Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

New front hosta bed project

The is a work in progress but at least there has been enough progress to post a couple of photos.

This is the 'earth' that I started with - builder's filling sand.

The compost arrived and I had to cart it up the hill in wagonloads, and of course it was stinking hot that day.

From the top looking down towards the road.

With some new grass down

Comments (15)

• irawon
    9 years ago

Lovely garden, Paula. I love what you've done with the rocks and driftwood. Your hostas look very happy.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Wonderful curb appeal, Paula!

DD

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Wow--I love it! Do keep us updated with pics as the garden matures.

Kate

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Paula, that looks really lovely! I especially love the driftwood section. :-)
    Your hard work paid off in spades. Your neighbourhood is that much lovelier!

Jo

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Very nice indeed. If I put any hostas in my front yard the deer around here would gobble them up in no time!

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

A lot of hard work but wonderful results!
    Congratulation on a job well done!

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

Love how you stuck the planter in there. Very creative-- hosta hair! WW

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

That looks wonderful! What's that plant to the left of the irises in the 3rd pic? Love it!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Excellent, A+ work from you, Paula. As always.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much. It certainly swells the heart to receive accolades :)

It was hard work but I am pleased with the results, I will like it more when all of the grass is laid.

fun - Tiger Eye Sumac

• User
    9 years ago

Wow, Paula, I did not think you could transform a perfect front garden but you kicked it up a big notch there!. Where in the world do you find all that driftwood and such up there in Canada? Are you on a lake or something?

I remember your driveway beds from last year I think, maybe 2012, and they were awesome, you mentioned then something about doing a bit near that tree at the corner of your property, but honey mah DEAR, what you did is rebuild the whole place. I guess you kept the TREE? :) hehehehe
    The builder's sand is a nice touch. Beautiful hosta too.

And just enough lawn easy to keep manicured.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mocc, thank you for your kind comments.

We have a sailboat and we have a favourite spot in the bay of an island. Periodically there are bits of driftwood at the shore and I swim in and get them. DH helps, too - it is another one of his favourite activities! lol

What a good memory you have. You can see the trunk of the big tree in pic #2 and in pic #4 you can see a bit of its canopy. The new bed doesn't get much moisture when it rains so I will have to put weeper/soaker hoses in place.

The driveway bed was my last big project and at the end is where I put my mini hostas and mini shrubs.

• User
    9 years ago

And another thing I noticed in this new bed layout. YOU like the yellow middles and green margins too! That is I suppose my favorite leaf pattern. Your bed just lights up. The tall irises add height and a different texture to the area. Nice choices. The arced bed is like open arms welcoming you home.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Wow, you are a brave one. From what I have gleaned, even the Tiger Eye variety sends suckers out everywhere after about 3 years or so in the ground. It will be gorgeous, but I would be afraid of all of the work it would entail later on!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I love your new garden, it looks fantastic and your hard work was certainly worth it.

I planted a Tiger Eye Sumac in my backyard a couple of years ago and I love it. It is a pretty yellow during the summer and a beautiful orange in the fall. So far it has sent up 2 suckers and I think I will dig up one and plant it somewhere else and my mom wants the other one. I am sure I will end up pulling out a lot of them over the years but right now I am loving that tree!

Linda