Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evermore_gw

Hosta of the Day - Abba Dabba Do

One of the fastest growing hostas I have is this one. I love its upright stance, size, leaf shape, and resistance to the little critters. From comments in other threads, I know that this one appeals to many forum members.

Steve

Comments (16)

• User
    10 years ago

I do not have Abba Dabba Do. I have Zippity Do Dah, one of its sports. It also sported the fine hosta, Atlantis. Abba Dabba Do is itself a sport of Sun Power.

Here is the most recent shot of my Zippity Do Dah, if you do not mind seeing one of its sports. It's on my list to update in June for its "school picture."

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

The Zoot Suiter. One of the Centennials of my garden. I do like this one. Great grower and upright.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Very nice. I really like this one. Sorry, I can't play, I don't have one.

Gesila

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Another of one that I have with Myrle's recommendations. Second season and already have to stand back to take a photo. Love it and Moc you NEED one .

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Raining too hard for pics... but Sun Power is a large yellow hosta - but I've always thought it is not the best. Nice form, but not a lot of substance... burns too easily... grows too slowly... the right amount of light and space is essential to a nice, big Sun Power.

So it is odd that the green-centered sport is such an easy, vigorous plant. If you've got room, ADD belongs in every garden.

Again, oddly... I expected Zippity Do Dah to be as vigorous as ADD... but it wasn't for me. It is a nice hosta for me now, but took quite a while - and it doesn't get huge like ADD can.

Atlantis hasn't been fast, but not slow either... and is nice looking.

Shouldn't miss the yellow with green margin Sun Power sport in this family... a sibling to ADD. Paradise Power, for me, is a better grower than Sun Power, though slower than ADD... can get huge, with irregular green margin.

• esox48
    10 years ago

I've been trying for quite a while to get a Paradise Power to grow and I think I may have finally done it, although the plant still has a single eye.

My latest effort was to place it as closely as I could to my 72-inch Sun Power, the largest hosta in my yard. Haven't measured it yet this year.

My ADD used to be a very large hosta, but it began decreasing in size and I finally cut it up in a bunch of pieces, trying to find a few good eyes. We'll see what happens.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

My Sunpower must be in the perfect spot!

I didn't take a picture, but I saw a huge hosta in a private garden today that was labled Sunpower, and sure enough, there were gold leaves under a huge mound of green w/ gold edged leaves! Did sorta look like Abba Dabba Do, tho.

Sandy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The only one I have from the family is 'Atlantis' but it's a good one, in my opinion. Pic from a couple weeks ago.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I have all of them,and I think Paradise Power is the best grower of them all. Mine is huge,while I have a Sun Power that is years older,but is still small. Atlantis is also bigger than Sun Power,and it is years younger! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

I really like my Paradise Power too. This picture was taken with it beneath the yella umbrella, on June 4th. I've had it since May10th.

and here it is the day before, when there was no yella umbrella to change the color.

Well, might as well put in Sun Power.....
    What a neat family of hosta!

• esox48
    10 years ago

Hostafreak....if you have a Sun Power that is a few years old and still small, it's in the wrong place.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Nautical Star look a like? I would have never thought that ADD was related to SP. Here is my Sun Power.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Esox,This place where my Sun Power is the third place it's been.It didn't like it every time I moved it,so I'm not moving it again. Besides,it is finally starting to grow good again,so it's staying where it is. My Paradise Power is just a few feet away,but is really big. It's just the nature of how a hosta wants to grow. I am not going to fuss about it,just stating the facts,ma'am! Phil

• esox48
    10 years ago

Sun Power loves to grow. All of its sports love to grow. Nearly all of its seedlings, and I have a bunch of them, love to grow. If they aren't growing, they are in the wrong place.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Here is my Paradise Power this year,from May. Phil

• esox48
    10 years ago

For anyone who might think Sun Power won't grow, here's a shot from last year. Haven't taken any pictures this year.