Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

Emerald Ruff Cut, A complete dud

jimr66
9 years ago

I got this last year. after I planted last year, the crown rotted out lost half the plant.

this spring three nice eyes, again 2 of the eyes rotted out on me. It's not planted deep, It's not an overly wet area, I've heard this is a tough Hosta to grow

does anyone have any experience with this plant

Comments (9)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Jim, I lost my first ERC the second year I had it. I then replaced it and here it is in its 2nd year, second time around.

• User
    9 years ago

I have one I planted last year. It's doing well, no leaf loss or rotting like you've described. A little slow but it's under some intense shade. I just fixed that today by cutting down a young volunteer tree and that opened up some more light.

I'm sorry you've had bad luck with that one.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gary yours looks amazing, it's why I got this type in the first place.

I guess we'll see next year.

• tonypumpkin
    9 years ago

Wow. . .that's a beauty Gary.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Jim and Tony, thanks. This one was planted in a newly created bed that is mounded about a foot higher than the surrounding lawn. Its at least half compost which probably accounts for it looking so good.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Here's mine from earlier this season. It's been in the ground for 7 or 8 years for me and is planted between a very large oak and a maple in the back of my yard. It's been quite neglected in my garden for about 5 years, but last year we got tons of rain so I can say crown rot was not a problem for me. Maybe try moving yours to a different location to see if you get better results next year.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Oh boy, my nemesis hosta. From ten feet away, I like it. Up close, I hate it because of the bad desiccation it gets every year. The one thing good thing is that it sends up enough new leaves in the summer to make me let it stay. I'm on my second one too- first one arrived mail order and looked stressed, and never did recover. Reordered the following year and got a better plant to start. Mine is probably in it's fifth season- planted in a spinout bag, lot of shade, grows slowly but has nice big leaves.

• Wendys_garden
    9 years ago

I just love my Emerald Ruff Cut. It has never burned on me, looks great through all seasons, never any rot problems. I got mine in 2010. It is planted where it gets early morning sun, then shade the rest of the day. Soil is loose to about 10" deep, then clay. I actually would like to move it to my backyard where I can enjoy it more, but I am afraid to move it since it is so happy where it is. (Photos taken today)

Wendy

• Wendys_garden
    9 years ago

Leaf close-up:

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor