Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Moving a large fully leafed out Hosta -- lots o pix

well .. time for this one again .... i am sure you wont mind ... since i renamed my files.. i had to start a new post ... enjoy ....

you will need a rope .. like clothes line ... masking tape ... shovel ... pruning shears .... a strong back ... hose and water ...

water the hosta well in advance so it is in prime shape for moving ....

here is marion bachman before we start

take the clothes line ... and get it under the hosta .. and draw it tight about halfway up the petioles .. leaf stems ... draw it as tight as you can without breaking too many leaves ....

then take the masking tape and tape the petioles above or below the rope .... do not have fear ...

go dig the hole in the new place ....

proceed to dig at least half way out from where the edge of the canopy was ... with the caveat that you have to be able to lift the darn thing after its out ...

dig/cut a circle around the whole hosta .... and then 'pop' it out ... hoping there arent any tree roots to frustrate the procedure ... i never go more than one shovel depth ... which means you will be real close on the proper depth of the new hole ...

once loose ... lift and drop the plant twice, to remove any excess soil that might fall off ... you can use the bound leaves to grab the plant to move it around .... apparently sand falls off rather easily ...

drag the plant to the new hole and throw it in .... water it well and backfill and water again ...

{{gwi:371711}}

remove the rope, but leave the tape there ... it will hold the leaves up until the roots start pumping water ... the process causes a loss of turgidity ... loss of water pressure to hold up the leaves .... in a week or two the tape will loosen itself, and you can remove it then ....

keep watering well ....

the tape will fall of in a week or 2 depending on heat and rain ... or you can remove it after you are sure the leaves will not flop ......

prune off any broken leaves ... after the tape falls off ...

water, water, water .... and she will look just like she did before the move.. weird but i cant find a picture of it settled in afterwards .... you will just have to take my word for it ....

bottom line .. they are hosta .. have no fear ... just teach them who is in charge .. and you will have a wonderful garden ...

good luck

Comments (137)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Thanks for reposting this one, Ken! Your photos tell the whole story SO well.

-Babka

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

No. 97

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bumpy

• liberteebell
    7 years ago

Timely for me; I have to move some hosta for a customer this week. This is great info and a VERY entertaining thread!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

Many times this forum is more entertaining than informative, but we keep coming back. Fun place to visit.

-Babka

Original Author
    7 years ago

bump again ... for all you newbs who overplanted that 5 square feet of earth with 50 hosta .. lol

ken

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    7 years ago

thanks for the refresher Ken! I wish Paul_in_MN would start posting again. I always enjoyed his gardens etc. from when I first started at GW.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    7 years ago

I just saw a link for this post on the facebook page of the American Hosta Society...

I wish Paul would post again too. I loved his garden pics!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    7 years ago

I always loved that picture and bought myself one because of this very picture. Mine is not that big yet though.

Glad to see your still around!

7 years ago

Good to hear from you Paul. Sorry about your balance/strength issues. Do you take a Vitamin D supplement? My dad was having issues and one of the things his Dr. recommended was Vit.D. Dad felt it definitely made an improvement for him.

Would love to see more of your old pictures if you have time to post them so I can reminisce. There are so many great gardens and posters here but I guess as a fellow Minnesotan, I always felt like yours was something to strive for. I had trouble finding old posts from you in the Gardenweb days now that it is on Houzz. Sorry, not stalking, really.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

Hello, Paul! So good to hear from you. So sorry about the balance and leg-strength issues - garden maintenance definitely takes a backseat in favour of safety any day! I hope your garden provides you with enjoyment nevertheless and that your over-all good health continues!

Sincerely,

Jo.

• jamie81
    7 years ago

Paul, your pictures were always gorgeous. I have so many old threads bookmarked because of your gardens. I agree with Sue, its nice to see what other people in Minnesota have had success with......

I just read an old post about using Milorganite you commented on. I did try it this spring, and the hosta seem to love it, unfortunately, it didn't slow my rabbits down.

Nice to see you. I wish Melissa would show up too. Another person in Minnesota with beautiful gardens.

7 years ago

Melissa posted a few weeks ago, I recall, just not sure which forum-MN gardening perhaps?

• altheatime
    7 years ago

Thank you for reposting this, Ken! I've always had excellent results following your instructions (though now I always end with sterilizing the tools!)

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

I used this tutorial back in the day so many times I can't count. 100% success every time. The one thing they do not prepare one for is all the questions and weird looks when I left the blue tape on!! I found that paint tape to be less damage causing, but mostly very available in my home. I did have my turgidity response at the ready so all is good. LOL

• smorz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I used this method to transplant some bushes for a friend, so as not to damage branches and give ease of access... it was a huge hit and simplified the job. Made me look like a genius, lolz. I gave you credit Ken :)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

Well I have no idea how I missed this thread the first, second, or third time it's bounced to the top. All I can say is, if men read romance novels they would know what turgid meant.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

Littlebug - LOLOLOLOLOL!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

Also, Paul -- ditto what they all said... I've been missing your posts, too!

Original Author
    6 years ago

time for a bump... note rope and tape trick...ken

• whitewatervol (Z 8a/7b Upstate SC)
    6 years ago

Useful thread.

• dmcf42
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hey Ken- Too much scrolling down. Will you just make a new post complete with narrative and photos? Everyone needs to see this post. Enough bumping.

-Babka

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

Babka, for me scrolling an older post like this is to read all the banter back and forth and that makes it all fun. The original start of the thread is still in place and takes you to the meat of the post, no need to scroll unless you want to....

Pieter

6 years ago

I agree that it's interesting to read all of the commentary in an older thread like this one.

Original Author
    6 years ago

let the good times roll ... time to move some of those plants that are bugging you ... show them whose boss ... leave them on the driveway for a few mins ...

ken

Original Author
    6 years ago

i reposted those pix 26 days ago ... and i will do it again.. when my headache goes away ..

ken

• Marie Tulin
    6 years ago

I used Ken's method but I would caution against watering too heavily too close to moving day. The soil will weigh a ton and you'll be mud wrestling with that hosta until you fall back exhausted into the muck. I couldn't possibly wrestle a huge wet hosta out of the ground alone at this point of my life, as I barely succeeded 5 years ago. Unfortunately the new location gets too much afternoon western sun and the hostas are burning. Burn they will, unless I hire someone to move them again. Though I could do it in the fall and not water before I move them and not fuss if I break some roots or eyes off. That's a lot to ask of myself. But my standards are falling lower every year as I concede perfectionism to aging.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    6 years ago

Ken lives in a sandbox. YMMV (your milage may vary) used to be different strokes for different folks...same deal.

-Babka

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    6 years ago

I don't see what a new thread about this every couple of years would hurt.

I know when I open a thread and all of the photos in the very first post are dead I just think "Well, crap, guess I missed out" and I move on to the next site I have lined up. It would not necessarily occur to me that if I scrolled and read for a while (a long while in this age of no attention span) I would find the photos reposted later on.

An old timer would read for sure just to see what all the interest was about. But a newbie just cruising by here for the first time might not realize that and I know when I am in a hurry to learn about a new plant I am in a hurry.

Just a thought. I have a hunky husband to move all my plants for me :) Got him out in the woods right now digging out naturalized Rose of Sharons. Eat your heart out.

Original Author
    5 years ago

can you see the old pix?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    5 years ago

Yep, your old pics are still there.

• dstickrod77
    5 years ago

I can see the old pix, but wheres the driveway?

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Something has changed then? The old pics are visible again?

• Jonny Quest
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wow, I was randomly googling to find tips for transplanting mature hosta and this popped up. This is very good info to have and the pics are very useful. I was going to use garden twine to close the plant but hadn't thought to use tape. That's a great idea as I was concerened just using twine should destroy leaves. I am moving hosted from a fully shaded location to a part sun location because of a fence install. I want to minimize stress as much as I can so this looks like the best approach. Will get new homes dug and over the next week. I am still wondering if I should bring leaf mould from the original bed to the new location as well. Probably wouldn't hurt.

i am not a hosta newbie but I am redesigning my gardens in anticipation of aging in place. Hosta are some the few perennials I will keep. Likely will stick with flowering shrubs and natives for my zone 5 Chicago garden.

• M MW
    5 years ago

Bumping this because Im still learning and had no idea about leaving the leaves taped up! I will be planting quite a few new hostas this coming spring so great info to have - Thanks for the pictures and descriptions!

5 years ago

It can be easier to move them in the spring after the pips have popped up but before the leaves have unfurled.

• Jonny Quest
    5 years ago

I agree with you whitwatervol but sometimes that isnt an option. I did get mine moved. But they had to wait before I could get them back in the ground after the fence install. They were shaded and watered well so that helped but...

This spring I will see how many survived and how much I might have set them back.

• djacob68z5sewi
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well Ken, this thread never dies apparently. Now I know the tried and true way to move a humongous hosta. I never thought it should be wet—-oh my gosh—what a muddy mess! But it must come out better that way. I also did not know about roping and taping techniques. Who da thought? So I guess I will have to be an “urban cowgirl“.... :-) Thanks again for teaching all of us about proper hosta management!

• Jonny Quest
    4 years ago

For what it’s worth all my hosta survived the move using this technique. Some remained in pots all winter but survived the -55 wind chill in pots!!! all are back in ground and thriving. Having a very wet spring helped all plants recover well. Most did not have much of a set back.

Original Author
    3 years ago

bump

Original Author
    2 years ago

time to bump this one again .... ken

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

I didn’t move a large leafed out hosta but using the same method, separated Halcyon leaves from a large June. I followed Ken’s directions and it worked perfectly! However, one thing ken doesn’t tell you........it’s a dirty job!! lol

debra

Original Author
    2 years ago

gardens dress accordingly .. and go play in the dirt ... whats this nonsense about too dirty ..

if you dont have mud in your eyebrows.. in your hair.. and gritting in your teeth.. you are a gardener..

btw ... this is the type of thing i would do at the very last.. just before heading into to the laundry room to throw everything i was wearing in the washer ... and then up to the shower ... its not the job you want to do first .. lol ..

of course.. i only lander the garden clothes.. when they stand up in the corner by themselves because there is so much dirt encrusted on them .. lol .. when too encrusted.. its hard to bend your knees.. lol ...

ken

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    2 years ago

This method works and the visuals are helpful. I wouldn't have thought about using the rope first, but it's impossible to get the tape around a big hosta without it. And Spring is always so busy that I have waited to move three fully grown hostas in early fall when they were leafed out. I moved Queen of the Seas, Regal Splendor, and Liberty, and holding the leaves up with the tape does seem to help them out. All came back great looking the next year!

• Little Bug
    2 years ago

I have found that bungee cords work great!! And you don’t have to fiddle with tape

Original Author
    last year

time for a bump .. and the bungee idea sounds great ...

ken

• arcy_gw
    last year

ooohhh the memories this evokes! Now I've taken to chunking mostly in the fall. It's just so much more realistic for me. Miss the days of 'dirt in my eyebrows'!!! Last fall I shared with my daughter who is settling into a new house. The general consensus

was my shares were very sad looking. It's great fun to 'told ya so' and gloat as they all look soo perky now!!

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

I use this process on a regular basis, works great! Thanks Ken.

Original Author
    last year

your welcome..

i think it was bruce banyai who taught me the tie it up method ... ken