving a margined seedling seems so remote, I really question the origin. It sure looks like a sport from Halcyon...

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sidney, no the neighbor hasn't even started on the display yet! He said he would around the 2nd week of July. I sure hope so!! I was hoping to order Touch of Class and 2 more from Hallson's to make it an even 20 before the season is up!

I am officially out of room on the patio! LOL! Any more and I will be "blocking the exit!" LOL!!

Idiothe, I was not expecting El Nino and I unwrapped him first. I thought they had sent me the wrong order and I actually said "OH NO!" (The manager of the park came over to see Luna Moth that I had been telling her about.) Then when I unwrapped LM, I was so relieved but still not sure if they had messed up or something. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it was a bonus! Perhaps to make the package weigh right so it didn't mess up shipping maybe? I am sure they don't get a lot of orders for just 1 hosta! LOL!!

I had to rush and buy him a pot but he is a happy and very welcome surprise and addition to my hosta patio garden!

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Jim, I agree. El Nino is one of my very favorites. I'll take it over First Frost always. It looks good even at the end of the year. It's surprising how much sun it can take, too. I lost a tree in its area and it took some pretty harsh sun for a season. A looker that's not one bit fussy.

Brandy, I'm looking forward to pictures of your new shelving when itâÂÂs done. How exciting for you! I imagine you have planned the "seating arrangement" over and over in your head. . lol

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

How exciting. Luna Moth is on my list and now I'm thinking about El Niño because I love Halcyon. Looking good, WW

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

How exciting. Luna Moth is on my list and now I'm thinking about El Niño because I love Halcyon. Looking good, WW

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Brandy,

Have you considered getting a tiered shelf to hold your hostas? Might be able to fit a few more into your space that way, and it would free up space.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Hallson's always sends a bonus plant with any order, so I was waiting for this post to see what they sent you. El Nino is a good bonus! Luna Moth is a lovely plant. Mine is in more shade this year than previously so the colors are darker and aren't lightening up a lot yet but I suppose it will eventually. If anything you can just start spreading your pots around the deck instead of on. Lots of room that way.

Karen

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Cool, I was wondering what Brian and Chris would send you for a bonus...They always do that as a 'Thank You' which is really cool, because most companies don't...I love Hallson Gardens, they always send hosta that are in top condition...Enjoy the new plants...

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Welcome to the world of online Hosta shopping, Brandy. You started at the top of the heap with Hallson. Good sized plants that you know are healthy and great customer service. You're in deep now.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:05

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys could have told me they do that so I could have had a pot for poor El Nino and not said "OH NO" when I unwrapped him first!! LOL! (Steve, these aren't the first hosta I got online. I got my Fortunei Hyancintha (SP?), Fire Island, Blue Mouse Ears and PUD or Pineapple Juice online last year as TC starters. I am way more impressed with Hallson's though! So I am a returning customer! So what you all are saying is that I really just need to pick one other for sure that I want like Touch of class and I'll get another bonus that will make it 20? Awesome!! I am thinking either Striptease or the one pictured in the corner on this site... What is that one again, one of the tiaras I thought?

Esther, I would love the railing idea but my patio is slightly off... Not exactly level. A common problem living in the Ozark mountains. And if you notice, my hosta are all level because I have pieces of cardboard or something underneath making them so. I don't know if a railing would work or not? It might just bunch them together. Karen, I've already started placing them around the patio instead of on... I am quickly running out of room that way, too!! And Sidney, yes... I have imagined what arrangement would look best about 1000 times!

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another good point I forgot to mention previously... My friend was telling me that not buying the June and Wickman's for $24 was stupid because I said I didn't want to pay that much for just 1 hosta.... She said "Well, didn't you pay that much for Luna Moth? Because with shipping it was $24!" I said well, it was priced at $14 and I don't want to pay over $15 for just one.... And now I can say "In yo face! I got 2 for $24 just as I said I wouldn't do and why I didn't get the June at Wickmans!"

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The pic at the top of the Forum page? It's a 'Liberty'.

Don B.

P.S.: Nobody wanted to spoil your Hallson 'surprise' plant! : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 22:41

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Halcyon, Touch of Class, El Nino....all wonderful hostas and near the top of my list of favorites. You're going to end up loving El Nino, more & more as time goes by.