Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_gary

What Happening With Stained Glass

mr_gary
10 years ago

My H. Stained Glass has about 7 solid green leaves. Is this a situation where I need to take action or will it go way next year. Thanks! Gary

Comments (6)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

the solid green, in time, will likely take over the variegation.

It's probably just 1 eye, so I'd recommend taking a sharp knife, cutting in the crown around that eye and pull it out.

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay thisismelissa, once the rain stops I'll go out and take another look. At first glance it appeared the green leaves were coming from multiple eye's but I'll verify and go from there. Thanks! Gary

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did a check and sure enough there are two eye's producing these all green leaves. Now question is do I dig up the entire hosta and separate these or try and cut them out as is. I think I may already know the answer to that seeing that they appear to be in the center. Could these be sports? The leaves are really nice looking. Gary

• User
    10 years ago

Not sure what is happening, but Stained Glass is a sport of the solid green Guacamole.

Stained Glass has no solid green sports. It has four sports including
    Amber Glass (yy)
    Cathedral Windows (yg)
    Emerald Charger (yg)
    Tortilla Chip (yy)

The first letter is the center, the 2nd letter is the margin.
    I have all 4 of those fragrant sports, all grow beautifully.

I'm not the one to advise, but if it were me, I'd dig it up and take out the two greenies and save them. Stained Glass is too pretty to be consumed by the green thing; as healthy and pretty as it looks, let it do its thing separately.

If you do split them out, I'd like to see what it looks like afterward.

The greenie might NOT be Guacamole, it could be the first "gg" sport of Stained Glass.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I'm never sure if it's a sport or a reversion. Stained Glass is a sport of Guacamole. Guacamole comes from Fragrant Bouquet. Fragrant Bouquet is a cross of Fascination' x 'Fragrant Summer. So in my head, I would say this is a sport and not a reversion. But, I'm no expert here. Would love to know what other's opinion on this is.

If it were my hosta, I would dig it up and separate the green eyes out. I'd plant the green eyes and see if they produced fragrant flowers.

Gesila

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moccasinlanding and Gesila, thank you both for your suggestions on dealing with this situation. I will dig it up and separate the solid green and get it planted and post pic's when I can.