Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

MnHS Garden Tour 6-23-2012

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Visited 3 gardens yesterday plus a stop at Funkie Gardens(nursery) and The Garden Gate at CrabtreeâÂÂs(garden art and gift shop). Weather held off and humidity and heat were down from earlier this week - so we a had pleasant day.

1st one toured was the Morris Garden in WI. Driving up you would never expect to find a cache of hosta on these grounds. A virtual sea of hosta along the side yard leads you to a sunnier garden loaded with more beauties and a sales area.

I've name the ones I could as many were too deep to see tags or not tagged. You'll just have to enjoy for the beauty and not the names. Bought a couple at this one Neat and Tidy and hypoleuca. Three opportunities to buy today - also added a fern and a replacement for Mango Tango from that is going solid, plus DW won Bulletproof.

Link to Morris Garden slideshow is below-

I'll add posts for the other two gardens in this discussion.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Morris Garden

Comments (20)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

"A sea of hostas" so perfectly describes it. What a wonderland. Truly a feast for my eyes. Thank you so much.

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Afternoon continued with a visit to Robey Garden, also in western WI. After taking a quick shopping opportunity and lunch we proceed to the back yard and what seemed like a nice little group of hosta at top of stairs that quickly spread in all directions. A collector with over 1000 varieties and many multi-clump borders and groupings - incredible.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Robey Garden

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful collection of Hosta. Thanks for the tours.
    Cher

• andi_mn
    11 years ago

what a treat, thanks for the pictures

• esox48
    11 years ago

Nine times out of ten, when I look at a serious hosta display, I think it's too dark. The Morris Garden is a rare exception....and I love that Paradise Power...

• Cindy
    11 years ago

It's official! I don't have enough hostas!!! Morris Garden is what I would like to achieve on a smaller scale. A solid border of hosta where you can't see the ground beneath!

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

LOVE this! Thank you! Loved the canoe as a water feature!

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Xcellent, thanks so much for sharing! It makes me wonder if those gardens are open for tours by appointment should we wish to center them around a vacation?

hh

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing Paul, amazing gardens. Is the canoe in the Robey Gardens an intentional or a serendipitous water feature? I love it.

Jon

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Miller Garden is one I've had a chance to visit twice before and it never disappoints. A neighborhood garden tiered up a significant slope across 4 neighbors back yards (plus their own). About 1500 varieties. I doubt I've seen three gardens in one day with the volume of varieties and sheer number of hosta that these contained.

Slideshow Link below-

If you would like to see more of the Miller Garden - they're listed under the Open Gardens from 2010 AHS Tour in the following link.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/hpgal0721460117816.html?5

Hope you enjoyed.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Miller Garden

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    11 years ago

Paul, thank you for this. These gardens are inspiring and it was thoughtful of you to let us look over your shoulder.

Steve

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Paul,

Great slide shows once again. I put the browser on Full Screen view and take my time going through these. Fabulous gardens. What is that green rippled beauty with purple flower sticking up from the Robey garden? It's spectacular.

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As always, happy to share.

steve_mass, sorry I don't have an answer. Maybe somebody here can ID....

Help needed to ID-

Link below may help.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Piecrust-leaved Hosta

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I don't think it's Lakeside Ripples, the flowers are wrong. I don't think it's Green Piecrust either. It could be Manhattan, but I've never seen one that large. Manhattan is a very slow grower.

Steve

• allnitro
    11 years ago

'Manhattan'

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Gee,Paul! I thought my garden had hostas close together,but they have me beat! I liked the Paradise Power in the Morris garden,too. Mine is that large in diameter,but not grown in that much sun,so not nearly as yellow. Thanks for the tour. I've always said gardens grow a lot better on flat land,but I don't have that option,or that much land. Phil

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

I also think it is Manhattan. The Morris garden is amazing. I'll check the other links another day. My old computer is giving me a headache. Photobucket is taking for-ev-er.

Beverly

• kiendu
    11 years ago

Beautiful... Thanks so much for sharing!

It really makes me regret not starting with hosta's earlier in my lifetime! Now that I've hit the big 5-0... I don't have enough time to create such a masterpiece! Not to mention all the work involved! DH just isn't interested.. more to mow around.. so he actually doesn't want too many beds. And, well, I'm just getting too darned tired after working on what I already have. It must be a group effort (love) to create such breathtaking landscapes.

I'm jealous... there! I said it.

• peggy_hosta
    11 years ago

Thanks Paul! Did you happen to notice what systems they use to water? I noticed most of these gardens are under pines. They must be friendlier than my oaks, basswood, boxelder, and ash!
    Peggy K

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Thank you Paul for the wonderful garden tours. Beautiful pictures and beautiful gardens. You did such a good job.

I agree the hosta with flower in question looks just like my Manhattan.