Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Question about Wilting Hosta

santamiller
9 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago about my first year Satisfaction (from Hallson Gardens) that wilted each afternoon. The next morning it was in perfect shape again. It is potted and was in dappled sun. I was advised to move it to no sun at all, which I did. It never wilts now and has done great. My question about this is if a hosta wilting as this one did is actually bad for the plant or if it has no real negative affect on it? I'm sure I may have others in the future which do the same thing and my 100% shade areas are very limited.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

It's weird that you mentioned that--my Satisfaction has been looking wilted(ish) too--it gets morning sun, but is shaded after 11am or so. What a picky plant!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I can't find your other post. The plant is just talking to you. How long have you had it? New this year? Hostas can acclimate but it takes them time. Your zone is very different from western Michigan where the plant was first grown, and what you see this season reflects how it was grown last season, when it stored all its energy. Many of my potted hostas stand taller in the early cool morning and relax a bit in the afternoon, but I would never call it wilting. Your plant is telling you that it likes a bit more shade in your zone. Don't worry, be happy, and you will have satisfaction. ;-)

PS. My Satisfaction from Hallsons new this spring, stands tall all day in filtered sun and I'm in zone 9b. That one doesn't even relax during the daytime.

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 14:36

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babkaâ¦..I got it as a bare rooted plant in mid April of this year. I only have 15 hosta and none of the others relax/wilt (or maybe droop is actually a better word) like Satisfaction does. It certainly never showed any signs of damage from it's daily relaxation period when I had it in dappled sun.

jennaâ¦..do you have any others that do the same or only Satisfaction? I actually pulled mine out from the roof overhang recently to let it sit out in the rain. That afternoon after the rain stopped it was very overcast all day and to my shock late that afternoon it became wilted looking just as much as it did before I moved it from it's original spot to the shaded area.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Santa, some do better than others. All those I chose this year from Chris have done well. I guess I lucked out.

It may be the heat, not the sun. Just do the best you can with it this year. Keep it in the shade the best you can and keep it watered well. It will be better next year. It will be acclimated by then.

If you went from close to freezing to 90 degrees in the span of three shipping days, you might wilt occasionally, too.

I've got Paul's Glory in too much sun and it occasionally has that "relaxed" look, as Babka calls it. It's on it's second year here and is doing well, albeit a little pale. If you don't have one, you might consider it. Striptease holds up pretty well to a little sun, as does So Sweet, Guacamole and Sum and Substance. I think Squash Casserole is going to do well with a little sun.

One that doesn't like our Texas sun is Key West. I got it last year at Calloway's. Mine fried last year in morning only sun. It fried this year before the trees leafed out.

bk

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

Santa-none of my other 200+ are wilted, including all that are around Satisfaction. It's only in its second year in the ground, but is established.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I found your other post from a month ago. Chris gave you several reasons why this can happen and today Bkay put the icing on the cake. (She's a chef) All hostas don't acclimate the same and in your unbelieveable TX heat, this one needs more shade. All of us who keep them in pots will tell you that they move them around several times before they find that "happy" spot. Yes, this one loves the water.

Jenna- After a couple years, yours should be doing better. If not something is going on underneath.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Wilting post

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babkaâ¦..I wasn't concerned about the fact that it was droopy as I was in the first thread. I got that question thoroughly answered. On this thread I was asking if wilting/drooping/relaxing was harmful to a hosta should I run into others which do the same due to my very limited 100% shade area.

Before I moved it a few weeks ago it was drooping with the temps in the low 80s. Now in full shade and some temps in the upper 90s it never droops, so it was definitely a sun issue, not a temp issue.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I get that you are concerned. Ultimately, It is always good to site a hosta where it is the happiest, with as little stress as possible, if you can. Brand new plants require more care than the ones that you have grown for a couple years. Slight drooping during the day probably won't hurt any plant, but it is telling you that it can't get enough water into that leaf for whatever reason...sun, heat, roots, pot, rot... It is hotter in the sun. You may have to make more shade, with man made shade cloth or patio umbrellas if it bothers you. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

-Babka

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OKâ¦..good advice. That's what I was looking for. Thanks!