Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

The one that got away - hosta Uju

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

I went for a trip to Fundy Beauties last week and really enjoyed tromping around the fields of hundreds of varieties of hosta. It's a very down to earth operation and I loved getting a tour from the owner Pat.

I had placed an order for H. Uju, mostly just because I'd also ordered H. Kaleidochrome and H. Vuvuzela (which is a Kaleidochrome sport along with Uju).

(Kaleidochrome and Vuvuzela in the front)

My order was all ready for pickup when I got there, but Pat had Uju off to the side. Basically he only had ONE Uju and asked me if I'd mind trading it out as it was surprisingly hard to get a hold of.

Being a new hosta gardener, I'd hate to accidentally destroy a rare hosta, so I agreed and traded it out for another streaker. But I took a picture of The One That Got Away for you guys ... isn't Uju so cute? I hope Pat will sell me a division in a few years! (picture taken with permission)

My trade was for Powder Keg (second from top right) and I'm satisfied as it is also a very pretty hosta!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 14:26

Comments (14)

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Looks and sounds like an ideal day...Uju is very pretty, but so are all of your other treasures. Mind sharing their names with us?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi mary, absolutely! I had hosta forum help on my shopping list :)

In the first photo, clockwise from top left,

H. Cheatin Heart
    H. Appletini
    H. Vuvuzela
    H. Kaleidochrome

In the last photo, clockwise from top left,

H. Blue Belle
    H. Touch of Class
    H. Powder Keg
    H. Fingerprint
    H. The King
    H. Summer Music - was told even in Nova Scotia, morning light only.
    H. Atlantis - which I think someone stole out of my driveway because I can't find it anywhere!!
    H. Sea Lotus Leaf

I also got (not pictured)
    H. Allegan Fog
    H. Hanky Panky
    H. Justine

My first big order!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:04

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Congrats on your first BIG order, that is a very nice set of hostas. I have quite a few of them, and want a few of those myself.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

A very nice selection ... and I can't follow well...what's the one, first row, right side - very wide chartreuse margin with ruffles? I've gotta have it!!!!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Wow, that is one HUGE order! Uju IS pretty. There aren't any photos of it as an adult, but the baby is very cheerfully colored.

Oh no about your Atlantis! Gee whiz I hope you find it; that one's stunning.

All beautiful choices, Robotropolis.

9 years ago

...got kicked out while editing post above...Uju is stunning! I added it (and the one IâÂÂm asking about) to my want list. :-)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! :)

Josephine, that's The King. It's amazing!!!

HostaTakeover - I happen to love every photo of Atlantis I've ever seen. if I don't find it soon, I'll order it again. I figure if I planted it somewhere it'll make itself known soon enough ;)

9 years ago

Yes it is, and I couldn't believe what I was reading, that's why I asked. Thank you! :-)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hhhhmmmm, so I just found Atlantis, bare root, on the ground under my pine tree. He's been there for at least two weeks. I planted him anyway, I guess if he lives you'll know you really can throw them on the driveway!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Hope your Atlantis survives.

Uju is gorgeous, not sure I would have been able to give it up.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mad planter, my Atlantis adventure proves why I wasn't to be trusted with Uju ;) Not yet, anyway.

• User
    9 years ago

Don't be too hard on yourself, Robotropolis. Stuff happens. I had a new Pea Pod and my little doxie girl somehow got it and did it in, or so I thought. I had a few roots and a tiny piece of crown left with a few green dots. I planted it, poor mistreated thing, and it is coming back strong. I also lost (may it rest in peace) an exquisite rare hosta that I still cannot talk about....lost it to southern blight quicker than I can say the words. Total shock. But great resolve not to let that happen on my watch again.

I have a yen to visit the Bay of Fundy. It is such a magical place in my mind....those awesome TIDES coming up the Bay....which is shaped somewhat like Mobile Bay, but with rocky shores to contain the water. One day I'll see it.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Don't give up on Atlantis yet. If you can buy a bare root hosta in a bag, there's at least a chance sitting on the ground for two weeks isn't fatal.

I have that problem with bulbs. I'll arrange all the different types in the bed, go back and plant them - and then find one poor shriveled carcass laying on the ground 6 months later.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both, you're very kind!

Mocc - although the winters are dismal and the summers are rainy, NS is still a beautiful place! Here's a photo I took in the Minas Basin on the Bay of Fundy on my drive back home from the hosta plantation:

In addition to being good hosta country, there is access to any number of clean lakes and beaches in the summer, all within a very short drive of my house downtown.