Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantgnome

what would you do?

plantgnome
11 years ago

I just got this today-I am so p'oed you have no idea. What would you do if you got this?

Comments (28)

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Geez,I hope you didn't pay good money for that! I don't know if you ordered that online,but I would definitely tell them about it!! That is terrible! Just another reason why I don't order online. Phil

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I ordered it online as I do with all my plants-the other two were perfect, this looked like they forgot and threw it on the top and sealed the box. I emailed them (Bridgewood) and am waiting for an answer. I paid $9.00 only because it was a half pint. I have gotten many hosta from them and never got something like this. Would you plant it or wait to hear from the company?

• bentleygardens
    11 years ago

PLANT IT, the company shouldn't ask for it back anyway, trim the leaves as well, it will regrow

Ed

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ed-I just trimmed the leaves and planted it. Its in its own niche I cleared especially for it. Hope it does well.

• Cindy
    11 years ago

I most definitely would complain to the company. I have received a few by mail but they have all been in very good condition, lovingly packed. I would not tolerate this condition.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks CindyCRNA-I did complain and am awaiting an answer, I have ordered from them before and never had an issue-I guess it was who ever packaged it for shipment. Lets see what they say.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heard from Bridegewood-they are replacing it Monday. Got a bit upset when I mentioned posting it on this website.
    Here is their reply:
    "I'm sorry you had a problem with one of our plants. We do not just throw plants in the box, but we do occasionally make mistakes. We will send you a replacement Monday. It wasn't really necessary to threaten us with a post on Garden Web, but that's up to you."

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

OK, embarassed to admit it, what I did was LAUGH OUT LOUD! What a sad sorry excuse for a hosta. Then I joined you being 'p o'd'. Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction - sounds like they want to keep you happy.
    Jan

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Glad they are replacing your QOTS. Looks like they have good customer service, except whomever wrote the response to you seems like they were a bit, shall I say, snippy.... IMHO, I would have taken more offense to their email response than to the plant arriving tattered and torn....

Gesila

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am glad they are replacing it also. Their replay was on the top of snippy. I replied to them accordingly.
    "I didn't have a problem with one of your plants, it arrived shredded and broken. It was laying sideways with nothing holding it in place but you had an empty pot wedged in the bottom. If this plant was in that pot, this would not have happened. Whoever packaged it did a poor job."

And now that I found Hallson, I will give them all my business. Only reason I used BWG was because Hallson was sold out of Queen of the Seas and Stained Glass.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i think it was outrageous for the OP to post a slander.. BEFORE getting a reply ..

there is simply no reason for that

and i would not accept your business in the future .... if it were me ...

come on ... you have to give a peep a chance to make it right.. before you go destroying their reputation ... so they lose your business.. and anyone else who comes along and sees this.. pshaw ...

and on top of it.. you get a second for free.. and there is nothing wrong with this one ...

you owe them an apology

ken

• Cindy
    11 years ago

"Occasionally make mistakes "??!! Throwing a plant in a box is not a mistake, it is shoddy work. A plant that is well packed, but arrives broken is a "mistake". This was negligence.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not trying to ruin anyones rep. I had to spend at least $25.00 in order to be able to place an order with them and pay $10.00 for shipping on top of that, which is fine. But receiving that was insulting. I know everyone makes mistakes. I really don't think my one post is going to ruin their reputation or cause them to lose business. If they don't want my business in the future, that's fine also. I think if I would have posted that message on lets say Daves Garden Watch Dog as a negative, that would ruin their rep. Since almost everyone that purchases online refers to them before placing an order. Exactly 6 people replied to this. Sorry if I offended anyone.

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    11 years ago

Gotta agree with Ken. Everyone is human and they weren't even given a chance to make it right (which it sounds like they did).

• HostaEdz5
    11 years ago

I am with Ken! They are making it right like Ken said now you get two plants for the price of one. Every one has an off day I am sure that at some point every mail order plant company has had a plant damaged in shipping. I am also sure that every company in the world has had a cust. svc. rep have a bad day. They are making it right-no one is perfect.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you are all entitled to your opinions. Chalk it up to me having a bad day.

• dray67
    11 years ago

Sounds like they responded quickly and you come out on top with 2 for the price of one.

Dave

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yup guess I did.

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Ken, "Resp ipsa loquitur" applies here, I feel. "The thing speaks for it's self". There is no defense for the company, only how they handle it. I think by mentioning the company, the OP was attempting to maybe illicit response from others that had maybe dealt with the company. I know the OP was excited about this plant as they had posted in another thread about planting pot size.

• gayle0000
    11 years ago

Good for them for calling you out on GW! The least you could do is write them an apology/thank you note directly and not post about it here.
    Gayle

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

calling me out-what are you in high school. Enough already

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I see no slander (or libel, for that matter) in plantgnome's post. Pretty much just matter of fact with a smattering of understandable angst. As mentioned, just a query to elicit possible shared experience. The company, to their credit, corrected the flaw and all is well.

tj

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Interesting that OP was quick to post about vendor and others quick to post about OP. Ironic.

Paul

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Paul,I honestly only meant I remember the OP looking forward to this plant. I am confused. I have seen others really slam vendors for things, naming them by name. I am thinking some vendors have "protected status" here. I had never really noticed it with others having bad outcomes with on-line mail order and naming them but boy, this got bad quick. I think I would have probably done the same thing as the OP, not knowing it can be a sensitive subject here. Easy on the newbys. We will learn the rules.

• buckeye15
    11 years ago

If I opened that box and saw that pathetic plant, I would have been really ticked. Then I would have set it up there and taken a photo just like the OP did. Here is where my approach would have differed. I would have emailed the pic and a request for replacement to the vendor, and awaited their reply. Then, based on their reply, I would have gone onto the forum and posted about the response, either as to how great they were to correct it the problem, or that worthless company treated me like crap.

The OP mentioned buying from this vendor multiple times previously, so must have had good experiences previously. Why wouldn't he/she at least give the vendor a chance to respond before announcing to the whole world how bad this company is....and yes, people from all around the globe read these forums.

Does anyone realize how little money most of these specialty nurseries make on each plant. They pour their heart and soul into their plants, and just try to make a living, and must have treated this customer well previously to receive repeat orders....just to get treated like this...for one bad plant. I have no affiliation with Bridgwood Gardens, and have never even ordered from them before, but I don't think they got a fair shake here. Now if I were the one with the busted up plant, and it was caused by poor packing, and they refused to make it right, then the gloves are off, and their name would be smeared all over, but that was not the case here.

Just sayin....

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

If your business is shipping plants there really shouldn't be any "mistakes". OP is just fine posting a picture and venting. Half you people need to get over yourselves. Oh no! Some one posted a mail order experience on free forum where people are supposed to! Woe is me! And they posted a follow up of what happened, so any semi educated person who reads could see what happened. Good hell people. Slander? Ridiculous.

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Oh and the Kenites make me laugh. I love how nothing is said for 10-11 post, but as soon as Ken says something you come out of the woodwork.

• plantgnome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm just trying to let this thread run its course, but it seems like many posters like beating a dead horse. Whatever, let them have their fun.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting