Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a large fully leafed out Hosta -- lots o pix

Posted by ken_adrian z5 Adrian,MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 14:15

well .. time for this one again .... i am sure you wont mind ... since i renamed my files.. i had to start a new post ... enjoy ....

you will need a rope .. like clothes line ... masking tape ... shovel ... pruning shears .... a strong back ... hose and water ...
water the hosta well in advance so it is in prime shape for moving ....

here is marion bachman before we start

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

take the clothes line ... and get it under the hosta .. and draw it tight about halfway up the petioles .. leaf stems ... draw it as tight as you can without breaking too many leaves ....

then take the masking tape and tape the petioles above or below the rope .... do not have fear ...

go dig the hole in the new place ....

proceed to dig at least half way out from where the edge of the canopy was ... with the caveat that you have to be able to lift the darn thing after its out ...

dig/cut a circle around the whole hosta .... and then 'pop' it out ... hoping there arent any tree roots to frustrate the procedure ... i never go more than one shovel depth ... which means you will be real close on the proper depth of the new hole ...

once loose ... lift and drop the plant twice, to remove any excess soil that might fall off ... you can use the bound leaves to grab the plant to move it around .... apparently sand falls off rather easily ...

drag the plant to the new hole and throw it in .... water it well and backfill and water again ...

remove the rope, but leave the tape there ... it will hold the leaves up until the roots start pumping water ... the process causes a loss of turgidity ... loss of water pressure to hold up the leaves .... in a week or two the tape will loosen itself, and you can remove it then ....

keep watering well ....

the tape will fall of in a week or 2 depending on heat and rain ... or you can remove it after you are sure the leaves will not flop ......

prune off any broken leaves ... after the tape falls off ...

water, water, water .... and she will look just like she did before the move.. weird but i cant find a picture of it settled in afterwards .... you will just have to take my word for it ....

bottom line .. they are hosta .. have no fear ... just teach them who is in charge .. and you will have a wonderful garden ...

good luck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a large fully leafed out Hosta -- lots o pix

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 16:13

What do you do different if you plan on dividing the hosta?

o

everything... are you stealing a topic??? ... lol

to divide.. dig up ... cut in half with meat clever/shovel/big knife/whatever ....

use the tape to hold the leaves upright.. plant... leave until tape falls off ...

if you cut too small ... you just wont have the roots to pump the water to hold up a lot of leaves ... so you will lose them.. and it will reflush smaller leaves later ...

if you cut big divisions with lots of roots.. they will start pumping the water ... and recover nicely ...

ken

o

Ken - thank you so much - you are a wealth of information and are truly appreciated!

o

Good to know Ken. Thanks for the tutorial and pictorial!!

o

Thank you, Ken. Just in time! I have two large hostas to move. I never would have thought of using tape!

Mary

o

I moved a few large hosta last year to the outskirts of my property, along the road, following your earlier posts. I cannot tell you how many people stopped to ask me why the tape. It was so late in the Fall when I moved them, and I can't see them I left the tape on all winter. It works, of course!

o

I used your tape technique a couple of years ago when I got about fifty huge hostas in trade. They would never have done so well without the tape. I really appreciate that idea because it's something I would never have thought of on my own. Thanks!

o

One of the vendors at the flea market I attend has started using tape on his hostas-for-sale. They're not big ones, but the tape makes them take up less space and would be easier to transport home. I've never bought from him, but thought the concept interesting . . . particularly because I had a monster-sized Gold Regal (from another vendor) that took up way too much space in my CRV that week!

o

Just bumping this up in case anyone missed it. GREAT tutorial!

Donna

o

time to move this up again.. ken

o

Bump

o

i was just dreaming of getting my hands in the soil ... getting dirt on my clothes .. note the difference between soil and dirt ...

its 7F out there today.. 20 mph winds.. and the forum is boring ...

time for some pix ...ken

o

When dividing, make sure to include the bleaching step, after division - makes for good garden cleanliness, stopping transmission of a lot of undesirable problems.

10% bleach - cold water - for one hour is great. Change the water when it darkens.

Bruce

o

does it matter what kind of masking tape you use?

o

well .. of all the questions .... over the years.. that this post has generated.. what type of masking tape has never been asked ... lol ...

and yet i have an answer ....

i would normally say.. dollar store .. but i made that mistake before... couldnt unwind the stuff ... lol

just plain old masking tape ... the type your dad had way back when ... no high tech stuff .....

ken

o

I used this technique to move a large Big Daddy, last July, in brutal heat (What posessed me???) and it worked great.

o

bumping this back up ...

if you have a plant ... like jewel of the nile... with dees golden jewel .... take the time.. while its still in the ground.. to tape both plants individually ... dig up the whole thing .... drop the rootball a couple times to get the soil off .... or hose it off .... and pull the two plants apart ... then replant..

on this specific one ..... i have done it 3 times.. the dam jewel just refuses to stop producing dees ...

ken

o

This is a great help to those of us that are new to hosta, but have an old one that needs to be separated(paradigm reverting to green). I was afraid to do too much damage, now I know it is possible. Thank you!!

o

Bruce, I'm assuming that you're soaking that whole baby in a big container--right?
Ken, this is the best post ever since I am about to dig up some Gold Standards because I have too many of them. I have a friend who does the heavy work if I give him half the plant. He is going to be soooo impressed with your method. However, I looked under my GS, and instead of a nice fat clump, it is like 50 divisions spread out all over. So how would you tackle a problem like that????? Mary

o

hey mary ...

you might have a multitude of individual plants .... rather than one giant ... as such .. my method might be a lot of work to try to keep together.. that which is NOT whole ...

IF IT WERE ME ... i would find the outer most grouping... and try to just dig that out... loosen the soil around the exterior.. and see if i can rip it out... if it is connected by crown tissue to others further back.. revert to the method above...

if not... then why go to the bother ...

besides.. GS is one of the weed hosta ... grows like one.. can barely beat it back with a stick .. etc .... just do whatever you need to do.. and dont worry too much about it...

still tape them though

ken

o

• Posted by phyl345 chicagoland z5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 14:45

oh no! ken, say it ain't so! ... were you just being facetious about gold standard being a weed hosta? ... i started gardening five yrs. ago & the first hosta i bought was gold standard & i love, LOVE it ...

i bet i just don't recognize when you are being silly ... right? ... you really meant that it's such a wonderful hosta & extremely hardy to boot ... right? RIGHT? (grin)

phyl, who loves her gold standard

o

Now, now, don't you two get into an argument over my over-abundant supply of Gold Standard--the world's most proficient Hosta. (which doesn't make it a weed Ken LOL ). I have a love-hate relationship with it--it's wonderful as a filler (and rather pretty at that), but give it an inch, and it will take a mile--and then a lot more! And Ken I appriciate your advice on how to dig it up as it's going to another poor unsuspecting Hosta newbie who will love it for a while anyway. ROFL Mary

o

Thanks Ken - I missed this thread, recently transplanted a large Undulata, would have used this technique.

o

Thank you Ken. Although I may not need this information for a while I'm definitely putting a copy of this in my hints and tricks book for future reference. Why is it that once something is explained the fear that it generated is always lessened. I love the way everyone on this forum shares information. Thank you nd good weather gardening to all.

o

bump time...

i will get the pix back in the post when i have time ..

ken

o

Ken:
My 2 cents:
I've found that you have the back to move the whole plant, dirt & all, you have a lesser chance of encountering turgidity. I tried it on a Blue Angel that was quite large & I released the tape right after I planted it; none of the leaves plopped down. I've since done the exact same procedure with every transplant. Of course, this would not work if you are giving the plant away, but the soil around my house is exactly the same; I find it best not to disturb the microcosm living within the root ball (earthworms, friendly bacteria, enzymes, etc.) It seems to me that if you rinse the root ball clean, the plant has to start all over again...
-Luis

o

yes.. its all about the heat of the day..

the time of day ...

and your physical abilities ....

if you can move the whole ball .... go for it..

BUT.. THEY ARE HOSTA.. AND IT DOESNT MATTER either way

and i think you meant LOSS OF TURGIDITY .... when you said: you have a lesser chance of encountering turgidity. [you know.. really.. its not even a real word.. rotflmbo ...]

ken

o

"turgidity" I am not sure if that is a word or not, but a brief explanation of what is meant would be nice. Then I will understand the post? Breaking your back? Turbidity?
Water movement? I can understand that. (just trying to figure out want you meant)

Photobucket

I moved this Hosta in June a couple years back (the above pic, the plant is LARGE), using clothes line to hold up the leaves, after the move I watered it well and left the clothes line up for a couple more hours before removing. I did not wash the roots (but I almost did break my back) and cant believe that I had it all done in under 1 hour. After removing the line it looked fine! (and that was a rhyme)

And here is part of the Hosta on 05/30/09 (and that did the rhyme thing too!! argh!!!)

Photobucket

Paul

PS ... Ken, if someone incorrectly spelled a word, you should not be rolling!!
Just giving you a hard time. LOL

(and I have previewed my post enough times that I probably did incorrektly spell something!)

and I thought that this post would only take 5 minutes of my time!! stupid pictures!!!

o
turbity

the Wik thing (wikopedia?)Turbidity is the cloudiness or haziness of a fluid caused by individual particles (suspended solids) that are generally invisible to the naked eye, similar to smoke in air. The measurement of turbidity is a key test of water quality.

Fluids can contain suspended solid matter consisting of particles of many different sizes. While some suspended material will be large enough and heavy enough to settle rapidly to the bottom of the container if a liquid sample is left to stand (the settleable solids), very small particles will settle only very slowly or not at all if the sample is regularly agitated or the particles are colloidal. These small solid particles cause the liquid to appear turbid.

Paul

o

Turgidity results from the cell contents exerting pressure on cell walls....the plant is full of water.
when plant loses turgidity it wilts.
Turgid and turbid are different.
Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: turgidity

o
Ken, you can kill me later

So stop Rolling, it really is a word!! I did another Wik thing

'Turgor pressure' or turgidity is the main pressure of the cell contents against the cell wall in plant cells and bacteria cells, determined by the water content of the vacuole, resulting from osmotic pressure, i.e. the hydrostatic pressure produced by a solution in a space divided by a semipermeable membrane due to a differential in the concentration of solute. Turgid plant cells contain more water than flaccid cells and exert a greater osmotic pressure on its cell walls.

Turgor is a force exerted outward on a plant cell wall by the H2O contained in the cell. This force gives the plant rigidity, and may help to keep it erect. Turgor may also result in the bursting of a cell.

Wilting
"Plants wilt not only when they lose water through evaporation but also when they are surrounded by an aqueous solution of common salt, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, sugar or other substance, if the solution is of higher osmotic pressure, whereas they do not wilt if the osmotic pressure is lower."[1]

I will have to study this, but I am NOT to be tested on this!!

And I thank omoelegba for bringing this up!!

Paul

Yes I am done wikopeding for the night!! now I need to change my sound card and finnish my laundry! Now that I have wasted about 1.5 hours of my time wondering why someone is rolling! LOL

Google a word to find out if it exists or not. I know that I am not the smartest tool in the shed, but there are resources at my finger tips to educate myself, and then other times I do make myself look stupid. (hosta WILL grow on the driveway, with some soil on the roots)

yah , im done, I also have to change to water in my aquarium!

o
ohhhhhh!!!!!!

okay ken, now that I have read your thread for the third time, I do feel like a total, A##wipe sorry!! for some reason i took it as you said there was no such word as Turgity, oh my god kick me in the a## and I will see you guys here in about a month when i am over my total embarresment! kinda like what I said about the tool shed.

Paul

o

OMG I can't believe MEN don't know what 'turgid' means. It's the opposite of 'flaccid'. Surely, you all jest.

Westy

o

they did NOT mis-spell the word.. they left out the LOSS part ...

paul said: I do feel like a total, A##wipe sorry!! ... APOLOGY ACCEPTED .... i ONLY take offense when it is someone who has NOTHING else to say ... i am impressed with your passion Paul ... i doubt there would be anything you could say.. in furtherance of a hosta conversation ... that could offend me ... so do NOT give it another thought...

and i do believe.. westy sums it up in toto ...

in summation ... digging the hosta interferes with its ability to pump water... so being 95% water .... it losses its ability to hold itself erect [thx westy, i doubt that there will be anyone who will not remember this concept .... rotflmbo] ... and the rope and the tape give it a few days/weeks to starting pumping again .... and restore the water pressure in the cells ...

what this post needs .. is a picture of a divided hosta.. laying limp on the ground... where the leaves do not die.. but never stand back up ... so you have to wait for the next flush ...

God.. westy.. all the double entendre .... i will be chuckling about this for the rest of the summer... maybe if you just talk dirty to it.. while you are diggin it ... it will stay turgid .... OMG

have a great day folks.....

ken

o

Ken, thankyou!!
and your response to Westy has me laughing like crazy!!!

Westy That was an awsome comment! I just hope that my Hosta are not "flaccid" this summer!!

Thanks, Paul

sometimes I think that Hosta get the better of our brain and drive us crazy!!!

PS I had never heard of that "T" word, so I learned something new!

o

Okay, that has me laughing out loud - 'talk dirty to it while I'm digging it'....I might just try that. You guys are a riot and I think this is the ONLY forum on GW that has fun.

Westy

o

super paul.. i was worried you were avoiding coming back ...

ken

o

Hope I didn't miss the answer, but greenthumbz4mn asked if Bruce meant to soak the whole plant in a 10% bleach solution. I thought he meant soak the tools you use in the bleach solution.
Which is it? I'd hate to soak the plant and then find out it was the tools I was meant to do!
Jakki

o

Thanks for posting this Ken, and really thanks for the good laugh re. Turgid vs Flacid. Every time I plant or move hostas, I'll be snickering...
I moved three huge, and I mean huge hosta, intact this way yesterday, and they look terrific today.
I highly recommend using a 2 wheeled hand cart for an assist.

o
Moved three this way yesterday

Thanks for posting this Ken, and really thanks for the good laugh re. Turgid vs Flacid. Every time I plant or move hostas, I'll be snickering...
I moved three huge, and I mean huge hosta, intact this way yesterday, and they look terrific today.
I highly recommend using a 2 wheeled hand cart for an assist.

o

"OMG I can't believe MEN don't know what 'turgid' means. It's the opposite of 'flaccid'. Surely, you all jest.
Westy
"

OMG that is the funniest thing I have ever read on Gardenweb - bar none!!!!!!!!

Alexa

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 14:36

I am SO glad I opened this thread back up and read this year's updates, even though I've read it many times in the past! I wouldn't have missed the turgidity discussion for anything :-)

o

bump

o

i have mentioned this a bunch of times this week.. so bumpy, bumpy ...

ken

o

ROFLMAO!!!!!

I got to read Westy's comment all over again! LOLOLOLOLOL! Oh Lordy! I cant catch my breath. That is STILL the finniest thing I have ever read on GW!!!!!!!

Alexa

o

ken, so glad to stumble on this. your post w/ photos is definitely Fine Gardening material. Excellent instructional writing and doc. photos. This should be seen by a national audience.why not send it to FG as a first draft and see their response?
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/
a teaching website

o
RE: Moving a lar ge fully leafed out Hosta -- lots o pix

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 15:54

Laughing all over again :-)

o

I wish I had come here before I moved my Sum & Substance. That tape suggestion would have helped.

I have 4 acres and I wanted it in the back of the property in the new shade garden. I had to use a dolly to move it around to the back. I would wheel for a few minutes rest, move and rest. LOL The tape would have helped the leaves.

Photobucket

o

some idiot deleted all the pix to this post..

luckily i spoke with him.. and he put them back up ...

try to figure that one out ...

time for one more replay of this insanity???

i never checked.. and never knew that turgidity was an actual word out of turgid ... go figure.. i make up a word .. and its real ... thats right up there with talking to myself.. lol ...

ken

o

>cut in half with meat clever

Haha. My neighbors already think I'm insane! The tape trick is a great idea. I'll be using it if the weather ever breaks.

o

Thanks, Ken... my hostas are fully leafed out just yet...but this post will come in handy in a few months, LOL. Don

o

Of course it's nice to have the professionals come it for the very large ones......
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .

Moving A Very Large Hosta

Paul

o

OMG Paul... you're flippin' hilarious! I like this one better than the hobo slug!

o

NOw ya'all are just gettin' silly!!! And what the heck is the "hobo slug"?

o

Rosie:
Paul's Hobo slug:
Slug with pack

o

somehow i think that slug regrets not having a real job, once he got that stick stuck through him. I would suggest using a shamWOW as the bandana, just in case the slug would try to use it as a bandage.

this is a good post to bump up for the hosta trade this year, if that is happening this year.

o

bumpy bumpy ..

ken

o

AWESOME post!!!! Bumping this back up!!!

o

Hi, I've really enjoyed this conversation as I'm contemplating moving one of my large hostas that's hidden behind 3 bigger hosta - however, I have a different question. The "bloom" stalks that sprouted a few weeks ago (we live in the NY metro area) and are now dying .... can they be cut or should they just be allowed to die and return to the soil? Forgive my naive questions - I'm not much of a gardner (which is why we love our hosta - so easy!) thanks, Dana

o

Thought I'd add to Ken's pictorial.

I can't take the credit for this great idea.

A few years ago someone on this forum posted this idea for moving a large hosta using a saucer type sled.

My grandkids sled certainly saves my back from lifting a large hosta up 3' into a cart and than out of the cart.

Lifting 3 inches vs. 3 feet. Great idea huh?

Photobucket

o

you are a hoot sassy ...

that was me.. and it was a red one

or the garbage can top in the 4th pic ...

or here to move a ball and burlap
Photobucket

and here is the old pic ... attach a rope to it.. and it slides over grass .... only downside .. you have to buy them in winter.. in the north. where we actually have snow... of course.. these days... with the web and all.. they should be available to everyone ...
Photobucket

o
sled for moving hostas

Ken, that was you that had the sled idea?

I should of known, you have great ideas.

hmmmmmm, what happened to the pic of my sled?
It was there when I previewed my post before submitting it.

Will I EVER learn how to figure computers out?

o

Garbage can lids?
Another great idea, Ken.
Even those in no-snow areas can find them.

o

• Posted by babka 9 Northern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 23:33

No snow here, no lids either. All the towns around here have those rolling toters, with flip top lids. We've used heavy plastic sheeting in the past for moving heavy things, or a dolly.

Sassy- If you moved that photo from its original position at Photobucket, the link goes away here. It WAS there, 'cause I saw it. I believe you. ;-)

-Babka

o

Bump

bkay

o

bumping up again ...

did you know.. that if the post gets too old.. even if you search and find them.. they will not reappear at the top of the list ..

go figure

ken

o

Ken.....and you thought it couldn't/wouldn't be bumped back up....they got ya!!!!

Pieter

o

That hobo slug is a gross/humorous thing. It hurts to look at it.

And.... quoting here:
"go figure.. i make up a word .. and its real ... thats right up there with talking to myself.. lol ..."
ken

Which one of you has the better vocabulary, hmmm? (:)=

o

Crazy how such a simple idea works so well. Now masking tape has become part of my garden tool basket. I like the lid idea too and used it just recently. Anything to save my back some days!!

o

Hobo slug.

that's when I lost it.

o

And to think, all this time Bob Dole could have been marketing masking tape. Who knew?
Christine

o

it bums me out.. to see all the lost friends who posted over the years ...

ken

o

bump nice bit of info.

o

bump for newbies

ken

o

A friend is building an addition starting July 1st or so, and I get to help myself to all the hostas I can dig. This is so helpful! I just wish I could see the pictures on this device. Thank you, Ken!

o

Ken, thanks again, I just moved a mature formerly beautiful h.'Summer Breeze' with leaves tied together with tape into the garbage, due to HVX. Tape preventing injuring the petioles and leaves and spreading HVX to neighbors. Bernd

o

Why don't the photos show up? Says to upgrade to photobucket plus. I take it to mean the photo owner has to upgrade not me, right? Are the photos somewhere else?

o

• Posted by bragu 5a DSM (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 22:53

so much to relearn … each time … ken how about a pix of the yellow empress wu?

^_^ -~~

dave

This post was edited by bragu on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:26

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 18:18

Bumping this up due to the recent inquiries, terrific info within & so folks can find it easier.

;-)

o

Per this thread I taped hosta sections recently when I dug them out and prepared them for the hosta society sale.

o

Thanks Ken this is exactly what I needed!!! Now it's time to get busy!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here